This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PoS - Road Salt 2 song previews

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by BlindPanzer, Aug 25, 2011.

1. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

Definitely an improvement on Road Shit I, but still miles away from the greatness they achieved early in their career. I would say that they salvaged their career from any lingering Queensryche comparisons, but the verdict still could go either way.

2. zedowns

zedowns Member

I seriously think if the last two albums had normal production and didn't intentionally sound like shit, more of you guys would like it. The song writing on here is still awesome and tracks like "Healing Now" and "The Physics of Gridlock" are as strong as anything they've done.

3. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

????

When on earth have Pain of Salvation ever been compared to Queensryche? Seriously wtf

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

He's probably suggesting that PoS has been in steady decline like Queensryche, which I disagree with. Personally, I have yet to be disappointed with a PoS CD, and they still prove that they are still one of the most progressive bands out there.

5. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

*sigh*

Queensryche - A band who used to be phenomenal and started going downhill many years ago with some REAL AWFUL RELEASES.

Pain Of Salvation - A band who used to be phenomenal and started going downhill a few years ago with some REAL AWFUL RELEASES.

6. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

A few years ago. Yeah, right. Queensryche've been steadily sucking since 1994.

Also, the first four POS discs RAPE the first four Ryche discs.

7. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

You are right... I'm going to edit my post now. :lol:

And the first four POS discs destroy any Ryche discs with the exception of Operation Mindcrime. :)

8. arnavut

arnavut Member

Murat,

Looking at everything they have done, I do like POS more than Queensryche as Queensryche just sucked after Operation Mindcrime.....Remedy Lane and Perfect Element Part 1 are better than anything Queensryche has done except Operation Mindcrime.

None of POS albums can even touch Operation Mindcrime.

9. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

New POS is amazing. Very close in style to RS1 (of course), but a little bit more accessible I would say. I completely love this disc (as I did with RS1).
    c.

10. Justin G

Justin G Member

Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element I are two of my favorite albums, but I would take any of Queensryche's first four albums over the Pain of Salvation's entire catalog combined.

11. sh0kr0k

sh0kr0k Active Member

This. Maybe I'm biased though because I still loved Queensrÿche up through Tribe where a lot of people gave up on them before or at Promised Land.

Anyway, the Queensrÿche comparisons in this thread started because I was trying to make a joke. Both bands, like AngraRULES said, have stellar releases in their past but aren't capturing their old fans with the new releases. (Nice way of saying "they used to rule, now they put out only shit" since opinions aren't facts) The joke was that PoS turned me from a rabid fan to someone who can barely listen to a single track "in less time than Queensrÿche" did it to me. The following poster decided to read it as a some other kind of comparison more related to the music. After that, people just didn't read back far enough to see where it started. Guess my posts are tl;dr ..?

Road Salt 2 is growing on me, but it still has a way to go. At least I can give it more chances than normal because it comes from people who's artistic expression I've sometimes found brilliant. They have enough "cred" with me, so I'm more willing to open up and see where they're going with new stuff. (Wish people would still feel that way about a new Queensrÿche disc too :-[) Sometimes it just doesn't work, sometimes it does. I'm really trying with Road Salt 2. Maybe it'll finally click. Remedy Lane didn't click until I saw them live.

12. MartinW

MartinW Member

Road Salt Two has generally been well received, at least on the Internet, which no recent Queensryche album has been.

13. sh0kr0k

sh0kr0k Active Member

:lol: :lol: "the Internet"

14. zedowns

zedowns Member

yup. I see tons of praise for both Road Salt albums everywhere BUT this forum.

15. MartinW

MartinW Member

16. Akumu

Akumu Look at the tree.

I really don't get it - what is it about the sound of these two albums that's so apparently revolting? I feel like if any other band released them like, as their first albums, there'd be threads opened going, "Wow, this is great '70s-inspired rock - check these guys out!!!!" If blues/stoner rock isn't your thing in general then there's no helping that, but...

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

One thing Queensryche and PoS have in common is that both bands weren't satisfied to stand pat and just stay with the sound that made them popular. That's always going to cause a loss of fans. Fans are a conservative bunch, who like a band because of something they do, and when they don't do it anymore, they feel betrayed.

I guess I'm unusual in that I take each album as they come and I don't automatically think a change of direction is evil. With PoS, since Remedy Lane, I've learned to expect the unexpected from them,and they have yet to disappoint me. I've actually liked most of what they've done in that time period (with Remedy Lane probably taking me the longest to warm up to.)

As for Queensryche, the problem came once DeGarmo left and the band seemed to lose their mojo. They have done some solid stuff here and there, but nothing particularly outstanding.

As I said, it isn't what some fans wanted out of PoS. I'm fine with it, particularly since I like bands like Wolfmother, but I can see how it can frustrate someone who was a fan of Entropia or Perfect Element, Pt. 1.

18. zedowns

zedowns Member

I feel the same way. At the very least people should recognize the drumming on this album is incredible. The dude is a MONSTER.

19. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

Yeah they can. I gladly rate Perfect Element over Midcrime. I don't even rate Mindcrime as the Ryches best album, much prefer Rage for Order and Promised Land

20. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

Pretty sure PoS has never done an album a bad as Q2K or Dedicated to Chaos. Not a big fan of Scarsick or Road Salt 1, but I wouldn't call them 'real awful'.