This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

OT: GAS PRICES WHERE U ARE

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by kittybeast, May 2, 2006.

1. kittybeast

kittybeast Member

In my area gas just keeps going up and up and up

thursday $3.19 for 87 octane
    saturday $ 3.24 for 87 octane
    monday $ 3.29 for 87 octane

what's going on where you live? If it weren't for the fact that I've been in one accident and almost get hit (in my big white ford explorer)by unattentive drivers making lane changes..... I'd be riding my motorcycle to work.

2. Dän

Dän Guest

ah, im guessing that your American, do you guys pay by the Gallon?

anyways, down here we pay by the litre, its around $1.30-40 these days!!!

3. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I remember when it was $1.09 for 87. And I'm only 21.

Alternative fuel is a highly underrated issue!

4. metal_monkey

metal_monkey Queen of the Aberrant!

Damn I pay $2.79 for 87 octane

5. metal_monkey

metal_monkey Queen of the Aberrant!

America needs different modes of transportation, we are too dependant on cars. There used to be alot more railways but they did away with them...STUPID idea.

6. wdiv

wdiv Rattlehead

$2.99 today. Who knows tomorrow. We're being absolutely raped by the fuel companies, who are all making record profits every quarter.
    I remember paying $0.89 for gas driving thru Atlanta in 1999.

7. kittybeast

kittybeast Member

oh come now...as the FTC ruled it's fair market value pricing. *insert middle finger here :err:

same station today $3.35 for 87 octane

8. rokk

rokk Long Live =^.^=

Its $2.75 here now (just went up 6 cents overnite!) and I paid $3.79 in Cali last week. And the real pisser is that I heard on the news that in Saudi Arabia (where I understand they produce a lot of our crude oil) they are paying .65 cents a gallon! Shitters! or is that Shiitters? :lol:

NP: RAGE - Speak of the Dead

9. sumairetsu

sumairetsu Joker's Favorite

$3.41 when I pulled into the gas station this evening.

Yesterday, it was $3.33.

Last week, $3.29.

Expect the price to continue rising as China has beat us to the Saudis in purchasing more oil.

What's even more ridiculous is that the head of the Energy department or whatever it is says these gas prices are going to remain this way for 2 to 3 more years. Fortunately, my county has a decent public transportation system if you don't mind spending 2 hours for a 10 mile ride. I'd take the buses if my working hours didn't begin at 5 a.m.

Funny...isn't Bush going to be out of office then? And, isn't it just a strange coincidence that everyone in his administration is involved in one way or another with big oil companies? :Smug:

10. Zack

Zack charting my way to top :)

Isn't it 40 cents in venezuela?

11. Trans-Siberian Outcast

I'm convinced this is all a matter of Bush "paying back" all his oil buddies who paid the way to get him elected in the first place. Prices will drop when we get him out of office...providing we don't elect another oil baron.

I've already accepted that gas prices are going to kill me again this summer just like they did last. When I was off on my summer sabbatical (where I spend alot of time camping and driving around the mountains) I was putting about $35 in my tank every 5 days and I drive a little 4-banger Toyota with really good gas mileage. It was gobbling up my spending money so fast I had cut down on my adventures and start staying closer to town.

I can understand a product or service going up in price a little each year...that's called inflation. But two years ago in May I paid $1.37/gallon. Now I pay $3.05. That's not inflation, that's a fucking nuclear explosion. And the worst part it doesn't just affect one part of our lives. It affects everything because groceries go up, electricity goes up, special services go up. It's not just getting hit at the pump, the trickle-down effect is devastating on those with low budgets.

NP: Winter's Bane - Redivivus

12. Flaming Mercenary

Flaming Mercenary Newly Joined

It's about the same in North East Australia

13. tsorl

tsorl Borne on Wings of Steel

In Finland it's about 1.3€ per liter. Or about 6.3$ per gallon (1€=1.26$, 1 liter=0.26 gallons). Luckily I don't drive...:ill:

14. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

I live just north of the Illinois/Wisconsin border. Gas (for regular unleaded) 87 octane has yet to go above $2.99/gal. The service stations I deal with are both at $2.87. I will not patronize Mobil/Exxon unless I'm on empty, or they are the closest station for me to push my empty gas tank to.

