This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Reaper and mac issues?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by JonWormwood, Nov 27, 2011.

1. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

I might buy myself a long awaited macbook pro 15" but I just got heavily into reaper and i love it. I keep reading that there are alot of issues, alot of freeware plugs dont work properly etc. Anyone have anything to comment on this?

2. Mutant

Mutant I hate that supercow !

Like 90% or more of freeware plugins are PC only.

You don't buy a Mac to run freeware on it.

I heard REAPER is pretty stable on a Mac now, no personal experience though.

3. MaxStatic

MaxStatic Member

A blackhole of all things artistic and warm
    ^what he said about the plugins.

I run and older Intel 15" Macbook and don't have any issues. Only plugins I use are ezdrummer and a few free soft synth plugs. I use the built in ones for everthing else.

4. AudioGeekZine

AudioGeekZine arsehole know-it-all

Only problems I have with Reaper and plugins are:

Both VST and AU versions of Autotune EVO and 7 Demos (AU crashes Reaper when inserting a Waves plugin after, VST has no vertical scroll line so you can't see what blobs are playing)
    Podfarm 1 graphics are misaligned.
    My iLok2 keeps disappearing requiring a restart.

I don't use many free plugins that aren't from bigger companies. Flux, BX Digital, Valhalla DSP and many others work.

5. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

I'm running Reaper on a late 2011 MBP 17in, almost exclusively vst (but you have to use the mac ones) and it's very stable.

It only crashes when I forget to plug my ilok if the session needs one, it freezes there, I think it's because the waves authorisation window when the vsts are loaded appear behind the reaper window so I can't access it and need to force quit reaper, plug it, and start again... No big deal since reaper is a pretty clean installation anyway.

Otherwise, absolutely flawless in my experience with only vsts, and using legit quite well known plug ins from big companies, plus occasional freebies that are mac compatible.

If you switch you basically have to think again about your vst options, from scratch, if you were using a lot of vst freebies from here and there.

6. Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Dalinkwent48@aim.com Be Creative, Get Laid

My boss has reaper on his macbook pro (2009 model i believe). And he swears by it. I'm not too sure on which plugs he uses but I know he doesnt really use the stock ones.

7. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

Well I got the macbook pro so time to get started!