This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sabaton lineup

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by raising_iron, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Element_man

Element_man Lord of the Realm

Ugh, I hate that mentality. You can be plenty tight with a full lineup that properly rehearses, performs and practices their craft. You don't need to have all your harmonies in a row and every pizzicatto "plink" lined up to the 32nd-note kicks to be a convincing live band. There are exceptions of course, I couldn't imagine listening to a Rhapsody gig without the symphonic layering but bands like Into Eternity running all their guitar effects and clean/dirty channel switches through a protools session leaves me cold. Makes your gig look/sound/feel about as canned as your backing tracks.

2. PureXul

PureXul Member

As of yesterday's gig in Malmo, Snowy is still handling drum duties.

3. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

Very cool! I had the chance to have a long conversation with Snowy a couple of years ago when the played with Therion at PP USA. He is a great guy and hope he enjoys coming back to our little festival in Atlanta! :lol:

4. AeonicSlumber

Because listening to a record means listening to a bunch of robots, so ironically, the dude who accused the band of "cheating" and likely bought the record is listening to a bunch of quantized, sampled drums, edited guitar takes, melodyned vocals, and other studio magic implemented on 90% of metal records today.

Bands playing to a click are ALWAYS going to be tighter than a band that doesn't, end of story. Rehearsing has nothing to do with it. You can rehearse with a full band without a click for a year side by side with a band that rehearses with a click for the same amount of time and the latter will always be tighter. The former may sound more "real" but that's neither here nor there.

5. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

Well, it seems some of you have seen them with no problems. I would agree about the singer being the most noticeable, but come on, 4 guys at once gives me pause, plenty of bands have not lived up to former glories after a couple of guys have been replaced. I do agree their style as fairly easily inimitable, so given that with nobody seeming to have any negatives to say about this should allay any concerns! As far as the keys, I'd prefer a live player but it really doesn't bother me if they have to pipe them in, that's just one of those "it is what it is" scenarios...

6. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

Oh, and is Snowy Shaw going to be with them at this ProgPower then?

7. PureXul

PureXul Member

Taking nothing away from the ex-members, I honestly think they're better live with Chris, Thobbe, and Robban/Snowy. Neither Oskar nor Rikard were particularly active in terms of crowd-engagement, while I felt that both Chris and Thobbe did a good job of that. Robban was a bit reserved behind the kit, but Snowy hit the mark perfectly in my eyes - showy, but not to the point where it was a distraction.

Their performance at PPUSA X still stands as one of the best I've seen, but I think that coming in as a headliner this year with a lineup that has had time to gel, they can top it.

8. Hammerlock

Hammerlock Member

The thing that gives me hope is that the two remaining members, Par and Joakim, between them did all of the writing for the albums. Look at the credits for music and lyrics. If one of them had taken off, I'd be REALLY worried for their future. But since the primary forces behind what made Sabaton what it is today are both still in place, I am very confident that the follow-up to "Carolus Rex" will sound as if nothing had changed. They don't need to "imitate" their own brand of songwriting. And like I said, live, they still have the energy and charisma that the old lineup had across the board.

9. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Confirmed.

10. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

"Doesn't matter where we goooooo
    He's always there.
    That fucking Snowy Shaw"

That song still makes me laugh.

11. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

[​IMG]

12. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

SABATON - Not Even A Broken Toe Can Keep Them From Wacken

"This is just perfect," writes SNOWY SHAW on Facebook. "Broke my right pinkytoe today (July 30th) and I'm playing Wacken on Friday (August 2nd with SABATON). Barefoot as always. But I've toured six weeks with a broken leg with KING DIAMOND, so I'll get by somehow."

[​IMG]

13. Fizrider

Fizrider Quasi-Old Fart

Totally what I thought, and I didn't want to say it.

I have ALMOST forgiven Dream Evil for their hibernation sickness - but I'm not quite there yet.

Snowy Shaw + Sabaton - I may just laugh throughout the entire set. In a good way.

14. PureXul

PureXul Member

Hibernation sickness was Arcturus, Dream Evil screwed up their visa interviews/paperwork (forget the exact details, but it was something along those lines).

15. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

Well, glad to hear all the positives. Their catalog kicks ass so can't wait to see if they indeed do top their last ProgPower performance!

16. Fizrider

Fizrider Quasi-Old Fart

You are correct, sir. They applied for the wrong Visa after procrastinating the application process AFTER Glenn did everything right on this end.

Okay - I can forgive them for being stupid - it's been almost 2 years...