This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Recommend me some pickups for my guitar.

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Rex Rocker, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Just got an old Ibanez S470. It's pretty solid. I dig it. It sounds pretty dark and chunky.

Right now I have an 81/60 combo in there, and it sounds nice, but I want to try something new.

I want something that has a similar kinda vibe as the 81/60, but with more agression in the top-end and perhaps output levels more similar to the Het Set (meaning a touch more than the standard 81/60, but not to such extremes as the DiMarzio X2N either).

I can't overstate how much I dig the emphasis on the high-mids and super tight, subdued low-end of the EMG's, so I want something like that.

It can be both passive or active.

So... D-Activators? Evolutions? Duncan Distortions? EMTY Blackouts? Other? Any idea how those compare output-wise to the 81/60 and Het Set?

No BKP's, please. I want something more affordable and readily available.

Thanks.

:)

2. SPLANCHNOPHILIA

SPLANCHNOPHILIA New Metal Member

I'd go with Hetfield's set. They're supposed to be the enhanced 81/60 version. And they'd be easier to install.

3. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Already have the Het Set in another guitar. I like them, but I want something else for this guitar. :)

4. Matt-Steele

Matt-Steele Member

EMG 57 - 66

5. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Already got a set of those on its way for another guitar! :lol:

6. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

7. Splat88

Splat88 Member

You finally got over the Dimarzio Super D in that thing? My S is a bit hard to get right too because it's got a really thick low mid, beefy tone despite its skinny body. I've had all sorts of crap in mine, starting with the Duncan Distortion, the JB, then a Dactivator, then an 81/85 combo, then back to JB, now back to 81/85. Each have their own advantages, but overall I think the Duncan Distortion floated my boat the most. The EMG 81 is just so god damn thin sounding on that guitar for my style of music. I kind of wish I just would have kept the JB I had in there, but I'm not wiring any more. I'm sick of it. Definitely DO NOT put a Dactivator in it. It was absolutely awful in that guitar. I currently have it in an Ash bodied ESP and it sounds amazing in that though.

8. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Haha, the Super D was in an older guitar. An Iba SZ, actually. Got rid of the Super D and got some EMG's for that for a while. It doesn't have pickups right now. That's actually the one I'm going to stick the 57/66 in.

This S is newer. Which model is yours? This thing is actually darker than the thick-bodied SZ, for some reason. Honestly, I think this S is a better guitar overall.

I do like the 81/60 in this guitar, but I wouldn't mind trying out something new... and quite honestly, a little less polished and tight than an 81 would be nice.

9. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

A little too expensive and not as readily available in the local used market, I'm afraid. :(