This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sabaton lineup

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by raising_iron, Jul 10, 2013.

1. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

Forgive me for being more than a little skeptical, but does it concern anyone else in here Sabaton's lineup has basically been gutted? What are we to expect? (That being said, if they don't perform up to past glories it won't be a terrible disappointment for me, I've seen them twice already).

2. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

I saw the new lineup during their last U.S. tour supporting Carolus Rex, and IMHO you won't be disappointed. After getting blown away by their previous PPUSA performance, I was skeptical as well going in when they came through, but they made a believer out of me. All of the high energy they are known for was evident. The only disappointment I had (being a keyboard player) was that all the keyboard parts were previously recorded and piped in over the P.A. instead of played by a living human being...they didn't have a permanent keyboard player yet for that tour. I cannot find anything that states they have filled this position as of yet.

Sabaton's Wikipedia page says that "In November 2012, drummer Robban Bäck decided to take a break from touring due to becoming a father. Snowy Shaw will replace him as touring drummer." I don't know if that will be the case when they appear at PPUSA this year, though... wouldn't that be a hoot?

3. miel

miel Mrs. Harvester
    Staff Member

Tonight they opened for Iron Maiden in Malmö, Sweden for around 40,000 people. No concern here.

~Jen

4. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Would you REALLY notice the change if all members with the exception of Joakim were standing behind closed doors while playing the show?

Both the old guys in the lineup and the new one are really good at what they do and great people... but let's be honest; SABATON doesn't really play a style of music that a change in anything other than the singer would be terribly noticeable imo.

As Jen said, they're still kicking ass every night. No reason for being skeptical or concerned.

5. hoodaman

hoodaman Is it live or is it Dave?

this, I do not like. I hope they have a keyboard player in the band come Sept.

6. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Get used to it. Pretty standard nowadays...

7. hoodaman

hoodaman Is it live or is it Dave?

not a good feeling to spend the money, drive for hours to get to a show (nothing comes to alabama) just to get to see stuff piped in.

I'd honestly rather see a version that's nothing but live music even if it's stripped down than see a version that sounds close to the CD if a band has to cheat to do it.

8. labrekk

labrekk Member

The band "imploded" just before I saw them last year and I was really worried. But the new guys nailed it and the band gave a killer show. I was also a bit disappointed by the lack of a real keyboardist on the stage, but the recorded parts are just fine and it doesn't detract the overall performance.

9. Hammerlock

Hammerlock Member

I've seen them twice since the switch (and three times before it), and I can assure you, they bring as much thunder and metal to the stage as they ever have. Zero loss of momentum for them, I can't imagine how anybody could be disappointed.

10. mattbrood

mattbrood PPUSA Facebook *****

:headbang:

11. AeonicSlumber

You realize that if the band is playing to a click due to pre-recorded backing tracks, the band is infinitely tighter than if it was playing without a click and had a live keyboardist right?

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 METAL... nuff said!

Saw the "new" lineup last year in Detroit, and they didn't skip a beat!

13. djjello

djjello djjello

Saw them in Louisville right after the changes. Yes, it's technically "not the same" without the live keys. But - they freaking brought the glory, the sweat and the fury - and it was absolutely AWESOME!

14. Justin G

Justin G Member

Exactly.

15. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

They're still fun. I miss a few of their members (we'd hang out after shows when we played with them), but their new drummer is VERY nice and they still put on a great show. I'm just hoping Civil War takes off so we can see them in the US, again.

16. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

By the same token they could be even tighter YET by using ONLY pre-recorded parts. Why listen to five musicians who could make mistakes when playing live, when you could just pipe in ALL the music mastered to perfection?

I've accepted the piped in aspects of concerts, but I would far rather see the bands adapt the songs to be played in a live setting with the musicians on stage. That includes bands like Rush, too! Want to have three people only on stage? Then re-work the material.

17. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

Not as many people are willing to hear something different from what they hear on albums. You hear something polished with effects and harmonies and junk on most modern recordings today, but no band can achieve that without tracks in the background, and if they actually DO re-work the material for just the guys on stage, (some) people complain. It's a bummer because for the most part, I agree, I prefer a live performance than one to a tape. But I totally went apeshit at that Rhapsody of Fire show.

18. mitchgx

mitchgx Tired and Irritable

Infinitely? So, there can be no more tightness?

19. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

20. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

Is Snowy Shaw still with them as their touring drummer, or did Robban Bäck rejoin the band?