This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rate My Mix - Atmospheric Death Metal

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by aheadofmetal, Dec 23, 2013.

1. aheadofmetal

aheadofmetal Member

Hey Guys I just finished an EP playing all the instruments. Everything was tracked live except the drums which I used Fruity Loops (suprisingly).

I'm looking for some feedback so let me know what you think of the mix/master/songs/style etc.

It is available for free so don't be afraid to download it if you like it ;) haha

Thanks a bunch!

http://noxaeternum.bandcamp.com/

2. The Fat Elvis Combo

The Fat Elvis Combo New Metal Member

I love the music, definitely going to download this one. Reminds me a bit of Daylight Dies but is unique to anything I've heard before.

I think the mix works well, particularly for the style of music. It does sound a bit muddy at times perhaps from the guitars in the 300hz range. But I'm surprised that the drums were done in FL. I have tried to get good programmed drums out of it for years and never got anything like that.

3. aheadofmetal

aheadofmetal Member

Thanks for the reply and kind words Elvis. I think my ear is in love with 300-500 hz, because I cut there often and still have lots of energy in that region. I will definitely keep that in mind on the next one though!

4. aheadofmetal

aheadofmetal Member

Anyone else want to rip on my mix? Or have suggestions about making it better? Some things I think I struggle with are vocal production/chain and cymbal tone....

5. CountPuke

CountPuke Metalhead

Nice work, great sound! I like your music.
    The cymbal panning is a bit annoying IMO. When listening with headphones it feels like the drumset is all over the place, instead of giving the illusion that there's a real drummer/set in front of me. Opinions... Keep up the good work.

6. aheadofmetal

aheadofmetal Member

No, I appreciate the criticism CountPuke! I totally agree. I struggle with getting a live drum feel. Especially in the cymbals...I think it is mostly due to the fact that I am using random samples through fruity loops and I don't have any way of panning the bleed so the cymbals sound completely isolated. I've been thinking of upgrading to superior drummer but I worry that it will end up sounding like every other metal CD out right now. Does anyone have advice on this? Is Superior drummer worth it? Should I just bite the bullet and track live drums next time?