This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ot:daylight dies production

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by preludetotorment, Jan 11, 2007.

1. preludetotorment

not kse! but the band daylight dies. I just picked up their newest album dismanteling devotion and i have to say that i think i have heard the perfect rythem distortion. I dont think i have heard anything like it before. Im not a fan of their lead tone though , its not very rich but that rythem distortion...omg

Any idea as to what they used? ...the album as a whole sounds fantastic :headbang:

2. cobhc

cobhc Amiga Enthusiast

I think it was a 5150 and a TripleXXX. Their bass player posts on here so maybe he can help.

3. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I've asked Egan more questions than I think he's wanted to answer about this record, as I too think that it has the best guitar tone I've ever heard.

The drum tones are amazing, too, as well as bass, vocal, and acoustic... overall I think this is one of the best productions I've ever heard.

Writing wise... absolutely perfect. Seriously - everytime it rains, I just throw it on and sit back and soak it all in. Listening to Daylight Dies is probably the most cathartic experience I've ever had.

The gats were 2 tracks 5150II and 2 tracks XXX, both running into a Peavey Sheffield cabinet (one of those ones with the metal grill and the red magnet logo at the bottom). Mics were SM57 and e609 silver in the Fredman positions, the e609 being the one at a 45º angle. Those went into a Digimax FS, and then via lightpipe into an 002R.

The guitar itself was an LTD of somesort (Egan couldn't remember the exact model), Strat shaped, 81/85 set. No tubescreamer.

The cab was in an iso box they built, measuring roughly 4x11x7 (HxW:rofl:), and then placed on an Auralex Great Gramma pad. I recently picked up one of those pads and can say that I'd highly recommend it - it tightens up the bass response really, really well. The cab was firing at a wall of foam, and every surface of the isobox was covered in some kind of absorptive material.

The bass was one of Egans custom Roscoe 5 strings with Bartolini pickups, split into a Sansamp Bass Driver and then into his Aguilar bass head, which was used as another 'giant' DI.

That should be about it for the gats/bass.

4. Kazrog

Kazrog CEO/CTO, Kazrog, Inc.

Incredible album, incredible production. Just listened to it twice last night...

5. LydonB

LydonB Member

Yeah one of my favorite albums released last year. When I saw them with Katatonia I actually enjoyed their set more than Katatonias! They put on a great show as well. Awesome stuff.

6. RootBoundApollo

Lockport, IL. Our water has Radium in it.
    what kind of music do they play

7. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Most of the time I'd say its like Opeth blended with Katatonia.

It's super melodic, melancholic metal.

8. LydonB

LydonB Member

earlier Katatonia imo. They remind me of Rapture as well. I would kill to see Rapture.

9. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

Thanks guys. It's very flattering that some of you are into the album as I consider this forum to be a tough audience (for production especially).
    DSS3 pretty much covered all of the technical stuff. Everything but the drums was recorded in my project studio however I have to surrender any credit for the production to Jens Bogren who is simply amazing.

10. preludetotorment

Thanks egan,
    That foam/iso booth technique does allow the mics to pic up that true speaker sound as opposed to unwanted reflection from untreated walls. Your bass tone realy stands out too.

The atmosphere reminds me alot of hypocrisy's the final chapter..everything is so huge.

11. sparkyness

sparkyness Explore The Space

I just checked this out for the first time…absolutely stunning stuff so just bought the album/shirt combo deal.

Words can't describe that rhythm tone….simply perfect.

12. Sinistas

Sinistas Life Hangs Motionless

The production on Dismantling is amazing. Great album to boot.

13. nwright

nwright Member

What are the terms of the measurements for the iso box? Feet, meters, etc.? Using any of those standards sounds like it would be a huge iso box.

14. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Feet - it was pretty big, from what I understand.

15. nwright

nwright Member

11 feet wide?

16. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

Yeah, the box was large and oddly shaped. Those measurements are in fact in feet.
    When Barre (my guitarist) and I built it we were happy w/ the results but I certainly wouldn't recommend it if you don't have to have your cab in a box.
    We were dealing w/ a single large room for our live room and our control room. The iso box was built to keep our control room functional rather than achieving a tightness w/ the cab. In fact, most of the work and all of the foam was used to prevent the cab from sounding worse b/c of reflections and standing waves in the iso box.

Here is a diagram of what we built if you are still interested.