This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Post Whoring - random stuff goes here

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

They did that with the twin towers, there was something in his writing about 'two brothers falling', that same prediction was used previously for the Kennedy slayings.

s

2. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Are you two calling Bruce Dickinson a liar? ARE YOU?!

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

4. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Finally thought of a term for a musical phenomena that has been floating around my brain for a while: Metalhead Cassandra Syndrome AKA Reverse Hipsterism.

Ever found a a cool band randomly (torrent, review site, youtube, et cetera) but you can't find any solid info on them elsewhere online (such as Metal Archives), so no one believes you that they are a real band (like Cassandra in Greek mythology telling prophesies but no one believing her).
    Also called Reverse Hipsterism because you want everyone to know about the band and refuse to keep it to yourself.

5. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I don't believe that's ever happened ;)

6. Shadow298

happens with me and a band called The Chant.
    Can never find any info on them and no songs posted to youtube.
    Know that they have 2 albums out but nothing beyond their album Ghostlines that I randomly downloaded years ago.

7. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Heh. This guy suffered it: http://forum.nzmetal.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=646&p=8825

Some of the mp3s in my digital collection have far outlived the online information about the bands in question. In some cases I downloaded directly from band members, and there was never any information online. It's a bit better than having information and no songs, though!

8. Shadow298

similar to that, yes.

Another version of Metalhead Cassandra Syndrome is when you find a band that you think is awesome and epic and all that but when you tell people about them, they either look up a really terrible song or get the names mixed up with another similarly named but awful band (see Katatonia and Catatonia). So no one believes you when you say how good the band you heard is.

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

errr.

Maybe I have the wrong band...

They have four albums- looks like all of it is on last.fm - album names are:

Ghostlines - 2008
    01. Green Waters
    02. Footmen
    03. Ghostlines
    04. Ode To The End (Thank You)
    05. Cold Comfort
    06. Wayfarer / Ghostlines Reprisal
    07. Crown
    08. The Breakdown
    09. Secret Societies
    10. The Only Friend

This is the world we know - 2010
    A Healing Place - 2012
    Breakdown - not sure, might be an EP

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHoVX8QSKk"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHoVX8QSKk[/ame]

http://www.thechant.net

www.myspace.com/thechantofficial

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Chant/+charts?rangetype=6month&subtype=tracks

The Chant - This Is The World We Know
    14 April 2010

01. New Reality
    02. Reflected
    03. November 1987
    04. The Black Ascension
    05. Will You Follow
    06. Safe World
    07. Common Price
    08. Armored Man
    09. Relativity

Suomi metal
    Recorded: Drop Hammer Studios/Sound Track Studios/South Curve Studios, Finland 2009
    Label: Full Metal Music
    Total Running Time: 48:19

You can really hear The Chant live in a Nordic country where it freezes most of the time. Shimmers of dark winter melancholy and flashes of the calming warmth of a fireplace keep seeping into these songs from all sides. This is music made to move you.

Using glossy and straightforward rock music with some metal hiccups, The Chant easily finds the gateway into suomi metal. Catchy rock hooks are woven together by soothing guitar lines and compelling piano parts. In that event, This Is The World We Know - an album dealing with mental isolation btw - fosters a special kind of atmosphere that is tranquil as well as dolorous.

The real icing on the cake though, is the ever soulful voice of Ilpo Paasela; a voice that almost literally pours melancholy. His somber vocals are mostly clean, without ever sounding whiny, at times backed up with some blistering screams. Paasela 's warm and strong vocals couldn't be more fitting for this kind of mellow music, giving the album even more depth and vigor.

The Chant is perhaps still a little too radio rock-driven to come anywhere close to that acclaimed Ghost Brigade-like melancholic mood. Nonetheless This Is The World We Know rolls in as a good-to-great album with a clean and streamlined touch, that will undoubtedly turn a lot of heads, with its gloomy atmosphere warming the cockles of many hearts.

10. Shadow298

thanks for that.

when I went looking after I downloading their album and even a few months back, nothing.
    Google was next to impossible because all it brought up was chant music shite.

11. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

No worries! What I put into google was:

"The Chant" ghostlines

so it looked for the phrase rather than the words. I also like to use terms like site:.au to limit searches to Australian domains. You've just reached the end of all the google trickery I know...

The Chant reminds me quite a bit of a NZ band I used to listen to in the 90s called The Dead Flowers. Saw them at Brisbane once playing in a park off the back of a semi.

12. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

The winning song on the Hottest 100 is a bit of a shocker isn't it? I was thinking it was either that I'm too old or kids really are shit these days, but then I remembered back at how many dumb novelty tracks have hit it big on the Hottest 100 since way back when I was a kid, none of which anyone would even recognise today if you played it to them.

Be nice if the song was one the commercial stations didn't also have on high rotation though.

13. Shadow298

what song won this year?

14. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Thrift Shop, some joke rap nonsense.

15. Shadow298

ah, shouldn't be surprised really but never heard it on the radio (only listen in the mornings) and first I heard of it was two days ago in a reference on MEMEbase and then seeing part of the clip at Maccas whilst trying to have a snack.

the high ratio of shite gimmick songs in the Hottest 100 usually comes from people joke voting or non JJJ listeners voting for it for the LOL's and shit like that.

16. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Yeah I think the problem is the Hottest 100 is an Australia Day institution, and a lot of people will vote even though they never listen to the station otherwise. Also, let's face it, just because you listen to a youth radio station doesn't mean you're not a sheep who doesn't think about your music, or that you have any taste.

Mind you, I haven't listened to Triple J regularly for years, not since they started adopting a more commercial model. The music suffered and I really can't stand hours of DJs bathering on about vapid nonsense then taking calls about it, and occasionally throwing on a song between ad breaks. Even if the ads are in-house.

17. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

How exactly is the "Hot 100" done these days? What's to stop Tim and the guys hijacking the voting for example?

18. Shadow298

All online now but not sure of the fine details.
    Some form of authentication but nothing is ever tamper proof.

19. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Maybe an idea for next year :p

I was watching the news last night and they where showing a tracker for the cyclone that's caused all the weather chaos at the moment, I turned to Jess and said "they're playing a Dungeon song"

It took me about 15 seconds to realise it was Queen of the Reich.... still cool however

20. Shadow298

Wasted opportunity not playing Stormchaser. :bah: