This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Plugs... Yes or No?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by wolf2112, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Did you wear earplugs at PP???

1. Absolutely

66 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. No Way / Oops I Forgot

18 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Kathy

Kathy member

Never worn earplugs in my 36 years of going to concerts...I think Nugent and the Amboy Dukes blew my right ear out in the early `70s, though...:loco: We just never wore them, didn't know anybody that wore them, so I never got in the habit of wearing them.

2. dagny_t

dagny_t Member

I never used to wear them, but after the mid-week show on Wednesday, my ears were ringing like mad. Luckily, my friend had a pair she could loan me, so I was protected for everything other than DSO (I wanted to hear everything, so I left them out).

3. Mosquito

Mosquito oh noes!!

Yes, I wear them to all concerts. I have the ones everyone else here is talking about. Losing hearing to shows is stupid. Stupidity is not metal.

Justin

4. Dustro25

Dustro25 The Land Of Glerz Cove

This is what I do. It works.

5. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

Always at a metal show. Wear them at Jaxx and at PP USA. Just standard operating procedure for me. I wear the good ones from Etymotic Research.

6. Guile

Guile PPUSA circa 2005

No, but I wish I had during the announcement for PP-XI

7. wolf2112

wolf2112 Living in a Dreamscape

As a musician, I personally can't imagine not wearing them. I don't know who made the decibel reduction filters for my customs plugs (for some reason Etymotic sounds familiar) but they're fantastic. They only reduce the volume by 25db without cutting any frequencies out (although I use 15's when performing).
    The single best investment a musician (or concert goer for that matter) could make.

8. shreddy

shreddy Member

I always wear my Etymotics, recently found some great deals for them on Amazon. I have to get a couple more pairs one to keep in the car and another to keep in my keyboard case. The one set is on my key ring and is always with me but its good to have backups.

White ones for $5.90 BP model not sure if those are the smaller ones like the Baby blues for smaller ear canals.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEARCH-ER20BP-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B000CC1RPS/[/ame]

Red - $7.50 what I'm using now
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-White/dp/B0015WNZBI/[/ame]

9. OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver BECAUSE FALCONER

I always wear ear plugs for concerts. Going deaf is not metal.

10. Sumeet

Sumeet Member

If by "cheap ones" you're referring to the crappy foam or wax earplugs that are available in drug stores, then yes, it makes a huge difference. Those earplugs are designed to block out as much sound as possible. The problem is, they block out a lot more high-frequency sound than low-frequency sound. That's great for a noisy construction site or something, since excessive high-frequency sound does more damage to your ears than excessive low-frequency sound... but at a concert, the result of these cheap earplugs is that a lot of the higher-pitched sounds, like lead guitars, get too muted, and you wind up hearing a muddy mix of mostly low-end frequencies. On the other hand earplugs made specifically for music, such as the Etymotics earplugs many have mentioned here, are designed to reduce the sound level more evenly across the frequency spectrum, so you get a much more even reduction in overall volume, as opposed to having too much of the high-frequencies blocked out. The bottom line is, foam earplugs will ruin a concert, to the point where it's hardly even worth going. Definitely get a pair of earplugs designed for music. Keep in mind, it won't be 100% pristine sound as if you were wearing no earplugs at all... but it still sounds good, and will greatly reduce the chances of long-term hearing loss, which is cumulative (i.e., your hearing gets damaged a little more every time you are exposed to extremely loud sound). Seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me.

11. longshot9

longshot9 Member

AMEN!! :headbang:

12. imaskinbeater

imaskinbeater clinically insane drumnut

Metal shows every time. Some Jazz shows I can get away without them.

Etymotics :headbang:

13. jaimek

jaimek incorrigible

I *always* wear plugs. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm *already* hearing-impaired; I'm not going to make it any worse!

14. Rick Pierpont

Rick Pierpont Odin's Court Guitar

In my younger days, no I never wore them, but I have been wearing them faithfully for 15+ years now. As much as I am around concerts, band practice, etc... it is an absolute must! I have tried the Etymotics and they work great, but I always have a difficult time getting those style in my ears. My ear canals are smaller, so they don't fit too well. I just use the cheapy foam ones everyone here hates. After so many years of using them, my brain has adjusted and I don't mind them at all. I have no trouble hearing guitar solos. When playing live, I usually either us in-ear monitors or wear one in my right ear to protect me from the loud drums!

And I agree 100%, losing my hearing is NOT metal. BTW, I am 40, so I need my ears to last a little longer. ;-)

15. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

Always! I love music too much to give up what's left of my hearing.

16. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

I never used to until about 2 years ago when at drum lessons my teacher had the metronome running through a PA system at full volume. He didn't realize it was at full volume until he turned it on and my ear practically exploded as it was right next to the PA. My hearing is permanently screwed now. So I wear plugs cause I'd like to keep what little hearing I have left. :lol:

17. kellsco

kellsco Member

If you want to have a conversation with me, don't try it where there is much back ground noise like a bar or party. And don't expect me to turn the TV down much when you go to bed and I stay up. All this and more can be yours if you go your 20's and most of your 30's not wearing plugs.

I wear them all the time now.

18. LunaTEKKE

LunaTEKKE Madness Reigns

I've already got some hearing loss in the higher frequency ranges, so earplugs are a must for me! I use the high fidelity Hearos, which cost about $15 and don't ruin the sound.

Wish I'd known about these in my 20s when I was going to concerts like Metallica, AC/DC, Judas Priest, and KISS!

19. adaher

adaher Member

So if most people have to wear earplugs at a metal concert, what should that logically tell sound engineers in the metal world?

20. sccaldwell

sccaldwell Guitarist Wannabe

QFT, like Zod said.