This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

QANTAS and Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Robotman, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Not sure about Jetstar, Tiger, or Virgin but thought this might be of some interest to many of you. :)
    www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/30/3103538.htm

====
    Musicians will now be allowed to carry their instruments on board Qantas flights, after the airline bowed to a social networking campaign.

Instruments were previously consigned to the cargo hold but Qantas has now adopted a policy that allows them to be carried on board.

A campaign on Facebook drew thousands of supporters who were outraged that instruments were at risk of being damaged in the hold on Qantas planes. A Qantas spokesman has confirmed that as a result of customer feedback, instruments not exceeding 81 centimetres in length and 30 centimetres in height will be allowed on board.

2. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Lol, so forget most electric and acoustic guitars, basses, etc.

Violin and http://www.steinberger.com/ players can be happy though.

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

True, it's only for small instruments, there was a story of a valuable violin that got trashed a year or so ago. I'm puzzled as to why the dummy didn't put it above her seat in the storage space.

I hear from US players that they often get the stewardesses to store acoustic guitars in their cabin section without a problem, I imagine they'd also store an electric in a soft bag.

I wouldn't risk taking a guitar on a plane in a soft bag, I've heard of a Gibson that arrived with a cracked neck, the undercarriage loaders just don't care.

s

4. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

If you have Fragile stickers on your cases then most definately the loaders will see how far they can throw the gear, saw it in Australia , saw it in Germany and unfortunately it seems to be what happens to most musicians when they fly which is really sad.

5. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

At least my Ukulele is safe. :)

#5 pipsqeek, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015