This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Questions for LT

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

I'm sure plenty of guys do, and probably people like KK Downing and Glenn Tipton - have a listen to the sweeps they do on Painkiller (and some limited stuff they did as far back as Turbo), it's not your usual 'guitar shred hero' type sweeping.

At the end of the day, sweeping as such is just an effect - what notes you hit it entirely up to you, be it arpeggios or you're doing "economy picking" across a scale like Frank Gambale does, etc. If you don't want to play root-3-5 style arpeggios over anything, don't! :)

What I would recommend though is to work out if those "random" power chords are based on any particular scale, though, so you're able to apply a little more knowledge behind what you put over it. At the end of the day, you might find you're modulating from scale to scale even in the middle of a bar, but if you can find a pattern of chords that repeats and can work out the scale that's most appropriate to fit over that part of the progression, you'll know better what to fit over the top. And of course, on the other hand, sometimes going "fuck this, you know what sounds good over this? This here dive bomb and chromatic based noodling" where the scale is almost irrelevant - it's the attitude and the intent of the scale rather than a specific theoretical purpose to it.

I guess what I'm saying here is that if you're worried about working stuff out a lot, work out the chords and apply the theory. If not, don't worry about it. If it sounds good/appropriate, it IS good and that goes for any shapes you may want to use for a sweep idea too.

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Ok, Heard of www.pandora.com? Worth chasing (or is it even possible ) to get Lord on there given your present label affiliations?

Some details:

Q: What is Pandora?

Pandora is a music discovery service designed to help you enjoy music you already know, and to help you discover new music you'll love. It's powered by the most comprehensive analysis of music ever undertaken, the Music Genome Project: a crazy project started back in early 2000 to capture the complex musical DNA of songs using a large team of highly-trained musicians. Just tell us one of your favorite songs or artists and we'll launch a streaming station to explore that part of the musical universe.

Q: How are artists paid when Pandora plays their music?

At Pandora we believe strongly that artists and songwriters deserve to be compensated whenever their music is performed. We pay licensing fees to SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC for all music that is played on Pandora. These payments ultimately go to the performing artists, songwriters, and record labels. If you are an artist whose music is played on Pandora, you'll want to make sure that you register with SoundExchange so that you'll be paid for the performance of your songs on Pandora and all other Internet radio services. Also, we would suggest contacting Amazon.com to arrange for your music to be sold on their site. We get our album art from Amazon, so this will allow Pandora to display your unique album art when we play your music. And as a side benefit, your sales are likely to increase.

Q: What happens when I give a "Thumbs Up" / Thumbs down / Skip

[bsercombe edit] You are tuning the station to your music preferences. Not having used it I don't know if this is your personal station or if multiple people tune one station or how the hell it works. Perhaps Adams might have a go at it for us and report back if you are interested.

3. Lord Tim

I reckon there's a lot of other options out there that will be available to all listeners. And also, at present, we're at the mercy of our labels as to what we can do with assigning rights, so we'll have to pass on that one, unfortunately. :(

4. harrisbass

harrisbass Ignorant Plucker

Question for you LT:

Who does the voice-over at the end of 220 on Ascendence?

5. Lord Tim

The engineer (the "OK, let's do a take" guy) was Adam Jordan from Main Street Studios, the "what?!" was me, the "dude are you serious" was TY and the "HAHA you're joking" and "get him!" was Andy. The bottles that were knocked over at the end were played by Harrison Ford and Richard Dean Anderson. :)

6. Pate

Pate Member

That part always gives me a good chuckle.

7. Lord Tim

Believe it or not, the hardest bit was to get the bottles being knocked over to sound right! HAHA!

8. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

HAHAHA

Yeah, those were beer bottles that TY, and myself had polished off in the studio :p

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

On a different note- why did you pick 300 as the number of lifetimes ago in curse of the pharaoh?

10. Lord Tim

Tutankhamun lived around 1300 BC, which is about 3000 years ago. I worked out an optimistic lifetime for a person was about 100 years and added it all up and came to 300 lifetimes. ... Can we all see the flaw in this? Clearly I can't do maths properly and that was entirely wrong! HAHAHA! So I'm just accepting it that the death rate was FAR earlier (like 10 years old) back in ancient Egypt and it all adds up in the end. ..... right? :err: HAHA!

11. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The main point is- it sounds cool! Who cares about the math??

And you're right there... over all those thousands of years there would be a LOT of people who died at birth or a very young age.

12. Taberah

Taberah Jonathon B

I'm filling in a custom shop form at the b music site just to get an idea of whats the ball park price of my all time dream guitar, and i was wondering what sort of bridge to get, I want a whammy bar and I wish to be able to do huge dive bombs and all kinds of wanky shit with it, but there are so many choices! which one would you recommend?

13. Pate

Pate Member

It wouldn't be near as cool if it was "30 lifetimes ago"

14. Lord Tim

Damn right! HAHA!

Jono - get an original Floyd. Stable, sound great and easy to get replacement parts for if you wear it out. :)

15. Taberah

Taberah Jonathon B

16. matt2006

matt2006 Member

Hey Tim, great forum you have here, been reading it for a few weeks (especially love the 'music industry thread'). I saw you guys supporting Nightwish and honestly think Lord is world class power metal. Anyway, enough asskissing... I heard from a freind that when Lord played the Wollongong Youth Center (not sure when, maybe 2007 or 2006?), you got banned from playing there again because you drew to much of an 'older' crowd. I dunno why, but I always found this pretty amusing and wanted to know if it did actually happen or was it just a rumour?

17. Lord Tim

Hey, man! Welcome to the forum!

Like most rumours, there's an element of truth in there but the rest has been mangled to the point of stupidity.

OK, we played there, and not long after that, they had a big reshuffle of youth officers and budgets, etc. and changed the criteria to 12 - 24 years as the age of the crowd that could attend. Knowing that we'd lose a lot of money by doing that show if over 24's couldn't attend, we opted to not play there and helped campaign the youth council to do otherwise. Turned out they had other agendas before we even sent the first letter because not long after that, they stopped their "paid live entertainment" gigs entirely, and then even their free ones.

So yes, while it's true the crowd age thing had something to do with it, no one was banned and it all had nothing to do with LORD as such, it was just the usual dumb politics that go on behind the scenes and we'd just happened to be the last band that played there before it was all introduced.

18. Jonathon B

Jonathon B All Men Play On 10

hey tim, I'm interested to know who your influences were when you were young and just starting to learn the instrument. Also, who inspired you to have a go at singing?

19. matt2006

matt2006 Member

And kinda going off Jonathon's question, I dont think i've seen this anywhere, but what are your thoughts on Manowar?

I love them and they all seem like cool dudes except Joey, who just seems deluded (assuming he actually is serious). Do you think/know what we see is just his 'stage personality', or is he actually like that all the time? I mean I get believing in yourself... but he just takes it to the extreme haha.

20. Lord Tim

OK, I'll start with your question:

I'm honestly not a big fan of Manowar, but with a massive BUT attached to that. The BUT being that one thing you have to give Manowar huge props for is that love 'em or hate 'em, they always stuck to their guns when the world wasn't interested in them and dragged Manowar and the rest of the world with them right to the top of the metal scene. You only have to look at Earthshaker or Magic Circle Festival to realise that what these guys have achieved with the band is nothing short of amazing, regardless of how you feel about their music or lyrics. Big respect!

As far as Joey goes, don't believe his public persona. I've chatted to him and he's one of the nicest, most down-to-earth guys you'll ever meet when he's not being "Joey from Manowar" -all of the guys are.

As for the other questions:

When I was starting to pay attention to bands and instruments and stuff, it was most definitely Duran Duran and Pseudo Echo that were the big ones for me. Just before Funkytown came out and made Pseudo Echo huge, they had a song out called Try which was a miserable flop compared to their earlier hits like Love An Adventure, Don't Go and Living In A Dream, but I vividly remember seeing them play it "live" on Countdown and the solo made me go "holy fucking shit... I have to do that!!". Then they released Funkytown and there were even MORE solos in that!!

Vocal wise, it was actually Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran that made me want to sing and I'd tried to sing along with him (and other bands like Pseudo Echo, etc.) and do that kind of stuff. My first band was kind of a hybrid of those bands, Kids In The Kitchen, Icehouse, etc. where I was supposed to be the singer... but was actually too shy to sing in front of anyone, which prompted me to learn keyboards, then bass, then drums, then guitar after hearing Brian Canham do it in Try by Pseudo Echo.

Not long after that, I heard Live Evil by Sabbath and Rage For Order by Queensryche and it was all over - that stuff blew my mind and I knew that's what I wanted to focus on for the rest of my life... and did! :)