This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Quick Day 2 Thoughts

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Fixxer315, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Fixxer315

Fixxer315 Member

Metal Church was amazing, as they "put on quite a show." You couldn't tell that Mike Howe had been out of the business for almost two decades, as he sounded as good as he did back in the day. And the rest of the band was very good as well, as the band ran through a mix of classic and new material.

Between the Buried and Me was also very good. It's not quite my style of music, but I could respect what they were doing and the reaction they got from the crowd.

On the other hand, Vanden Plas was closer to my style, and I really dug them. I'll definitely have to check out their material at the merch room tomorrow.

Finally Twilight Force was a fun band, as they really got into the fantasy elements. I had a chance to meet one of the guitarists and asked him how he could breath on stage with the cloth covering part of his face. He said he didn't.

2. ratanda

ratanda Member

Metal Church played a great set. I'm most familiar with Blessing and Human Factor, so starting with Fake Healer was just awesome.

Between The Buried and Me were about what I expected. To me it doesn't really feel like they play "songs," but a string of riffs one after the other. It works for some bands.

Vanden Plas have always bored me, live and on CD, so they were about what I expected too.

Also had lots of fun hanging out and seeing friends there.

3. johnhead

johnhead Member

Colors was a highlight for me - what an amazing set and album. Was so happy to see BTBAM experience ProgPower

4. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

Colors...man that was something else. I'm pretty sure nothing else hit those technical levels all weekend, which is quite the statement considering what came afterward.

5. NorseBlood

NorseBlood franks n steins

For me, it was all about Vanden Plas & Metal Church with the edge going to Vanden Plas. I got to meet Andy Kuntz by the t-shirt vendors after their set, got a signed picture of the band, he signed my ticket, I got a photo with him, and I bought him a beer. When I asked him if I could buy him a beer, he said sure. So, I asked what kind and he said oh I don't know a regular one. So then I asked lager? IPA? and immediately he said IPA. :) So he got a yellow can Sweetwater IPA. I was really happy to buy him one.

One note is that they didn't make any money on the trip as it was a wash. They just wanted to play ProgPower and get some more exposure. The reason there were no Vanden Plas t-shirts is because it would have cost the band too much to bring them over! Its a heck of a thing for talented musicians to be in a situation like that. Something needs to change for the artists need more money in their pockets.

Metal Church was awesome & their playlist was perfect. Mike Howe is my favorite vocalist for the band, and he sounded great. Thursday was a lot of fun.

6. Charlie Dudley

Charlie Dudley So where do we begin and what else can we say?

Vanden Plas was my sole reason for getting Wednesday/Thursday tickets. They did not disappoint. I could've listened to them for another hour or more. No frills, just great music. We were also fortunate to meet Andy Kuntz by the t-shirt stand. He was really cool and kind of encapsulated the festival as a whole. These bands are so down to earth and thankful to meet fans. It's refreshing in the world we live in for musicians like them to be just as thrilled to meet us and watch other bands as we are.

Thanks to Glenn and all the guys for making this thing possible.