This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Plugs... Yes or No?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by wolf2112, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Did you wear earplugs at PP???

1. Absolutely

66 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. No Way / Oops I Forgot

18 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. Magius

Magius .................

Etymotics

2. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

I think you're answered your own question. However, will anybody listen? Or are they deaf as well? :lol:

3. xman

xman New Metal Member

A must when your ears start hurting !

4. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

No. Progpower was simply nothing compared to 3 / Porcupine tree when I saw them at bogats in cincinnati. (I didn't think to buy them ahead of time either) 3 / Porcupine was my first real show at a "small venue" like bogarts and I didn't know what to expect. Granted after 3 / Porcupine tree I began watching them towards the back where the bar was (also because I'm 5`9 .. hard to watch a show when almost ever guy is taller than you) I wasn't in the pit but I was relatively near it (I was the dude standing up and air drumming to pagan's mind the entire set...literally) People around me didn't seem to have plugs in either as far as I could tell. The only problem I really had was that my voice went from like a 0-7 (from good to worse) cause I was talking much louder than I usually do but that was no problem after a day of rest or so. Will I wear plugs at the next prog power I go to? As a "just-in-case" thing perhaps. Most likely I will just get better (for listening) seating.

5. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Spend the $12... it's well worth it for the health of your hearing, the quality of sound, and so that you don't look like someone with toilet paper in his ears. :loco:

Zod

6. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

Yep, I want to be able to hear my kids talk to me when I'm older! :)

~Brian~

7. wolf2112

wolf2112 Living in a Dreamscape

Strangely enough, even though I had them in, I didn't even need them when I saw Rush in 2002. Best live mix I've ever heard!

8. ratanda

ratanda Member

Cool, I'm going to try out these Etymotics. Where can you buy them? Normally I buy a giant pack of Walgreen/CVS brand foam ear plugs.

Every now and then there will be the concert where earplugs are NOT needed. Where you can hear everything pretty clearly and not be deafened (I would normally notice this at ProgPower shows in the past actually), and that's really really nice, but typically, earplugs are a must.

9. shreddy

shreddy Member

See my post above with the Amazon links, thats your cheapest price you can get those for. I used to buy them at the local Violin shops but had to drive there and pay tax. Got a pair from Amazon for $8 added some other items to my list so I could get the free shipping and there is no tax.

Rick Pierpont, Entymotics makes them for smaller ear canals as well they're called Baby Blues.
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

For those of you that are musicians and want a serious pair of Etymotics you can go get some custom formed ones to your ears, they run about $150-200
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

10. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

There's two colors on sale at Amazon
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-White/dp/B0015WNZBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253287714&sr=1-2"]White with Red Stem[/ame] - $7.52
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Purple/dp/B0015WNZB8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253287714&sr=1-6"]White with Purple Stem[/ame] - $7.67
    As usual, free shipping if you spend $25 or have Prime.

I usually grabbed them directly through Etymotic but they're $12 each and you have to pay for shipping.
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

11. Kimavir

Kimavir Metal Hippy

ProgPower is actually really quiet as far as most shows I've been too. I wear plugs for most shows, but never feel the need at PP since the volume is tastefully low.

12. SharkBlack

SharkBlack Member

Turn it up!:kickass:

13. Pabla

Pabla The Devil Wears Maiden

Really appreciate your input. Yes, I did use the cheapy foam ones before and everything sounded muffled. I will defo get a pair of good ones to test out.

BTW, which brand would be the "rolls royce" of ear plugs for max music enjoyment?

14. madFive

madFive Amateur Doomsayer

I usually always wear those little light-blue-green foamy disposable ones that you get in drug stores. 18-20bd reduction, and they're the most comfortable thing to my ears that I've tried (all the nicer diaphram ones I've tried chafe my ears, and I can't wear them for very long).

I almost always wear plugs to metal shows; the majority of the shows I go to, you have to wear them, or it's just outright painfull. But this year PP didn't seem too loud at all: friday, I brought my plugs and didn't even bother using them; saturday I forgot them, and there were only a few moments where I regretted this (squeaky notes from Pagan's Mind singer). My ears were ringing a little the next day, though; so I probably will go back to wearing them regaurdless from now on.

15. AirGuitarLoonhouse

AirGuitarLoonhouse Professional Headbanger

Started a few years ago. The good ones actually make it everthing sound better, like going from regular TV to HD. Also, I want to be able to hear my kids. Especially in about 10 years when they start trying to sneak in the house after being out late! :)

I highly recommend the Etymotic ones. I've been in their office and I've done some work with them. Top notch research and team they have!

16. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Always.

I usually just pick up a box of the barrel-shaped foam ones at CVS and then give the extras to friends. The conical-shaped ones tend to slide or worm their way out of my ears, hence I get the the barrel-shaped plugs...and the Etymotics plugs have me a bit leery since they also seem to be somewhat conical-shaped.

During shows, I do sometimes pull them out if a band plays a favorite song...plus I always try to 'test' and see what the unblocked audio sounds like.

(As a sidenote, Center Stage sells pairs of earplugs for $1.)

No kidding! I had mine out during the announcement video and halfway through I thought "Well, shit, this is really fucking loud....oh, well, too late!" :headbang: