This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Opinions: Best/worst cannibal corpse?

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by LethalCockSlap, May 24, 2021.

1. LethalCockSlap

Jeez, they have a library of albums...the song "Fucked with a knife" is definitely their best song imo, and their first album is great. I'm wondering because there's a certain segment of people who think they ruined their music, some attribute it to Chris Barnes leaving the band, but i think it's more complicated than that, as Gore Obsessed is a great album.

How do you rank cannibal corpse's music? Old stuff better, new stuff better?

2. EchoForever

EchoForever HAIL!

best album from them is Butchered at Birth
    the chris barnes era is the most consistent and caps off with The Bleeding which is an amazing album, but considering how that dummy went and made SFU i think cannibal corpse is better with out him
    the corpse grinder era put out some great stuff, Torture is my second favorite CC album
    super fucking dirty bass tone on that album

CiG and zerostatic like this.
  3. Raith

Raith Only the trvest will survive.

Tomb Of The Mutilated is easily their best work (and no, I'm not saying that because Hammer Smashed Face is on there), and the Chris Barnes era has the most.... I don't know "gorey" and "horror-movie" like stuff to them. It feels like after The Bleeding they kinda drifted away from the whole "disgusting gore" concepts, which sucks.

That's not to say their post-Barnes era is bad, I think Violence Unimagined and Evisceration Plague are genuine masterpieces of Death Metal.

zerostatic likes this.
  4. zerostatic

zerostatic Damned in Flames

I prefer Corpsegrinder over Barnes and would say the best albums from the Barnes era are The Bleeding and Tomb of the Mutilated. For Corpsegrinder I consider Galleries of Suicide, Vile, and Red Before Black to be the weaker albums and Bloodthirst, Gore Obsessed, and The Wretched Spawn the best.

5. CiG

CiG What Makes a Man Start Fires?

Well yeah because Barnes was their lyricist and dictated a lot of their early aesthetic. It's not a feeling it was a literal complete change from The Bleeding to Vile which had every member contribute to the lyrics for the first time.

It was essential that they replace Barnes, as anybody who is familiar with Six Feet Under knows, he devolved into an absolutely dogshit vocalist and I can't even imagine how shit Cannibal Corpse would have eventually sounded with that barking dog dickhead still on the mic. The Barnes-era was a special thing but ultimately had a very short shelf life. Maybe Vile would have been good with him on it (half the album was written with him in mind and he even recorded some demos of some tunes before he left) but onward into the late 90's and early 00's? He would have destroyed that band.

Just listen to how terrible he sounded by 2003.

Then compare that to how Corpsegrinder sounded in 2004. Worlds apart. Anybody who says Corpsegrinder ruined Cannibal Corpse and they should have kept Barnes around is fucking delusional.

1. The Bleeding
    2. Tomb of the Mutilated
    3. Butchered at Birth
    4. Eaten Back to Life
    5. Gallery of Suicide
    6. Bloodthirst
    7. Vile
    8. Torture
    9. The Wretched Spawn
    10. Gore Obsessed
    11. Kill
    12. Violence Unimagined
    13. A Skeletal Domain
    14. Evisceration Plague
    15. Red Before Black

#5 CiG, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
  6. Podgie

Podgie Young Man, Old Soul

The Bleeding will always be my favourite album.

Though saying that,

7. 616

616 Member

Love Cannibal Corpse, particularly butchered at birth, evisceration plague, the wretched spawn, and the bleeding

zerostatic likes this.
  8. zerostatic

zerostatic Damned in Flames

The Wretched Spawn is the album that made me take CC seriously. Before seeing the making of DVD for that album I always dismissed them due to the over-the-top gore. Love the title track on Evisceration Plague, a top ten CC song. :kickass: