This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

recording a band with no bass

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Geno_, Apr 16, 2011.

1. DanLights

DanLights Santa Hat Forever

curiously enough, I was having one when I read this.

To put it in another way, you get a band coming into the studio saying "we don´t want no sample replacing cause Wigger McJigger doesn´t replace his drums and I wanna be like him" but their drums are shit and they don´t realize that (we all know it happens more often that it should), don´t you secretly sample replace them knowing they´re too retarded to notice? Or when they don´t want no editing cause they want it "natural" like their favourite band, but they´re shit at playing their instruments and their favourite band isn´t?

Again, not saying this is the case, perhaps they really do know what they´re doing and actually have ears to judge and not just go by names and brands, but we all know it´s more often for the opposite to happen

2. GarethSE

GarethSE New Metal Member

Dumbstruck.

3. Geno_

Geno_ zerocool

hey guys = some ace comments not to mention that gretch duo jet, pretty insane.

Just to clear up, the band indeed doesnt want a bass and i think thats a cool thing.
    as has been mentioned by some people it is a grind thing at the end of the day and its more of an energy/vibe thing i think.

Also to say i am actually looking forward to this session, as i do to most of my sessions being honest - any work is good work in my book!

Like i tried and possibly failed to say in the opening post - i have some ideas of what i will do for the session already, i thought it would be a cool thing to discuss what other guys might do in a similar situation - im not at all moaning about the session to come.

all in all some cool approaches so far!

due to the number of posts i will definatly post the end result/work in progress in the rate my mix section.

that wont be for a month or so as the session has been moved back as i had some other more pressing work on/ the band were cool with delaying the session as they have a tour inbetween the original date and the new one.

4. MarcusGHedwig

MarcusGHedwig Member

That's pretty fucking cool IMO!

5. DolphinSplatter

DolphinSplatter What it is, Bullhorn

^^^^
    lol, that's basically what i suggested earlier. Only you don't need a splitter. Just play everything twice ;)

6. MarcusGHedwig

MarcusGHedwig Member

Yeah, but I was more responding to the "solder each pickup to a separate output jack" idea ;)

7. AEL89

AEL89 Member

Maybe its this sort of cynicism that's led to almost every metal engineer going down the slate and 5150 route though. That's not a jab at you at all - but if you approach every session thinking "these idiots won't know what the fuck they're doing so I'm just going to do my tried and trusted thing...fuck experimentation" then... you know. Bit boring isn't it.

I guess I'm lucky in that I get to work with a lot of good bands and musicians, albeit the majority of my productions aren't metal (less than 10% in fact).

I agree, mainly. If you're recording and you consider yourself more of a producer than just an engineer - I'd take the opportunity to help the band with their vision. Like you said Erik - if they don't want bass - its a bold musical choice and you should nurture the possibilities this provides you when you're mixing. You could make something really great with this band - can't wait to here what you do with it, dude! :Smokedev:

8. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

There's a huge gap between 'they won't know what they're doing' and 'I'm cookie-cutting this project'. That conclusion can lead to problems no matter *what* is used to justify it... I wouldn't consider that cynicism, since laziness tends to be an even more powerful issue.

Jeff

9. DanLights

Actually I posted a thread about that a couple months ago, nobody seemed to give a fuck :err:

I understand your point and in fact I support it, you seem to have misunderstood me. I never say "They're not gonna know what they're doing" before knowing if it's true, it's during the recording sessions when you realize if they are good or not, and after they have left when you try to figure out what do with what you have recorded.

I am definitely not the guy to go with the "tried and trusted thing" at all, I'm totally against it really, and never in my posts did I mention that, you simply implied it for some reason

10. Geno_

Geno_ zerocool

Hey guys just to say the recording for this starts tomorrow so will try and take some pics etc and then put in the rate section if anyone is interested :)

11. DanLights

Please do! Good luck!

12. Hez

Hez Evil Dead

Good luck with the project!

Would also like to make this useful and insightful contribution: Wormrot fucking rules

13. Grå Värld

Grå Värld Member

Sorry for the necro bump but Geno I was wondering how the recording and mix turned out?

14. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder The Truth Is Out There

Bull's eye man!

Having no bass would cause a conflict within our current perception of general metal mixes. We need to have something "down there" contributing to a smooth groove. If that's missing, we'd say the mix sounds weak.

15. MotherEel

MotherEel Member

I'd have them play to you a few times, talk about what they want, re-arrange things (amps, amp EQ etc) and get them to play again, see if they like the old set up or the new more.
    Maybe get them to bring albums they are aiming for (hopefully all bassless). On Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer there's triple tracked guitars: a super scratchy one in the middle and the scooped mids on one side, high/low scooped on the other. Sounds good.

16. ThrashKitten

ThrashKitten Sonic Pulse

Use an 8 string guitar and play both the guitar and bass lines on the same instrument? haha

17. DanLights

Guys, old, I don't think he needs any more advice, I also kind of half regret my opinion on this, knowing Geno's skills I'm sure it turned out great, I'm curious to hear.