This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Recording gang vocals

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Heabow, Jun 25, 2015.

1. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

How long are the parts? Do they need a pitch reference? If short/no was your answer, you can toss a pair of headphones on the ground, crank the shit out of them so they can hear the click/lead in, and then drop the volume before they all do the part.

I do this when tracking vocals sometimes as a way to let the vocalist be in the same room and not have to be wearing headphones; he wears headphones, I manually duck the volume around his takes. Bleed goes away and my ears don't get sore and sweaty.

2. Studdy

Studdy Member

Use one person as the director/coordinator. They wear the headphones and will count the part in, do the waynes world thing and dont say 2 or 1. lol

3. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

I usually make on in charge of counting. Only he wearing headphones. Then I just make them repeat the phrase. Then just cut and align

4. Heabow

Heabow More cowbell!

This time I set up a pair of headphones for two guys (4 in total). It worked well.

Thanks man, will try it.

5. plague_rider

plague_rider Coffee

I went ahead and recorded 4 guys at once, took a few takes, as mentioned above, if they're poorly rehearsed its difficult. did a couple of takes then got them to switch positions then recorded another couple of takes to layer it up nicely.

6. Korwent

Korwent Member

That's what I do too!

Of course it can be tricky if they lack of practice, but what isn't in this scenario?