The issue with oil prices MAY be tied to Bush, but the biggest problem is the oil speculators driving the price up, and the oil companies raising their proces in sympathy. They DO NOT have to. Another issue the media (both left & right) have yet to touch is why is it when some sheik has laser surgery to remove a hemmorhoid, the price of gas goes up 10 cents THAT day. if oil prices plummet, it's days or weeks before we see relief at the gas pump.

Final thought: While alternative fuel sources are of extreme importance, it's as if we've sounded the air raid alarm AFTER the attack was over. We're YEARS away from any widespread hydrogen or ethanol usage. We should have started on that decades ago. I also tend to pick fights with the Euros who say "it's about time the US pay outgrageous prices for gas". Unfortunately, as someone alluded to earlier, we DON'T have the country-wide mass public transportation. This is partially due to lack of planning, and the size of our country. If I could take public transportation to work, I would. In a heartbeat. I'm currently consuming $132/week in gas, that's $528 a month. I end up getting about 1/4 tank a week for my own usage, the rest is for the 116 mile roundtrip journey to work. I'm recovering from being out of work for 2 years, and am not making enough to cover much more in transportation costs. If gas hits $4/gallon, I WILL be forced to work locally for immigrant wages, and my IT career will be history. Beware of me the day that happens, I guarantee you that a different J-dubya will emerge. I've seen rock bottom (cue UFO!) just a couple short years ago, and to see it again is something I can't physically or mentally tolerate. Somrthing needs to be done about the price of oil NOW. Removing taxes, opening up reserves, etc. Planning for 10 years down the road as the ONLY solution is going to change a lot of people, most, not for the better. Look, a rare serious post from me here!

J-Dubya

15. Trans-Siberian Outcast

$6 a gallon in Finland isn't a fair comparison. America is HUGE, especially the west where I live.

Living in Phoenix, Arizona, I have to allow 7 hours driving time to get to Disneyland in my neighboring state of California. It takes 6 hours to get to Las Vegas, and 12 hours to get to Salt Lake City, Utah, another neighboring state of Arizona. Everything is so spread out here and we are all dependant on shipping to keep us alive. $6 per gallon would kill the economy dead. D-E-A-D.

NP: Benedictum - Uncreation

16. Trans-Siberian Outcast

And who makes money off this special arrangement? BOTH! Ironic, ain't it? The whole system is rigged and it's a disgrace to the constitution. Methinks our founding fathers failed to figure in the GREED factor.

Or, maybe they did and our country was founded keeping the rich, rich, and the poor, poor.

Definitely food for thought.

NP: Edguy - Rocket Ride

17. Dän

Dän Guest

in QLD there is no state tax on fuel though right?
    coz i know at least in SA we get taxed by the federal gov, the state gov, excise and GST.

It wouldnt surprise if we pay more tax than anythin else, oh well what can you do

18. Hawk

Hawk Henri Serton
    Staff Member

That is indeed the main reason, together with the increasing demand of China and India. No evil plot there, well maybe an evil tax plot. Here in the Netherlands more than 50% of the price consists of several taxes.

19. SickBoy

SickBoy Croatian Panzer division

Maybe you Americans should ditch that oversized cars you adore so much and use smaller cars with less fuel consumption... :p
    From the prices that Kitty gave I suppose it's approx. a dollar per litre in US.
    Here, it's 1.40$ per litre and in EU even more!

Well, the gas prices won't fall, the oil reserves are drying out as we speak, I think more and more cars will use natural gas as a fuel. It's both cheap and clean! I read yesterday that the daily amount of gas burnt during oil extraction (you know, those big flamethrowers near the oil pumps) would suffice to power all the cars in the world.

20. carnut

carnut \m/

Government is getting a huge extra income with raising fuel prices, and I'm talking HUGE. We also have about 50% tax on fuel and if you think about the price doubling in a very short period this was a golden gift for the government...But what do we see of it ? Nothing, Zip, nana !! My car taxes went up, the tech inspection prices tripled, ... Well, all prices went up !! What do them big money earning politicians care ???

Luckely I have a car that drives on LPG (earthgas), price of that is much lower...Government yet had no courage to raise LPG prices much as it's supposed to be a much cleaner fuel than normal gasoline