This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Questions for LT

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Yes.

(You decide which one I'm replying to ;) )

2. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

I'm not what I used to be... :p

3. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Too busy being all domesticated eh? Where's The Brick gone? :D

4. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Hey Tim, I contribute to BandToBand and was wondering if you mind helping with the lineup for Ilium ‎- Vespertilion. Who were the band members and who were the guest/session players on that recording? BandToBand makes a point of listing bona fide band members only, and doing it more accurately than Encyclopaedia Metallum. :cool: A quick photo of the credits in the booklet could be helpful.

Dungeon are also in the BandToBand tree, and LORD will eventually be added.

5. Lord Tim

Hmm... I think that was a tricky one. It was Jason Hodges (guitar), Adam Smith (guitar, keyboards), me (guest vocals) but then it gets tricky.

There was a guy called Dave who played the drums but it wasn't particularly good and they had to be replaced. I think Tim Yatras eventually re-recorded the drums on a later re-release but the one that went out first was mostly (all?) drum machine, played by Adam.

Bass... I swear I can't remember the name of the guy who did Bass but it didn't go well. I'm pretty sure Adam eventually replaced that too.

Me and TY appeared in the video for one of the songs though, and I mimed Bass for that. It's important to point out that at no time were we ever anything more than session guys. A lot of bio material out there lists us as full members.

Hope that helps!

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

HEY LT!

Just wondering (when you've got time) if you'd like to share your experience at ProgPower ?

I've made plenty of US friends thanks to regularly going on 70000 Tons of Metal and numerous of them attended ProgPower and gave you guys massive kudos for your performance :)

So yeah - how did you find it? Were you nervous? Any issues to overcome? General thoughts on the organisation, other bands, etc?

7. Lord Tim

Typing on my phone so excuse the typos and formatting, etc. But yeah, this was a pretty good experience to say the least! Andy is really our social butterfly though, I get mentally fatigued by hanging around big crowds too much so I'm usually off chilling in the hotel room or getting some coffee or something rather than mingling. I'm sure the other guys are repping the LORD Brand quite fine without me, though.

From an artist's perspective, we couldn't have asked for a better crew/promoter. We were seriously treated like kings by everyone, and we couldn't be more complimentary to the entire PPUSA organisation. How they managed to keep things super slick but still retain that small "we are family" vibe is remarkable. Big props!

The show was sold out on every day. We actually had the biggest opening band crowd in the festival history, and it was packed!

[​IMG]

... As you can see. ;)

We were first band on and as such, first band tech blues were in force. Cables, amps, power supplies, etc. were all swapped out minutes before we started. We had a video feed that was supposed to be playing on the projection screens while we played that just refused to talk to their systems no matter what we tried. During the set we had no end of fun with the supplied wireless systems dropping out... You know, all of that stuff. Between that and the fact we wanted to make the show really visual, we were probably a little more loose than we wanted to be, but experience tells us that it rarely matters out in the crowd.

We had a great time on stage despite all that. Professionally filmed with multiple cameras and we got the set recorded too. Potential live release down the track (although a bit of it will need to be patched up due to the tech issues. No live album is really all live these days, I guess).

The fans were great. Huuuuuuge line to our signing session and it was killer talking to everyone.

My personal highlight, besides our set obviously, was Blind Guardian. Holy shit. They played the Imaginations album in full and it was magical! There may have been manly tears at a few points...! Haha!

We've (well mostly *I've*) been getting heaps of road footage so I won't say much about the rest of the trip and let the footage do the talking when we release it. Suffice to say that this has been a killer experience.

That all said, I have a beautiful partner and daughter who I'm missing like crazy right now, so as good as this was, the thing I'm most looking forward to is walking through my front door in a day or so. :)

#1987 Lord Tim, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Winmar likes this.
  8. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Sounds epic mate, glad y'all had a ball :D

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Brilliant feedback LT - thanks for sharing :D

Largest opening band crowd ever? CONGRATS!

And much jealousy on getting to see Blind Guardian do the Imaginations set! I've seen BG live 7 times now so I've probably seen them do just about every song live at some point, but to see the album show would still have been amazing.

Hope this whole experience opens a few doors for you in the US :)

10. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Sounds like it was such a success that they ought to have you back to knock out an even better set to release! :p :p Reminds me I watched Metallica's movie recently, and they added so many effects and things that you start to wonder if the mosh pits were choreographed.

Awesome, thanks for that! Was the initial bassist Peter, or was there another guy after that? Also, bios have TY getting involved from 2005, so it seems odd that the drum machine version would need to be released at all.

11. Lord Tim

Nah, TY didn't actually jump on board until later (2008 or so maybe?), and even then it was only as a session musician. Heaps of bios out there list him as actually joined but he was even less of a member than I was, and even I was strictly a guest.

And yeah, that was Pete Gilchrist that was the bassist on Permian Dusk and Vespertilion but like I said, I'm pretty sure that like Dave's drums, that was eventually replaced by Adam doing something (and then eventually the drum machine was replaced by TY). I see in their WIki they have Pete's son Cory on keyboards. He never actually played anything with the band before having a pretty serious injury, so he was a member by name only.

More or less, Ilium, post-Verspertilion was Jason and Adam, really.

Bloopy likes this.
  12. Sydo

Sydo .

Hey Tim.

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Todd La Torre given your love of Queensryche and respect for Tate.
    Todd seemed really humble in Melbourne, his vocals being near perfect (Queen Of The Reich - wow!), and hopefully won over many of the naysayers.

How was your gig?

Sydo.

13. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Bloody hell it's Sydo. Hi Sydo!

14. Lord Tim

Holy shit! HAHA! Nice to see you, man!

Yeah, Todd is great! He uses an entirely different technique to Geoff when it comes to hitting the high notes but it works well for him, and you can tell that, like me, he's been a fan of Geoff's vocals since the 80s and really channels that in his singing style.

Our gig was... interesting. We literally had 4 channels on the mixing desk available for the support bands. I shit you not. It ended up being 3x vocals and 1x backing track for synths, etc. - no mics on the drums, guitars, bass... nothing. So it was tough, but both us and Hemina who were opening did a pretty good job regardless. I can't say we've played through that little amount of channels since... fuck, 1990? Yeah. Wow.

Queensryche were great, of course, although they all looked exhausted. A friend of mine was talking to Parker after the show and she said they hadn't had a proper sleep in days. We were backstage watching them and you could just tell that these guys just wanted to be left the hell alone this time, so we kept our distance, despite having toured with them in the past. I've been on the other end of that when you roll into a venue and about all you can do is put a good show on, and anything else is almost painful - that was the look I saw on those faces so we respected that. But despite that, great show, they were as gracious as possible to anyone they talked to, and are still one of my favourite bands. It really warms my heart to see that they're all happy doing this now with Todd fronting them. :)

15. Sydo

Sydo .

Thanks for the reply.
    In hindsight, I'd say Queensryche did look tired on stage in Melbourne. I don't think that it had an impact of their performance but makes sense (and is fully understandable given their schedule). I have to say that I do wish they slotted in a couple more tracks from the 2 newer albums. At least one from the s/t would have been great.

Sorry to hear about your own experience. I was just thinking the other day it's now probably been between 8 and 10 years since I saw you guys play. I can't even remember which gig that might have been. Way too long.

Hey guys. Yep, I still exist.
    Had a couple kids and lost track of time.. Usual life stuff. :)

And since when can we upload more than 10kb for a profile pic?! Crazy.

#1995 Sydo, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  16. Lord Tim

Might have something to make up for people not seeing us perform in the near future though. ;)