This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

(old) Miakael on metalcore

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by {-sapob-}, Jun 14, 2009.

1. {-sapob-}

{-sapob-} Member

Sorry to post an old article but i had never seen/read this before,
    Mikael nearly in hot water.
    But he's right though,
    its just a classic case of a little tunred into alot.
    Im sure acouple of you would have been on this forum for this actually.

i tried to search for the original thread(s) i found one but it was closed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opeth frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt has commented on the negative reaction to the remarks he made to Australia’s Time Off magazine about the state of today’s metal scene.

In an interview posted at TimeOff.com.au, Åkerfeldt is quoted as saying, “Most of the bands today, I don’t really like them. When I grew up it was like heresy to compare Killswitch Engage and whatever you got going with Maiden and Priest. Especially in America, it seems to be a little trend goin’… it’s corporate business. The bands feel manufactured, almost like boy bands with guitars. I don’t want my bands to be fucking pretty.”

Writing to Opeth’s official forum, Åkerfeldt defended his comments, stating, “The quote [published by Time Off magazine] is a bit misleading. I don’t particulary like Killswitch Engage but have nothing against them really. All I was saying that I don’t see the same quality in them as I do in PRIEST or MAIDEN. Partly because they were innovators and [Killswitch Engage] to me sounds like a rehashed version of what’s been going on in Sweden for 16 years or more. Had you lived in Sweden, you’d share my opinion on that I’m pretty sure.

“Then the thing with the boy-band comment…was not addressed to [Killswitch Engage] but an observation of the overall ‘nu’ or whatever metalcore scene in the U.S. And here I stick to my guns… I will not deny anyone liking these bands and what the fuck would they care what I think is good or bad anyways.”

An hour later, Åkerfeldt — who is currently on tour in Australia — returned to the official Opeth forum to address the comments from rock site, Blabbermouth, visitors regarding the above topic. He wrote, “Wow, just saw the Blabbermouth thing and it really escalated out of control there. All I can say is that the interview has mistakes. For one, I didn’t compare [Killswitch Engage] to Priest when I was growing up as…well, they weren’t around then. Blabbermouth is also out for drama taking that line as the headlining quote.

“I hope people are smart enough to understand that there are U.S. bands that I completely adore…like Nevermore and Tool. I was only talking about the so-called metalcore or nu-metal scene and it looks as if I was bashing the whole of the US metal scene.

“We’re jealous? OK, whatever…

“Seems a lot of people won’t allow me to have or express my taste in music anymore, so I guess I’ll have to become a fan of whatever’s selling to prove I’m not jealous.

“And I’ve met the guys in [Killswitch Engage] once and they seemed like nice dudes (not that pretty either), I’d never publicly bash a band that didn’t deserve it. And is it an attack… by saying Priest and Maiden mean more to me than [Killswitch Engage]?

“All of you gotta understand that out of the zillion interviews I do, some will take the so called ‘good stuff’ and put it forward and make me seem like a prick.”

Source: Blabbermouth
    http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/opeth-on-metalcore/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Very interesting. Didn't know about that story. Media are so stupid sometime.

3. CladInDarkness

CladInDarkness Under A Blackened Sky

I completely agree with what he has to say.

4. Widows Sulk

Widows Sulk New Metal Member

who's miakael

5. {-sapob-}

{-sapob-} Member

lol,
    Sorry i didnt notice that,
    if i had before i posted obv. i would have changed it for the better.

6. Opion

Opion Member

Hah, I remember when that happened. Fucking blabbermouth....he took it in stride though thats for sure :kickass:

7. biggsy

biggsy New Metal Member

obv spoke the complete truth

8. Prophet178

Prophet178 Member

I don't get why bands like Killswitch get tagged as metalcore. They're nu-metal. I wonder what Mike thinks of real metalcore bands like Converge and Botch.

9. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

metalcore and nu-metal are often confused because people typically only know that those classifications mean bad things, they often don't know what the actual classifications imply.

10. Prophet178

Prophet178 Member

I think its that people don't want to admit its nu-metal so they attempt to call it metalcore.

11. de_aztec

de_aztec Member

anything with core in its name sucks

12. Velokki

Velokki New Metal Member

I agree with Mikael entirely. I hate the cute U.S emo boy-bands that play metal core.

13. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

Or the lame attempts to be br00tal by the mask-wearing tools from slipknot.

14. biggsy

biggsy New Metal Member

botch is good

15. TommyPickles

TommyPickles Member

...Blabbermouth is still relevant?

There is opinion, and then there's blabbermouth :rolleyes:

16. hexwind

hexwind Creepiness Och Terrorism

That's too stupid what the fucking media does . Didn't know about that btw.. was that long ago?
    Mike is good at expressing himself in a great intellectual way... just like Necrobutcher in Metal a headbanger's journey :heh:

17. Snusgropen

Snusgropen Tandköttet

Real metalcore, ie bands combining metal and hardcore, are the so-called crossover bands of the 80's: S.O.D., Crumbsuckers, D.R.I., etc.

Referring to either Killswitch Engage or Botch as metalcore is folly, Municipal Waste would be a better example of modern metalcore.

What's next, calling Lamb Of God thrash? People need to sort their shit out.

18. Antyman

Antyman En Ful Jävel

^ not to seem like a douchebag, but Lamb of god, together with Devil Driver is refered by many as "brutal thrashmetal" :lol:

I don't really get what those people got that from. But I guess it's impossible to put a genre-tag on any band, unless they created the genre themself.
    it's hard today, with kazillions of genres to chose from.

19. Snusgropen

Snusgropen Tandköttet

Oh for fuck's sake. :ill:

If anyone needs me I'll be up in the clocktower with my rifle taking out random pedestrians.

20. davegrohl

davegrohl Member

haha.

in general i preffer nu-metal. i grew up with that (and alternative). Its way better than anithing with "core" on it.