This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SATURNUS CONFIRMED FOR CHICAGO POWERFEST 2007

Discussion in 'Chicago Powerfest' started by GateXII, Feb 5, 2007.

1. GateXII

GateXII Soul Collector

Without a doubt, probably the best post I have ever seen you make on this forum! :kickass:

You hit the nail on the head...the ultimate goal is of course longevity...and in the long run, we hope to make everyone of you original fest supporters happy by inviting at least one of your favorite bands. Sorry Bob, I really can't promise that ElevenKing will ever play...although, stranger things have happened. :p

Thanks brutha!! ;)

2. The Invisible Guest

Yeah, you could call those bands "cheesy" I guess :) I think Mystic Prophecy is pretty ripping though, and pretty much no frills stuff. Machine Men is pretty much like Bruce Dickinson solo stuff. Sabaton is probably the cheesiest of the three.

Britt

3. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

JOHN.....I have been posting here for months and you cant get my name right!!!! It is BOB!!!!!!

4. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

I dont know if I could call Sabaton cheesey. They are not Rhapsody or Running Wild. But they write some catchy songs.

5. GateXII

GateXII Soul Collector

Sorry brutha...I was totally thinking BOB!! :p I just got done replying to John's post earlier & between all this stuff & my full-time job, my brain's kinda been mush today.

I meant no offense & I do know your name...how can I not, really? ;)

6. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

Just busting your balls.

7. GateXII

GateXII Soul Collector

Oh I know, but I still felt like a douche considering the positive-ness of the post/reply...haha :lol:

8. The Invisible Guest

Wow, this line got me excited. I like a fair number of bands that are already announced, but this line above makes me think the best is yet to come.

Britt

9. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

See earlier I was almost thinking that you were drawing form a similar crowd as Maryland Deathfest. Till I realized that you are drawing from a combined ProgPower esque crowd and Deathfest type crowd. I really hope this works out for you guys.

I'm still considering going, as there is lots of shit at my parents place that is mine that I'm not sure if I want thrown away. So its a good time for me to sift through it. Affording the flight out to do it though is another issue ;)

10. The Invisible Guest

I also just checked out some of their tunes ... not bad at all. I think I might be able to take to their music okay. I might wind up a Doom fan yet ... I really dig SA's latest .. Alone. Robert Lowe is an excellent singer.

Britt

11. The Invisible Guest

I've seen some pics of them wearing army fatigues .. you have to admit that is pretty cheesy.

Britt

12. The Invisible Guest

We laugh and joke about Elvenking quite a bit on here, but they are actually a high quality act from Italy in the folk/powermetal genre. They aren't a personal favorite of mine, but they do seem to be generating more and more of a buzz the past year. You wouldn't be hurting your fest by adding a band like that in the future. Some of the dungeon and dragon dweebs would plop down their dough to come out and see them play in the states .. led ofcourse by Bob !!

Britt

13. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

wearing army clothes is cool as hell:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

actually it goes with thier lyrics and what the band is about.

14. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

Yeah, Elvenking are really generating a good buzz, they have put out three solid disc and keep improving. I think people hear the name and instantly think Rhapsody style music about dragons and knights. The only main problem with them is the line up changes. Each year they have someone leave, then come back and then adding new guys and some leaving. I think now they finally have a solid lineup. They are a band that would surprise many if given the chance.

15. GateXII

GateXII Soul Collector

Well, we are "trying" to do something that will set us apart...you have to remember that there are a bunch of other fests popping up all over (even around Chicago) & we need to take those rosters into account as well..and that certainly doesn't make things any easier.

Bottom line is...we're rolling the dice, keeping our balls crossed, and hoping that it all works out. :p

16. The Invisible Guest

I know, I know, but that can be considered cheese of the highest order.

Britt

PS Don't tell anyone, but Greg (Zod) likes these guys.

17. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

I am a huge Sabton fan. They were a total surprise to me when I first heard them. The new disc is always playing at my place.

18. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

LOL. I do like these guys... despite their cheesyness. In the case of Sabaton, it's the oh so delicious sort of cheese.

Zod

19. NvmbrsDoom5

NvmbrsDoom5 Member

I knew that having bands such as Saturnus, ourselves, Solitude Aeturnus, etc., would cause some controversy amongst certain people because of it being more closely linked with the doom scene as opposed to the power metal scene. But I give Rob and co. alot of credit for taking a chance and trying to do something a bit different with a metal fest in this country. You have Maryland deathfest which is mainly brutal dm bands, you have the ProgPower fest down in GA., you have the Heathen Crusade which leans mostly towards folk/black metal, New England Metalfest which, while still varied to a degree, leans mostly towards the metalcore/hardcore scene.....now to have a show with a mix of bands like Powefest does, sets it apart from the rest. It may not have a massive turnout, time will tell, I hope it does well. But whether it's a huge success or a bust, either way I still give props to Rob and co. for taking the chance and trying something different. I know alot of people are waiting to see who the headliner will be (I'm curious too), but regardless I think this is going to be a pretty entertaining bill. Hopefully some people will be open-minded enough to come check it out and allow themselves to be possibly turned on to some new music they weren't previously aware of? It's a nice thought.

20. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Well, taking a chance on bands seems to be working well for Heathen Crusade. Not sure how that does attendance wise, but the buzz is strong. The line-up (sans headliners) is looking pretty good as is.

I am curious to see if the headliners balance out the mix of genres a bit.