This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ProgPower USA KICK-OFF Headliner announced!!!!!!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Beholder, Mar 15, 2010.

1. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

Restless and Wild is their BEST album HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!! Listen to Fast As A Shark and it BLOWS AWAY Balls To the Wall

2. Rider of Theli

Rider of Theli The Hellequin

:worship:

there are very few times I pull out some of these smilies... but this is one of those times:

:danceboy:

needless to say, this ACCEPT fanboi is damn happy - Udo or no Udo. :kickass:

3. longshot9

longshot9 Member

Awesome news Shane! Thanks!!!

4. Debbie Schnell

Debbie Schnell Supreme Goddess

We saw them in New Orleans w/ Helix, Keel and :headbang: Lillian Axe. Balls to the wall!!! \m/ \m/

5. evilernie667

evilernie667 New Metal Member

This is fucking AWESOME!

When are the tix going on sale?

6. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

I am going to say something here which some will get and others will certainly take the wrong way.

Glen is a business man. He ain't no dummy!

Trad metal is getting more and more popular, both in the mainstream and underground. This is the perfect time to get a band like ACCEPT. 5 years ago this would have been a head scratcher.

5 years ago, Glen would never have considered bands like Elvenking, Therion, or Tyr.

So Britt, as of today, no, I would doubt that King would ever be considered for PP. While Glen has branched out, it has only been to the genres which have risen in popularity over the past couple of years. As much as I love King D, I doubt he will ever fit that mold.

7. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Remember this is Shane's baby.

8. Metal_Camden

Metal_Camden Member

Balls to the walls!

9. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Correct. I'm just someone for him to bounce ideas off of and bitch/vent at.

10. Thorn23TX

Thorn23TX Marked By The Triangle

Kickass! Never have seen these guys either, but was a big fan back in the day. I hope they play a lot of older stuff from Breakerand Restless & Wild, but I also like the neo-classical stuff on Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart - should be a great show! Thanks, Shane!

11. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

I listened to R&W back when it came out - me and my friends were going apeshit about it. That said, you're correct on the "many are not aware of this" comment, because I've NEVER heard before that it should be the birthplace of thrash metal hahahaha - it's one of the true classic heavy metal albums for sure, but thrash? What did you smoke this morning dude? ;) :Smokin: :lol:

12. James

James Member

That was the one; KEEL opened, then HELIX played, and ACCEPT closed it out. If I remember correctly, none of the band names were actually on the ticket; it was simply billed as "HEAVY METAL THUNDER".

13. Metalmilitia2000

Metalmilitia2000 UM's Resident Asshole

Shane, I think you killed Bryant, he hasn't posted yet. I think he went to submit his post and had a heart attack.... hahahaha

14. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

While I agree that seeing King Diamond at a PP event is unlikely (and unnecessary), I think you're off as far as the reasons go. King Diamond is still going strong on his own. I saw him in 2005. Sure, it wasn't yesterday, but he played one of the largest venues in my city, filled it up pretty good, and played a long set with two encores to a really really enthused audience. So I don't think he's run out of steam yet. Although he certainly isn't on the upswing anymore. I think the main reason he won't be at PP is that it just isn't necessary - he can do fine touring on his own. PP would just be another stop for him, not the launching pad that it was for so many other bands that tour now but couldn't a decade ago.

Therion did play 5 years ago which is one reason I don't think they belong in the same bracket as Tyr and Elvenking, about whom I completely agree with your point. Therion was already a Big Deal to worldwide metal fans starting as far back as Theli or at least Vovin. I remember regarding Lemuria/Sirius B as a "comeback" album, and everything since then has been their "new" period. With Therion I think them not playing PP between 2001 and 2005 was a matter of logistics, not a lack of desire or demand.

15. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

It had thrashiness, but I agree with others who have argued that while it has thrashiness, it isn't thrash. To give credit where its due, Kill 'Em All.

Hell, Virgin Steel's S/T album released in 1981 had some thrashy tunes. But I now can't call it the first thrash album (as I'm pretty sure I once did), because it doesn't focus on thrash.

But we can label Motorhead as an earlier precursor to thrash, and then lump them together with Accept with Bad Brains as bands that had a large assist in influencing the sound of Metallica and Slayer.

16. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

Yeah that's it Accept, Helix and Keel!!!!!

17. The Invisible Guest

I don't think King Diamond is an option for Glenn's Friday or Saturday show. That band doesn't really seem to fit. Who knows though .. maybe the stars will align some day.

As for the Showcase/Kick Off .. KD absolutely would be a fit, and would sell tickets. Getting him for a one off is the biggest problem I think.

Britt

18. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I would place KD more in that traditional/old school metal scene. Yeah, his vocals are different but musically, it's on par. The reason KD will probably never play progpower has more to do with his liability. He's been pretty hurt for years now and would be a HUGE risk. Unless he goes out and tours for a year or so to prove he is in shape, he'll never be brought to Progpower.

That's what I thought as well. Yeah, I wouldn't group them in that category.

Let's be honest here, Thrash pretty much was a culmination of Motorhead and love them or hate them, Venom. Those two are the main ones but also add in Diamond Head, Priest and a whole slew of other NWOBHM. The first true thrash album though like you said, was Metallica's Kill 'Em All.

19. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Let's stay on topic please.

Discussions of King Diamond, the origins of thrash, etc deserve their own thread.

20. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

I think the ACCEPT song FAST AS A SHARK is a forgotten early thrash track. Overall though, ACCEPT of course are not a thrash band. I don't smoke, not even cigarrettes. :saint: