This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

post your honest reviews of the DVD, recent gigs and nick drake album here

Discussion in 'Anathema' started by pagan2002, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Bambi

Bambi Villain of the piece

you sly get, whats the point us going to the time and expense to pirate this stuff beautifully when you just throw it up on the web for nothing?? Some of us have to live as well ye know :erk:

you should be ashamed of yourself young man :cry:

2. Bambi

Thats more like it, Im sure those other people *cough* worked hard on that

3. JanusPSY

JanusPSY New Metal Member

Hi!

I am a big fan of Anathema and as well of Danny´s guitar work and songwriting, I think he is a great musician. That is not to sound slimy, but to make clear my critic is supposed to be constructive :).

The Nick Drake Tribute seems a bit pointless to me, due to my personal view...I mean it is played nicely but it is too close to the original. I never saw a point of doing an acoustic tribute to a songwriter who mainly did acoustic songs...Where is the own stamp the own character?

You know I would have liked to hear Danny Cavanagh do Danny Cavanagh versions of Nick Drake songs, instead of Danny Cananagh doing Nick Drake versions of Nick Drake songs, if someone sees what I mean...

I see the tribute is more a personal Danny Cavanagh thing that means something to him and for that it is very good. But musically it is not too interesting. Well, it is good music, but the originals are just better and the covers do not have an own character to stand out.

I do not want to say the tribute on it´s own is bad. It is far from being that. As said I just consider it a bit pointless. It is the same with many tributes: Why should industrial rock bands cover NIN, an industrial rock band themselves? Why do gothic metal bands cover Type O Negative? The originals can hardly be improved most times, at least not if you stick to the original style. When a Metal band covers a pop song or maybe an Indie band makes an acoustic version of a harsh rock song from a Metal band, that is what has much more appeal in my eyes.Cause it gives the songs a whole new twist and that is what makes a good cover version: Not replaying a song of another band in their style but doing a new version in your style.

Still I like the tribute but that was just what made it a bit sour ;-).

Janus

4. DragonLady1

DragonLady1 Firesoul

hehe so u will see us in the first row there and me taking pics :loco:
    cant wait to see it too :Spin:

5. pagan2002

pagan2002 danny cavanagh

well ok but what about the fact that there are full band or full string versions of cello song, one of these things first, river man, fly and northern sky

i see your point, but to suggest that i have copied the originals here (that contain drums, bass, jazz piano, string arrangements among other things)
    when i have just recorded them solo guitar and vocal isn´t quite right..

maybe i should have just recorded them for myself alone, but i felt that a few people would like it, and would be asking to hear it.

also its a nice thing for duncan to release.

and also my heart and soul went into those performances 100%. different, or similar or not.

i think my versions are nice.. and even though they are not my songs, it feels to me like its my heart you are listening to.

and as for ´whats the point of doing acoustic versions of nick drake songs...´ i wont respond to that.. i mean how else do you play his stuff?

anyway whatever :loco:

6. Don Corleone

well danny said it: there are only 1000 copies of it. think of it as a new year gift (err yeah which you have to pay for) from a fave musician of yours.

i havent heard it yet, it might not be TOO original but im glad danny let it be released rather than kept it for himself.

7. Bambi

funny that,I think it could be done non acoustically but not as conventional covers. A while back i was saying to a certain head of a record label that i reckoned nick drakes stuff would really suit being radically reworked in the manner of yer man who took beach boys material and created a cd of ambient stuff based around it. Sounds nothing like the originals but its excellent in its own right.

8. EtanH

EtanH New Metal Member

here's my review for the were you there dvd:

Setlist: Great opener with Balance; sounds great! i like the new songs better than the old ones, so im pleased to see much from judgement, AFDTE and AND. too bad there couldnt be any eternity or alternative 4 tracks on it, but I know the reason.
    highlights for me are a natural disaster, beautifully sung by lee, balance, release (though played a bit too fast i thought...) temporary peace, forgotten hopes.

Sound quality: its pretty good i must say. only the drumsound is not 100% to my satisfaction...

i like the extras too: really nice to finally see the Pressure video.

overall rating: VERY good.

btw, any news on finding a new record label, danny?

Etan

9. breaklose

breaklose Spoof Member

no im skinnt. i havent seen it yet.

10. Bastet

Bastet ironing...

11. Allan

Allan New Metal Member

Should've traded that birthday kebab for a copy

12. Loona

Loona *~holdacska~*

it was really a great opening song imo. right before the show we were discussing with Peter (a friend I went there with) what will the opener be. he said Harmonium, I agreed, but I also had a thought of Balance, and looking back it was just perfect (eh, until the heavier part came, and the cordon was close to fall down and than I wouldn't be writing here :D )

13. breaklose

breaklose Spoof Member

no way, a birthday kebab is worth 1.000 dvds.

14. Abcidia

Abcidia Finest taste

you could flog it

15. pagan2002

pagan2002 danny cavanagh

i agree oisin but i just couldnt be arsed. never had much studio time either

16. Cerulean

Cerulean Not very cerulean eh

Danny, will you bring some Nick Drake tribute copies to the gigs next weekend? Cos I prefer buying directly from someone instead of mail.

17. Valedictory

Valedictory Discouraged one

Well i dont have the DVD yet, cuz its quite of expensive since its imported over here, we can get it only for some 45 USD which is a lot right now for my budget :cry:
    The CD was gorgeous as expected, so ill just have to wait for some money to fall into my pocket and get the DVD.

18. Oceana

Oceana el cielo

these are the photos i posted in the accoutic barcelona gig topic from last week... in case you havent seen them... boost your ego:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Maqus

Maqus pocket frictionary

ahh, the aquatic barcelona gig, how nishe

20. discouraged1

discouraged1 disco my arse!

i still haven't got my copy of nick drake tribute.
    did send the money in august i think.

strangelight?
    anyone?