This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Picks Discussion

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by WildC, Jun 10, 2013.

1. WildC

WildC New Metal Member

Lately I have tried the Dunlop Jaz III used by Alexi Laiho, and I hate it. I can't seems to play clean with it.

I have been using the Dunlop tortex triangle shape 1.14
    http://elderly.com/images/accessories/PK/PK29P-114.jpg
    for both, acoustic guitar and electric since a long time I can not find anything that would fit me better.

So I have been wondering, what about you guys ? Which pick do you use and why ? :popcorn:

2. HLiNa

HLiNa Member

I play with Jaz III for a year or two and they are awesome! Don't remember when I droped it last time, perfectly fits to my picking technique.. and I love the size.. pinch harmonics are so easy with it. :)

3. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

How thick is jazz3? Looks well shaped to me might wanna try one.
    edit: I prefer dunlop ultex standard 1-1.14.

4. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

I use the tortex HS pick that is similar in shape to the Jazz III.....I prefer the feel of the tortex over the glossy feel of the Jazz III's.

I use the green, purple, and black ones.

[​IMG]

5. Sany

Sany Member

The Jazz III should be 1,3mm thick.

Ive buyed my first one 2 years ago. After 2-3 Days training its awesome for solos and Power-Chords. I love the Shape, other picks are not so "sharp". I gave one an friend and he plays now the red Jazz ones :D

If you want to play Chords over 5 Strings, then i use bigger Ibanez picks with 0.81mm thickness.

6. <-Warheart->

<-Warheart-> † Fuck You Very Much †

I used to and loved them but after a while they felt too small so I ordered some Jazz III XL which were great. Then I went back to normal ones, then to the Tortex ones posted above, then back to the XL's. I'm currently using a Paul Gilbert pick because I can't find any of the others lol

7. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

These might be up your ally if you prefer the sharp pick but full sized in your hand. I tried them but they were a little too big. Wish they would make one between the HS and the full sized sharps.

[​IMG]

8. Inceptionist

Inceptionist It's Not My Funeral

Red jazz III, I've tried so many picks.... But the jazz III's are just the most smooth to me. If they're too slippery for anyone you could try the ultex ones, those do not slide at all but they just don't pick as clean as the others for me. I bought some tortex ones too but i just didn't like them, the stubby's are alright too. Anyone try those V-Picks? I haven't bought them cuz they're a bit expensive but i've heard good things.

9. Marowak

Marowak Member

I've got to try Jazz III XL one day. I love the tone and attack of the Jazz III, but I couldn't get along with the size.

I've been using these since forever. :lol:
    [​IMG]

Not the greatest pick tonally, but it's comfortable enough.

Personally, I want to take the Latvala path and try using brass. Just for kicks. ;)

10. Arystar

Arystar Kissing In The Shadows

I like the Red Jazz III XL most also :

[​IMG]

Yesterday i bought some of the regular black Jazz III but they are just way small, they slip backwards in my hand and my index finger that holds the pick (in the righ way lol) gets scraped just above the nail. i have big hands and the regular ones are just to small for me. the XL's play great though

and if there arent any XL's in my music store atm i just sharpen the old one with a file and they are good as new :)

11. MadYarpen

MadYarpen Member

Currently I use Dunlop Tortex III. It is pointy, which I like (I like jazz picks too), but quite big - and that thakes some time to get used to. 1.35 is stiff enough and lets me play quite precisely (for my skill, that is). Anyway - at the moment it is my Pick of Destiny ;)
    [​IMG]

Before this one I had Planet Ways Black Ice:
    [​IMG]
    They are fantastic - pointy enough and their surface is great. Not glossy, not tortex-like, but they are good, not slippery at all, and have pleasant feel. They are smaller than Dunlop above, and now it is a problem for me sadly, I keep touching strings with my fingers (not as small as jazz, though). But worth trying, even if they wear out quickly.

12. EvilKatarn

EvilKatarn Jaaniöö, Bodomi Öö

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tried a lot of stuff early on and I stuck with these.

13. <-Warheart->

<-Warheart-> † Fuck You Very Much †

I tihnk my sister has one of my XL's but I'll dig one back out of a box somewhere under my bed and give it another go.

14. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

I generally use those picks to play.

[​IMG]

I have it for more than a year now because it's my last one. You never want to lose your last pick.

15. predator2353

predator2353 Member

I'm using one of those

[​IMG]

16. Norbix

Norbix Member

I'm using those max grips, too. Pretty nice for summer if it's hot

17. MrMan

MrMan Member

I have several V-Picks but I've never been able to get along with them that well, acrylic picks that are 1.5mm or thicker are too chirpy for me plus I tend to prefer picks close to the 1mm mark anyway. I've been using various 1.1mm Gravity Picks for a while now and love them, they're acrylic like V-Picks but you can get them in fluorescent green :cool:

1.1mm is the sweet spot for me, it's still very stiff and retains all the properties of acrylic but it has a slight bit of flex and there's no chirp whatsoever. They last for a long time and they get a sort of scratchy attack to them when they're a little worn which is my favorite part.

Other than that I'll use TIIIs, Tortex jazz, InTune XJJ, sometimes Dava Jazz Grips. Hard to go wrong with tortex IMO, especially for rhythms.

18. Villanueva

Villanueva Member

What do you guys think about metal picks? I've used them for a few months now and I really like them. They last a long time without wearing out, they become very slippery with sweat though, I know they sell them with plastic grips or something like that, but I haven't found those.

19. Inceptionist

Inceptionist It's Not My Funeral

I might have to look into gravity picks then, those sound awesome. All those other ones are great too

And about the metal picks, my friends got some and said he loved them until they absolutely shredded through his strings in no time. Maybe that's just him though, but they sound interesting

20. Marowak

Marowak Member

After a 3 year break, I started using Jazz III's again. My technique must have been different back then, because we're getting along very well these days. :)