This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Post Whoring - random stuff goes here

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. in_absentia

in_absentia Aurora Borealis

Lol Sami, i'd be happy to drive any car so long as it safely gets me from A to B :p

2. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

Haha fair enough, do you have a car at the moment??
    I think when we get new cars, a race is in store...
    Skyline VS Corolla
    Haha, joking ;)

Speaking of that, I'm off for a drive, see if my shitty engine gets my car up the hill :lol:

3. in_absentia

in_absentia Aurora Borealis

Hey! Don't go bagging out the Corolla i want! It's a luxury car!

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Did you know there have been cases like this where the family have sued the homeowner for not having a safe house?

s

5. Rick

Rick Senior User

Skylines have a straight six (l6), which yeah, virtually means the motor is straight and has the 6 valves coming off one side, unlike a v6 which has 3 on each. Petrol isn't that bad, certainly not in the newer models and is little compared to a commodore (post VL, which had a skyline engine in it). it all depends on how you drive it. If you don't get a manual, it's not even worth buying. And yeah, about the police, if you lived here you'd be stopped a lot, and probably for defecting most of the time, they always seem to find something.

6. Wenda

Wenda Lady LORD

I don't know if you could sue if YOU broke the glass and cut yourself, because it was something you did, not something the homeowner did. Wasn't one of those cases like... someone sued because they fell over a trike left at the top of the stairs while they were burgling a house? Or something like that?

I know I'm paranoid about the little fucktard kids next door who like to climb on the roof of my garage when they think we're not looking, because it's a helluva old structure which I can't afford to upgrade right now. It's sound enough but it's not meant to support the weight of a person, so they could quite easily fall through it - then call it my fault because my house 'wasn't safe'.

7. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

Try throwing a little metho on a white tail bite and see how it goes does fuck all , obviously you two doctors seem to know everything about white tails based on urban myth.
    Some people who have been bitten by white tails have had terrible skin reactions to the bite in which they have had to have plastic surgery , I have a couple of friends who have been bitten , one on the face and they had a terrible reaction , one on the arm, his arm on the bite was like a rotting piece of flesh . enough said.

8. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Careful with the non-turbo engine cars with bolting a turbo on it. Non turbo engines weren't designed for the extra pressure a turbo can put on engine parts.

This includes a lot of items you might not think about. Rings, pistons, conrods, crankcases (bearing journals), low compression gaskets, different spark plugs, ignition curves (new Fuel injection management system), transmission and running gear to deal with the extra horsepower and torque.

A faster car needs better brakes. The Skyline might have good ones in non turbo form, but they will fade, rotors will warp and you might not be able to stop one day.

I can go on, but you will learn about it all when you go through with the mods.

If you were to ask me, which you're not. I'd reccomend you sell the car when you get your full license and get a GTS-t and mod that up with your personal touches instead.

The other thing which I have seen many people have on car forums is that thaey go and do what you plan, and then find they can't sell their car. Because there isn't much of a demand for non-turbo Skylines. Your market is very small... General rev heads won't buy a non turbo Skyline. L and P platers will. You've just closed off a lot of the second hand car market and will have a harder time selling it.

Why would you sell it? Because you will find that it is after all a Grey Import car. You will get frustrated when an obscure part can't be found and you wait 18 months for one to be shipped from Japan.

I'm an ex-mechanic who still associates himself with motorsports, other mechanics and I keep in touch on a professional level with the industry as a whole. I hope my opinion matters and you don't make a regretful mistake.

Good luck
    pips

9. Rick

Rick Senior User

That's a good point. It takes a lot of effort to mod a standard VL to Turbo, and the engine and car aren't designed for it. Unlike the actual turbo models, which are.

10. Rick

Rick Senior User

Underlying aggressively defensive tone aside, it's worked for several people i know.

11. Pethical

Pethical Tom

was a good show, made me even more upset about missing them next year though :(

12. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

Aren't most Skylines designed for turbo's though? Genuine question, its just ive seen nearly everyone for sale with a turbo. Also, another question: Is it possible if I buy one witha turbo, that it could be taken off, no worries? Or is that getting too complicated? Then replace, or just put the part back on when I can i.e off P-plates.

OK, kind of confused. So are you saying to buy a non-turbo then sell it (which would be hard) then buy a better model with a turbo?
    I'm getting so doubtful, but I'm happy with all the input lol. Don't want to find this out $10K down the track.

13. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

No, The RB25DE and RB25DET are quite different engines.

The T model is the turbo obviously, the DET is designed to have a turbo.. because its a turbo engine, it has a better compression ratio, more oil squirters inside the actual block to lubricate the engine and keep it cooler etc. The head may even be designed differently. Also the ECU is completely different in both engines, to take into the account having a turbo or not.

