This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Questions about Guitars 8-]]

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Gypsy Rose, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose Metal Goddess 8-]]

I got a new guitar for Christmas 2019 and I have yet to start lessons...I am left handed and one of my questions is: Would I have a harder time learning the guitar because I am left-handed?? I wonder if there are any teachers as well that can teach a left-handed person?? I looked up a lesson on youtube once and it looked a bit complicated to me..Just am curious about this...8-]]

2. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

There are guitars designated as right-handed or left-handed, but the left-handed ones are a bit rare so I guess you probably got a right-handed one. Try holding it both ways and see if accurate picking/strumming with your right hand seems much harder. If it's not then you might be ok learning right-handed.

If you really wanna strum with your left hand, then maybe you could re-string it and not care about fret buzz or whatever issues come with that while you're just beginning, and maybe look out for left-handed guitars for sale at the same time. Or depending on the guitar maybe you could get it modified with different parts. Then there's people who just flip a guitar upside down as is and play with the thickest string at the bottom, but that'd make tutorials really confusing.

3. Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose Metal Goddess 8-]]

Hi--Thanks for the advice--I got my guitar from Amazon and they claim is is a left-handed guitar...I have held the guitar and tried to strum it a little bit and I have to turn the guitar left handed to make it feel right..Never thought to restring, I think I would have to take it to a professional to do that for me...MM, I don't think I can handle any confusing tutorials...8-]]

4. loves guitars

loves guitars Member

most music stores will restring a guitar at a reasonable price for you. at the same time maybe you could check out lessons too. The music store I go to, have guitar techs available and they're really helpful.. Also if you check out some of the online music places, they will have a lot of choices for left handed guitars and most of the different brands ...