This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Prog nation tour Boston gig role call

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by jrsh92, Apr 29, 2008.

1. scottder

scottder Member

I wasn't impressed with the Orpheum, was very hard to see from the blacony, and the sound was "meh", but I have heard the same said of the Palladium too.

2. In Aeternum

In Aeternum Member

Where were you in the balcony? I was up there too, and I could see fine. Probably would have been harder had the people in front of us continued to stand, though.

3. Morningriser

Morningriser Member

Excellent show! Never heard of 3, but damn were they good. Singers voice wasn't anything special, but he made up for it with his ridiculous guitar playing. VERY impressive. BTBAM was good. I'll leave it at that. I left half way during DT's set. Not that I wasn't impressed. They have a fantastic stage presence. Portnoy was nuts. Anyone notice the drum stick that was thrown at him from the side of the stage which he caught while playing? And maybe I'm unable to discern, but did Petrucci's solos all sound the same for the most part? I'd see them again.

I thought Opeth was great as always. Wasn't as good as I've seen previous times, but still excellent. They were tight as hell. I would have preferred something else over master's apprentices. I feel like they play it every time I see them. The only issue I had was with To Rid the Disease. It was probably the venue, but Fred's finger picking during the song was loud and abrasive.

BTW - 40 dollar t-shirts and 8 fucking dollar bud lights are NOT ok. I'd pay that MAYBE for a Heineken; not a bud.

4. Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold Member

You guys hadn't heard 3 before? Oh man, pick up their newest, Wake Pig, and Paint by Number. All awesome cds.

That show was a lot of fun...despite being surrounded by Dream Theater nerds and some BtBaM worshipers who had no idea how to head bang. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Master's Apprentice!! I've got fucking whiplash from that song. To Rid the Disease was very nice live - glad I got to hear that over the alternative (that I'm reading anyway), In My Time of Need. I wanted something from Still Life - Serenity Painted Death or The Moor namely. It was my third time hearing Baying of the Hounds so I kind of wish they chose something else from Ghost Reveries. I expected Wreath because we speculated before the tour started that we'd hear it - turns out it's a pretty good live song!

Great show...expensive merchandise.....but lots of fun. Can't wait for a headlining tour!

5. soundave

soundave Member

I was really bummed out about the sound, tbh. I agree that it took forever to get the sound even somewhere close to right (which it never was). Per was nearly inaudible for the entire show. Hearing BOTH without Per's part was decidedly weird. Fred was mixed really low, too. I noticed as he was playing some octave solo bits that it was impossible to hear him. And, of course, Mike's vocal's were buried. I heard Mendez fine, of course. Way too much, in fact. I'd say that since I was under the balcony, maybe I was in a bit of a bass trap, but the FOH mixer was really close to me, so wtf? Actually, it was like they set it up and pretty much left it. I didn't see a lot of activity over there, and it seemed like a very lazy mixing job. DT sounded better, but some problems persisted. Vocals were still a tad low (thankfully).

I brouht an Opeth noob with me, and he enjoyed it. He commented that he was pretty sure Per was doing something he couldn't hear, and that Opeth seemed, during the songs, to be very serious.

What I coud hear, I thought was really good. What I liked most was, in the clean singing moments, that Mike took some liberty with his vocal lines and improvised a bit. He's really grown as a singer.

6. jrsh92

jrsh92 Member

Yeah, although this is less of an issue with the venue itself than the people controlling the sound, the vocals were too low, as was the keyboard. I didn't realize the first Wreath solo bit was played on keyboard-- it sounds like a guitar, but I saw Per going crazy and neither Mike nor Fred doing anything solo-looking... although that first solo is quite tame and therefore wouldn't look like the guitarist was freaking out, I'm pretty sure it was being played-- quietly-- on the keyboard... I could have sworn that was a guitar part...
    I liked how they turned up the bass, though. Not the bass frequencies, but the actual instrument. I love hearing what the bass is doing in songs but too often it's recorded, with a lot of care apparently put into it, and promptly turned down to almost inaudible.

7. Morningriser

Morningriser Member

There seemed to be an incredibly noticeable difference between the sound quality of Opeth and DT. So I guess I was wrong to blame the Orpheum. Do bands bring their own sound board techs, or are they hired by the venue?