This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Releases 2009!

Discussion in 'Skyfire' started by AeonicSlumber, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Gadlor

Gadlor Herald of Homoerotic Fury

I'm sorry Don. We're just a little more frostbitten and grim than you. :Smug:

It is a little fun to discover new stuff before other people. Also, they tend to do a little more experimentation than big established bands, cuz who gives a fuck? It's not like they're likely to lose their record deal, or conversely make a lot more sales.

I dunno, that's just my take! Weird bands that noone hears of have a tendency to trod untrod ground.

2. AeonicSlumber

Don't look at me, I'd say half of my list isn't even underground!

Here it is (top 25):

Amesoeurs – Amesoeurs
    Alice In Chains – Black Gives Way To Blue
    Converge – Axe To Fall
    Baroness – Blue Record
    Skyfire – Esoteric
    Skeletonwitch – Breathing the Fire
    Regina Spektor – Far
    Drudkh – Microcosmos
    The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart- The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
    Ulcerate – Everything Is Fire

Devin Townsend Project – Addicted
    Miseration – The Mirroring Shadow
    God Dethroned – Passiondale
    Insomnium – Across The Dark
    Fen – The Malediction Fields
    The Few Against Many – Sot
    Paradise Lost – Faith Divides Us – Death Unites Us
    Mastodon – Crack the Skye
    Katatonia – Night Is The New Day
    Devin Townsend Project – Ki
    The Gathering – The West Pole
    The Red Chord – Fed Through The Teeth Machine (the surprise sleeper hit for me this year! Damn cool album with an otherwise horrible back catalog.)
    Wolves In The Throne Room – Black Cascade
    Magrudergrind – Magrudergrind
    Portal – Swarth

Honorable mention: Candlemass, Teitanblood, Amorphis, Malkuth, Shadow Gallery, Krallice, Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster, Redemption

3. froosch

froosch Low Talker

Yakerfoldmcgyyseaks are a bunch of douchebag sellout assholes and Lady Gaga looks like the Juggernaut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The Don

The Don Member

^HAaha a creepy resemblance. I remember when Lady Gaga, or as she used to be called Vampiress Nocturnus Gagastus, used to be a tr00 frostbitten bad bitch. What a shame. I'll make a top 25 this year. But later.

Good list Aeonic. Everyone keeps repping Wolves in the Throne Room. Gotta check em out.

5. AeonicSlumber

Honestly if she had a CD full of songs as catchy as Bad Romance and Poker Face it would be the best pop album since Thriller. Those songs get stuck in my head for days son.

6. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

I guess my awaited releases for 2009 are all out because the Agrypnie album has been delayed and will be out next month.

7. GameFreac

GameFreac The Derminator

How have you not checked out WITTR yet?

Get Two Hunters, then the debut, then Black Cascade.

8. AeonicSlumber

The EP that came before Black Cascade is really good too!

9. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

A Looming Resonance is a great track. I love those vocals. Hauntingly beautiful.

10. ShadowCreator

ShadowCreator Member

Aye, thats a fantastic track. Unfortunately though Hate Crystal is probably their worst song.

I will come up with a list soon I suppose, the final release of this year I was looking forward to was the Woods Of Ypres album and it was a bit of a bombshell. Eveything else has sunk in fully I think..

11. AeonicSlumber

Currently watching the new Dark Tranquillity DVD. Looks amazing, even on an HD TV. Get it!

12. The Don

The Don Member

I don't know if it's a gay hormone that's kicking in due to overstudying and sleep deprivation but is Before the Dawn - Dying Sun just the nicest shit ever or what?

13. diecast

diecast Member

that song is awesome

14. The Don

The Don Member

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how much better that song is than 4/5 the songs they have in their entire discography. Makes it even more epic I guess...?

edit: Hell yeah brosephinas! One semester left of being irresponsible and idiotic. Check this dream semester out: Psych 101 P/F, HIST 101 P/F, ECON 454, ECON 490. 2 actual classes, 2 bullshit pass/fails. Whoever said you can't double major and have shit left over was a bitch ass. 2010 shall be good for: metal, academics, and vagina hunting

15. The Don

The Don Member

Anyways, I have a question: What band should I look into if I haven't listened to a lot of Doom/Melo/Death and I love Swallow the Sun, Daylight Dies, Novembers Doom, etc?

Im not looking for bands like Slumber, Rapture, Ghost Brigade, etc. Anything I'm missin big?

16. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

The Morningside and Saturnus perhaps.

17. AeonicSlumber

You are missing huge on Slumber and Rapture that's for damn sure. However check out Paradise Lost's "Gothic" album, Hooded Menace, and Church Of Misery.

Oh, and Orphaned Land's second album (I believe it's called El Norra Alilia or something like that..) has some doomy tendencies as well.

18. AeonicSlumber

I just listened to the new Jon Shaffer solo album "Sons Of Liberty." Being an Iced Earth fan, this CD makes me so fucking furious for so many reasons. 1) Half of the appeal of Iced Earth in my opinion was the fact that they didn't sing about politics or "real" issues. They sung about fucking vampires and spawn and aliens. I don't need to hear you air out your retarded ass extremist conspiracy theories.

2) Yeah, you spend half your time touring Europe where you make the majority of your income and then you bitch about how we need to take America back. Woe is you. Suck it you sack of shit. There is no "New World Order," nobody is going to enslave anyone. And if there was one, guitar harmonies and triplets aren't going to save us. Nothing will. I'd much rather spend my days living the life I've got than trying to fight some Illuminati bullshit.

Thankfully Barlow is not part of this crap. I will say that Jon has a surprisingly good voice though, even though his lyrical arrangements are horrific.

19. The Don

The Don Member

Jeeeese dude. It's music. At least you don't have a retarded, colored baby from a white mother...

Speaking of bullshit, apparently Wintersun's website has been down for the count for a week.

On second thought, Be'lakor is the shit. After a month of listening to both discs, Be'lakor has finally surpassed Fosters as the best AU product...

20. AeonicSlumber

Well that's the thing, it's not music. This whole conspiracy theory Alex Jones NWO/whatever movement that's been all the rage for the last few years has been personally annoying to me for various reasons and seeing musicians that I once respected buy into this bullshit sucks. I'd rather see Varg Vikernes become a Christian than once-pissed off ragin' thrashers like Schaffer and Dave Mustaine turn into these whiney bitches complaining about how the world is out to steal their freedom from behind the curtain. Sorry.

Anyways, not like I should have to explain myself. Every other post from you is some sort of bitch/moan fest. "Wahh Jari won't let me suck his dick or teabag my face. What a dumb fag!" or "you guys know about moar music than me, you all suck and I hate you so here's me posting about it!" or "oh no, a grind thread. bandz i dont like. im gonna poop my panties now."

You also need better taste in Aussie bands. Make it happen ASAP plox.

Start here:

#560 AeonicSlumber, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015