You can't just take the Non-Turbo model and stick a turbo on it, Its not that easy. Technically you can do it.. But I'd estimate it'd probably cost you about 5-6k to do it properly.. thats including labour costs though so I dunno if your brother could do it which might save you a bit?

Sure you could probably do it on the cheap for 2k, but you'd be using second hand turbos etc etc.. and thats just asking for trouble IMO.

Also taking the turbo off a turbo one is not easy, you need to replace a whole lot of stuff with bits that aren't on your engine. and the ECU is looking for a turbo that doesn't exist etc.

14. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

:(!!!
    This is getting so complicated. For ease of explanation etc I have found an example of the type I want, which actually has a turbo: Skyline off Ebay
    So, what kind of engine does that have? Would taking the turbo off, complete stuff it?

15. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Yep, It isn't a simple thing at all :)

Thats got a RB25DET, Taking the turbo off.. yes would stuff it. I mean it would probably still run, but you would need to retune everything and replace a whole bunch of stuff that is missing that a Non-Turbo engine has which a Turbo engine doesn't.
    Most notably the exhaust is different, lots of intake stuff.

16. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

See this is why I hate cars... I just want something to get me from A to B

17. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

true that one todd
    i go pretty much everywhere on shanks pony, or use the train

18. Rick

Rick Senior User

Just wait until you are off your p's to get a decent car. That's what I'm doing.

19. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Spiders eat by digesting their food before they swallow it. Spider bites necrotise the flesh and that's why these reactions happen.

Sami, buy a cheap second hand car that's going to last you until you're allowed to drive a turbo, and then buy one.

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

So you want more power? Faster Times? Well, Turbos and Superchargers are indeed the way to go.

Turbochargers can fit on any engine type, given the use of the appropriate exhaust manifold and a decompressed engine block. However, the turbo must be sized properly according to the application. Small turbos mean faster boost responses, but limited amounts of boost. Larger sized turbos take up more time to build up boost, but they give a lot of boost. Turbochargers are propelled by the exhaust gas velocity of the vehicle and are directly proportional to the temperature of the engine. Turbos feed on fresh oil constantly, so oils with high ratings must be used in the vehicle.

Superchargers use the same concept as turbochargers in the effect that it also compresses air. Superchargers can also be made to fit on any type of engine, and only comes in two types of kits. Both are fanbelt pulley driven units. When it comes to horsepower and torque, superchargers can gain as much as 40 percent in horsepower and 50 percent in torque with the use of just a base kit.

The advantages of turbocharging is the ability to increase horse power using boost controllers and changing turbo units. Turbos give you more power using a pulling effect type of forced induction. However, on the down side, turbos tend to produce more heat as the boost increases, therefore intake temperatures increase causing dense air that cannot be compressed. This usually happens after 5 psi.

To solve this problem, an intercooler may be added to help prevent detonation. The other problem with turbo charging is that it requires more maintenance because the amount of heat associated with the boost, this means the turbo must cool down after aggressive driving for about 2 to 3 minutes at idle. Installing a turbo timer is the best bet. Turbos must also be allowed to heat up before aggressive driving.

Unlike the turbochargers that require cool down time, or warm up time, the supercharger is ready to go when you are. At 2000rpm, boost is already available with a supercharger. When it comes to fuel efficiency, superchargers actually kind of help to improve your MPG. The reason for better mileage is the fact that you do not have to drive the engine at full throttle due to available boost. However, anytime that you drive aggressively, fuel efficiency will suffer.

Due to the fact that the supercharger is pulley driven, there is some strain put on the engine. Also, where as with the use of an intercooler with the turbo setup and you have the use of practically unlimited boost, you are limited to what the supercharger has to offer.

Installation of a supercharger usually takes about 6 to 8 hours… if you are mechanically inclined and there is no cutting or welding required. Superchargers also tend to last longer than turbo chargers because they do not require much maintenance and have a self contained oil supply.

In a nutshell, Turbochargers are efficient and flexible, allowing a wide range of swaps and upgrades to achieve the desired power output. They are not noisy and do not rob any power from the engine, however they do require a little more attention than superchargers. This setup is ideal for front wheel drive and lightweight cars, due to the lack of traction when you launch from a dead stop; the lag in boost is actually an advantage. You don't want your boost to kick in before you get traction.

Superchargers give you instant boost on demand and require very low maintenance. With boost available at 2000rpm, you don't have to watch the other guy start jump pass you for long. This setup is ideal if you have a rear wheel drive car with lots of horse power to spare, then the petty power it steals from the engine is well compensated for.