This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Post-Punk/Gothic Rock/New Wave etc

Discussion in 'Non-Metal' started by CiG, Aug 3, 2018.

1. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

So I was listening to some Bauhaus and I came across a band Peter Murphey started in the 80's that seem to only have released one album:

It got me thinking about all the good stuff in a similar vein that exists out there. So this thread is for sharing new and old music that falls into this umbrella of genres.

Also:

#1 CiG, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Sedition and Pockets likes this.
  2. theinnsmouthlook

theinnsmouthlook up in space

you and i have spoken at length about this but in case anyone else cares i'll just post some stuff whether we've chatted about them or not

i'll always sing modern g beat's praises as it's the closest and most authentic to goth's roots imo, actual punks playing post punk/goth/deathrock and not that cheesy commercial ebm/cruxshadows darkwave garbage. the closer to punk/post punk the better

http://souciant.com/2012/10/what-is-g-beat/

bands like pawns, cemetery, spectres, ward no 6, etc, are all modern bands continuing an authentic goth/post punk/deathrock sound, unmarred by that sort of mallgoth sex cult/london after midnight brand of keyboard driven cheese that was so popular in the early 2000's. not sure how to embed or anything on this forum so i'll just lable a few links

spectres - strange weather from utopia lp (post punk/BC)

cemetery - demo (deathrock/goth rock/g beat/dark punk/chicago) *THIS DEMO IS SO GOOD. too bad they lost a lot of the punk influince after this demo and opted for a more contemporary goth rock sound

anasazi - s/t ep (anarcho punk/goth rock/NYC)

ward no. 6 - s/t cs (goth rock/post punk/indianapolis) *all of these are good but this release is fuckin killer
    https://wardnumbersix.bandcamp.com/

the wraith - comatic romance from shadow flag ep (dark punk/true gbeat/goth rock/LA) *davey bales from lost tribe's new band, generally a continuation of that sound, but slightly less punky and more gothy. this RIPS

lost tribe - disease from solace lp (anarcho punk/deathrock/dark punk/true gbeat/richmond) *get into this fucking band right now

cinema strange - en hiver from s/t lp (deathrock/true darkwave/post punk/LA) *super theatrical deathrock band from the aformentioned cringeworthy early 00's, but these guys existed apart from that movement. very much influinced by virgin prunes and sex gang children, top tier shit. gone now, a few of them are in a project called the deadfly ensemble that's pretty much a continuation of cinema strange but even more artsy fartsy

youth cult - bildungselite daily from s/t cs (emoviolence/post punk/dark punk/berlin)

infidel - orgy ep (dark punk/true g beat/goth punk/BC) *get into these guys if you're into tsol

altar de fey - demons from echoes in the corridor lp (goth rock/deathrock/san fran) *killer. these dudes were around when deathrock was still relatively new in the 80's in san fran, they never really got their break and ended but disbanding, but put out this killer work in 2016 after reforming. a must listen

maudlin - keeping still from s/t cs (dark punk/post punk/true goth rock/ATL) *they go by elysian, now. they should never have changed that name. what a great fuckin name. these dudes rip, just like everyone else i've posted. very lofi and old school

metro cult - new space from new space/ghost 7" (post punk/goth rock/dark punk/copenhagen)

also check out(from my library so it's in semi-alphabetical order, haha) : alaric, atriarch, arctic flowers,blank spell, chants of maldoror, chlorine, circle of ouroborus' deathrockier stuff a la breathing slowly, creative adult, crystal stilts, cult of youth, decorum, draa, drab majesty, manicure, the hearse, haldol, liar in wait, the holy kiss,human tetris, kiss the anus of a black cat, mourn, population, rope sect, savage blind god, words, zotz

#2 theinnsmouthlook, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    CiG likes this.
  3. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Headless Chickens, an NZ band with a varied but great discography:

I dig Anti-Nowhere League's album The Perfect Crime, the one time they went new wave/post-punk. This song rules:

Hugo Race's band after he left The Bad Seeds:

This is a favourite too:

theinnsmouthlook likes this.
  4. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

Finally got around to checking out all these links. A few I already knew, but I liked every single one. The one I liked the most though was Spectres, definitely have to check these guys out a little more. I replayed it a few times before I even moved on to the rest lmao. Great stuff!

Well that was unexpected and very cool. Cheers, I had no idea they branched out from their snotty street punk stuff, which I do love too. Definitely gotta check that album out man.

#4 CiG, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  5. Serjeant Grumbles

Since we're doing the year '92 for the GNMD, it reminds me of Love Like Blood, who released An Irony of Fate that year. I haven't checked out any of their other stuff, apparently later on they took a turn for the worse when they drifted more towards metal, but they are very much inspired by Fields of the Nephilim, without being derivative.

6. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

7. Sophii

Sophii Artemis (Umbra Aeon)

Hoping slowcore is accepted in this thread. When getting into Gnostic-Christian faith, I found a thread saying these guys were one of the few gnostic groups known.

8. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers!

9. wojtek_b

wojtek_b New Metal Member

Hi
    I'm not quite sure if that is appropriate to post that link here, but here is a link to a piece of old school punk rock music :):

https://thewarsawgenerators.bandcamp.com/releases

Happy listening and happy New Year!

Wojtek

Ps
    The songs are free (you might download it if you want)

10. elliemadeland

elliemadeland New Metal Member

Ellie Madeland on YouTube:

11. cmdr pepper

cmdr pepper New Metal Member

New album by these guys just came out today.

12. Iwan Ruby

Iwan Ruby New Metal Member

this is one of the best post punk band from my city..