This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

recommend me some non-metal THAT ISN'T ABOUT GIRLS/RELATIONSHIPS

Discussion in 'Non-Metal' started by Life Sucks, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

Aside from the aggressive, dark, or emotive nature of the music, one of the things I like so much about metal is that it is the only genre where most of the lyrics don't deal with girls/relationships. Surely, there must be some non-metal out there where the lyrics don't deal with girls/relationships. Instrumental suggestions are welcome. One quick note: I'm not into jazz. I've tried to get into it before, but it doesn't click with me for some reason.

2. Vimana

Vimana Member

Rage Against The Machine, even if you dont like Rap they have awesome riffs and solos
    Audioslave
    The Mars Volta

Most non-metal bands have a song or two about relationships, just dont listen to those songs. Some I can recommend.

Alice In Chains
    Jimi Hendrix
    Santana

Ill come up with more later.

3. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

One or two songs with girly lyrics is fine. I hate bands where it's all they sing about, and that is the case with most non metal. "She said" is probably the most common line in any alt/indy rock song.

4. Vimana

Vimana Member

I wouldnt say its the case with most non metal but its common in indie. I mean in pop music its common but theres a lot more non metal than that.

5. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

Too many bands to list. Surely the most important factor when looking for new music should be the music itself, not the subject matter of the lyrics.

6. SouthernTrendkill

SouthernTrendkill Super Normie

Pffft. Don't tell the guy what to look for in his music listening, that's retarded. When it come to non-metal, lyrics is probably my most important factor.

Those of ya'll claiming there's tons of non-metal without reltaionship lyrics, please do tell, since I can't think of much.

Rage Against The Machine rec seconded. Politic stuff is a good place to go for non-girl lyrics.

7. NinjaGeek

NinjaGeek Member

I've got shitloads of non-metal that isn't about girls/relationships or is in another language so I can't tell either way. I'm just not sure if much of it would be downbeat or depressing enough for you.

8. Alter

Alter Banned

Have A Nice Life(not to be missed!)
    Animal Collective
    Mogwai
    Explosions In The Sky
    Deerhunter(the shoegaze band not the prog. one)
    Interpol(have to throw it out)
    Black Dice

9. Satanstoenail

Satanstoenail My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle

Um, I didn't "tell him" to do anything. It seems odd to me that lyrics should be the be-all end-all of your enjoyment of a particular band/song. If you feel the same as him, good for you.

Faith No More
    The Jesus Lizard
    Mogwai
    Sex Pistols
    Tomahawk
    Mr. Bungle
    Pink Floyd
    Radiohead
    High Pass Filter
    The Heliocentrics
    Dj Shadow
    Massive Attack
    Alice In Chains
    Soundgarden
    Jurassic 5
    Wu-Tang Clan
    Regurgitator
    Midnight Oil

Basically I could go on all day, but the request is far too broad really. "just don't list Jazz because it doesn't click with me" doesn't exactly narrow it down much.

Also, most bands that have songs about relationships generally balance the subject matter out depending on the song. I can't think of any bands that just have songs about relationships tbh. If you're going to rule out listening to a band because they happen to have a couple of songs about girls, then you're going to miss out on a fuckload of great music.

10. NinjaGeek

NinjaGeek Member

I honestly can't think of 1 band in my 4000+ song library that sings about relationships, though there probably are a few hiding somewhere.

I've always seen songs about that type of stuff in the rock/pop genres, probably some country and rap. But there are shit tons of other genres out there, where such lyrics would be out of place IMO.

11. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

I think it's impossible to run into a non-metal band that hasn't sung about relationships at some point in their career

12. Thoth-Amon

Thoth-Amon Hypochondriac

Classical Starters Kit:

Bach- Brandenburg Concertos 1-6
    Beethoven- Symphonies 1-9
    Mozart- Piano Concertos 20-27

:worship:

13. Jimm O)))

Jimm O))) Member

Cheer-Accident (experimental/alternative)
    Russian Circles (Instrumental/math/post-rock)
    Boris (stoner rock/post-rock/drone/etc) - they sing in Japanese so even if they are talking about girls, you probably won't know it.
    Dälek (hip-hop/shoegaze/experimental)

14. Burkhard

Burkhard Active Member

Did you already check the recommendations in the thread you started in the GMD-forum?

I just found out that a few days ago someone posted nearly all the songs of one of the albums I mentioned in the GMD-forum on youtube. The clips aren't actual videos, they only show the painting(s) which the lyrics refer to. (Sometimes, Edvard Munch did different versions of his paintings.) Here are a few examples:

"Skrik"

"Angst"

"Syk pike"

Another album which came to my mind is "The Man From God Knows Where" by Tom Russell. It's about a part of American immigration history, told by the example of Tom Russell's own family whose roots can be traced back to Ireland and Norway. There are also some lyrics about relationships on that album, but that is not what the lyrics focus on.

#14 Burkhard, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  15. NinjaGeek

NinjaGeek Member

I feel like everyone else in the world is going crazy.

16. CAIRATH

CAIRATH Astral Disaster

Sometimes I think that people who listen to metal unfairly get labeled as being close-minded unsophisticated idiots but then there's threads like these that remind me where that reputation comes from.

If you seriously think that almost all music aside from metal is about girls/relationships then you desperately need to crawl out from whatever rock you've been living under. How can you even make that claim when clearly everyone saying that here has no musical perspective whatsoever and barely even listened to anything that isn't either metal or mainstream rock.

Asking for music that isn't about girls is like asking for food that doesn't taste like pizza.

17. Alter

Alter Banned

While I dont think Life Sucks is an idiot, I agree with you. Its the same with metal and cheesy lyrics about satan. I wish people could understand how to look at different forms of music.

18. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

Current 93 - All the Pretty Little Horses

Despite the 'girly' sounding name this is probably one of the most disturbing albums I've ever heard.

Death in June - But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?

19. v2kv

v2kv Member

lol...you're kidding, right?

20. wolf

wolf seeker of the esoteric

If you want to check out some instrumental stuff I would suggest Grails.Their "burden" and "redlight" would probably be the best choices.They do great shifts in mood.