This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Residence Inn vs. Grenada

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by synflower, May 24, 2006.

1. synflower

synflower rocker chic

.....this seems to be the big debate these days amongst a few friends and I that are going to PPUSA this year.

So, I want to start a thread with input from all of you. Which hotel do you prefer and why?

2. progpalaceradio2

progpalaceradio2 New Metal Member

We usually stay in Atlanta since the station owner lives there, but he's moving to the DC area (where I live) and so now we find we need a hotel! Are all of the hotels walking distance? If anyone has to give up a reservation at the Residence Inn please let us know, I'm told it's sold out. Any other suggestions?

April
    Prog Palace Radio
    http://progpalaceradio.com

3. rottingflesh

rottingflesh Member

I prefer the Residence.

4. yardleybates

yardleybates Chick Wrangler

yippee38 and I are Grenada fans. The only downside for us is that some of our friends will be staying at the Residence again this year (Shaye, Linda)

The Grenada has always been VERY good to us. This will be our 5th year to PP and 2 of the 4 previous stays, we've been upgraded free of charge since we made our reservations so early and the hotel fills up. Last year, we were waiting FOREVER for a cab to take us to meet up with some friends for lunch. The shuttle guy saw us waiting when he went out to run some folks somewhere and when he came back we were still there. He drove us all the way to meet our friends even though it was FAR outside the radius the shuttle is meant to go.

We love the location, I know folks say that the Residence isn't really any farther. Breakfast with the Evergrey guys is HILARIOUS !! Especially with the 1 lone suburban family in attendance.

There are always black tee-shirt clad folks in front on the steps, in the lobby, in all the halls. You are never at a loss of people to chat with :)
    :kickass:

5. longshot9

longshot9 Member

I've stayed at both and definitely prefer the Residence. It may be more expensive, but the real kitchen makes it all worth it. So nice to have a full size fridge that you can stock with beer and food before the night so when you get back to your room at 2am hammered you don't have to get behind the wheel to find some grub and more beer. Grenada was 'ok', and seems to be the choice of bands, but i personally felt, for the money that it was overpriced and the rooms felt 'old'.

6. Sumeet

Sumeet Member

The Granada is older, not as nice as the Residence, and is generally considered more expensive (though prices at the Residence seem to be going up too... I certainly don't expect to ever again see the $56 room I got there 3 years ago). Those are the two absolute closest hotels to the venue, but there are several more that are still well within walking distance. The Sheraton, for example, is 1 - 2 blocks further, but I've had good luck find low rates there a few times. It's a high-rise, so it has more rooms than smaller hotels like the Residence or Granada, and is sometimes willing to offer deals if their occupancy isn't high. There are at least 6 other hotels within walking distance of the venue as well.

7. J-Man

J-Man Old as Yoda

We will be staying at the Residence Inn, from what i can gather from the websites of both the Granada and RI, They are sold out completely from the 13th thru the 17th. Good luck in finding a good hotel close to Earthlink.

8. MetalAges

MetalAges Captain Spectacular
    Staff Member

I stayed in the Granada last year but a friend of mine was at the Residence. After seeing the Residence and the rooms, they are much nicer than the Granada. I switched to the Residence Inn for this year.

9. J-Man

J-Man Old as Yoda

WOOOOHHOOOOOOO Deron is going to be at the Residence Inn also, that is going to be killer.

10. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

It honestly depends on what your priorties are. The Residence is about an additional five minute walk and is indeed much nicer. It would also be the preferred choice if you wanted peace & quiet after the show or just to relax during the day.

The Granada is older and a tad overpriced due to it's proximty to the venue (which is a must for me). It's a central meeting place due to the plaza & porch on the way to the venue. There is always a crowd chatting outside. It's also become the place to party since the Fairfield closed down on a smaller scale. After the show ends on Saturday, you can find an entire hall with the doors open and parties going on till daybreak. Plus, Their breakfast is far superior to the Residence.

