This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Processing real drums as in Superior Drummer?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by osum, Jan 5, 2012.

1. osum

osum Misanthrope

Salut there,

one thing I'm thinking about for a while is:

When creating Superior Drummer 2 presets I mostly use multiple EQs in series on e.g. the kick channel. Same thing I saw on almost every preset I ever seen. Most kick, snare, etc channel chains in Superior Drummer look like this:
    (as an example)
    EQ - EQ - EQ - Comp - EQ

Something like doing the most changes on the first eq, then on the second some other little boosts, etc.

Obviously this works fine, at least for me.

My question is – as I never have done real drums yet – are you usually doing the same with real drums? Or is there normally just one EQ doing everything? I know, there are no real rules, everything which works is ok but I'm interested in some basic ways to do that.

I read Ermz' great Drum-Mixing-Guide, but that kind of how-to-do wasn't really mentioned.

Another thing: what kind of EQ do you guys mostly use on drums? General-parametric-DAW-builtin-EQ or SSL Channel stuff or or? :)

:Smokin:

2. xFkx

xFkx gain induction

Depends, you can use fab filter pro-q which has an unlimited number of eq bands, so you can go crazy

personally I'm going for less and less, and a 4 band eq in the ssl channelstrip is enough for me.

3. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

I hink the main reason of using crazy amount of eq within SD, is a lack of respect for real stuff:p But you´re right when tweaking SD i find myself using a lot more eqing than on real drums. Usually two eq´s (=8 band´s) are doing it for me in real world.

4. punkrockacademyfightsong

cut pre comp, boost post comp usually does the trick for me

5. KHE

KHE Member

i use multiple instances of EQs very often, just because not to get distractet by the weird look of the frequency-curve. ("ohh this looks very strange, i already have this big notch at 432Hz, i cannot cut anymore..."

6. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

7. StefHartog

StefHartog New Metal Member

I'm layering kick and snare samples most of the time in rock and metal. I'll have a track for each sample where I EQ only a bit (mostly cuts), then send them to a folder where they to come together in a console emu first (VCC or Satson), then I compress that, then I EQ the result again, then I clip the track (not always) and sometimes there's another EQ after that.

So in short: up to 3 EQ's in the chain. But I wouldn't be scared to add another if I think it gets me a better result :)

8. azistenostora

azistenostora Member

I never really understood the need for multiple layers of eq. Can the same thing not be achieved with just 1 eq? I mean the second eq is not going to add anything that the first eq couldn't, right? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like this.

9. Uros

Uros Sonic Incision

It is more or less true, unless you use some analog emulation eqs.