11. sloppyj03

sloppyj03 New Metal Member

Super 8 > all

12. nailz

nailz Member

Curufin and I have always stayed at the Granada, and I've never had an issue with them, it's very centralized, nice place, clean, don't mind parties/beer etc. For the past 3 years now, Curufin's gotten the Suites on the 3rd floor, and they are UNGODLY awesome. There's a front closet big enough for someone (me) to sleep in.

Plus we throw the biggest, most bad ass party ever on the first night.

13. jaimek

jaimek incorrigible

The Fairfield was my hotel of choice til it was converted and I stayed in the Residence last year; but I've been in the Granada enough to know that I MUCH prefer the Residence. Unless you get a suite, the Granada is terribly claustrophobic with its narrow, dingy halls and two-butt rooms. Residence comes across as bigger, cleaner, and the staff took good care of us.

14. StewiesSexyParties

I'll be at the Hampton Inn. Any input from anyone who's stayed there before?

15. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

3 out of the 5 times I have stayed at the Granada I have had a full size kitchen with everything. It depends on the room you get. Suites and Apartments at the Granada have full kitchens and kitchenettes. Again to add my two cents, I have never had a problem at the Granada and always have a great time there. They get my business again this year.

I have been to the Residence a few times, its a nice hotel, but its a big hotel and the thing I like about the Granada is the comfort level it provides.

Here are some pictures from our stay at the Grenada

The Happy Hour/Breakfast room (Freeeeee drinksssssss and fooood)

[​IMG]

Our dining room in our Apt 333 m/

[​IMG]

Pooch and the Hally ways upstairs, two bedrooms and two bathrooms,one at each end of the hallway, this is the Aprtment I have reserved for this year.

[​IMG]

Living room

[​IMG]

Living room and Kitchen

[​IMG]

Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!! m/ 333

[​IMG]

Fits allot of metalheads with room to spare LOL

[​IMG]

That is why I stay at the Grenada :headbang::kickass::kickass::kickass::headbang:

16. rottingflesh

rottingflesh Member

I stayed there one night last year.. liked it... had a pool so i got to do some swimming

17. booB

booB Señor Member

Granada: A friend and I stayed there for PP2, whcih was the same year as the 9/11 attack. They ended up "losing" our reservation, despite the fact that we had a confirmation number and had called to confirm our reservation a few days earlier. Instead of the suite for $129 that we were supposed to have, we were given a 1-bed crappy room, for the same $129. I won't stay there again.

Hampton Inn: I've stayed there twice (for PP5 and PP6), and had no problems at all... it's a little bit farther from the venue than the RI, but not significantly so. It's the third closest hotel to the venue, and it's only a block or two away from the 24-hour Chinese restaurant (the only place within walking distance to eat after hours, AFAIK). If you can't get into the Granada or the RI, this is not a bad place to stay. The pool is nice, except when Rifkin's loud voice is echoing around in the pool area. :lol: :lol: The workout room there sucks ass, but I doubt you'll need it if you get enough walking exercise during the weekend.

Residence Inn: Joe and I'll be staying there for the first time this year... they seem to have the best rooms, best amenities, and best service overall, and most of my friends will be there. There's no shortage of parties there, but it seems like they don't disturb the sleepers too much. Also, I got a $30/night cheaper rate there than at the Hampton Inn, for similar amenities.

18. mëtålspëd

mëtålspëd Umlauts ist Krieg

Residence Inn for me. Clean rooms, kitchenette, free high speed internet, and you just tell the front desk what you want (in my case... a lot of beer and junk food), and they send someone out to get it! It arrives a few hours later.

19. Creeps

Creeps Member

Me too.. Jagrbombs at my place :kickass: Reservations already made and paid for! This will be our 2nd time there.

20. Meteornotes

Meteornotes Crazed Diet Coke Addict

I love the RI. Nice big rooms, kitchen/fridge, you can order stuff from the grocery store and they'll deliver it to the room, great free breakfast, Starbucks and Subway right nearby, and the AWESOME Madison Grill right next door. I've been there the last two years, and will probably always get a room there from now on.

dt