This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Saxon Returns!

Discussion in 'Saxon' started by TheAssMaster, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

:lol: :lol:

2. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

I wasn't pissed by 7pm. I was by the time we got into the Kasbar after the gig, but then we had been drinking since 2.30pm!

3. SAXONIZED

SAXONIZED Made In Yorkshire

Did you fall in the bath in the early hours Pax? :lol:

4. Paxoman

Paxoman Member

Nah I managed to avoid that one this time mate! :lol:

I did have to complain to reception though that the people in the room opposite were making a lot of noise. I think the occupants just happened to be the channel 4 film crew! But they were playing some shitty music, and not Saxon or any other metal, so that wasn't on! I told reception that it was 4am and it wasn't on. I didn't tell them that we had literally just walked through the door ourselves! :lol:

5. Gig addiction

Gig addiction Member

Was Harvey Goldsmiths comment of "Saxon for Donington" wishfull thinking or is it gonna happen? Maybe some of you who talked with the band/manager can shed some light on this ?

6. Golden_Goose

Golden_Goose Member

Great pics! :kickass:

I'm jealous! I wish I was there:erk: better yet...........I wish they were here :p

I'm glad you blokes got to see the mighty Saxon :headbang:

7. Fingers

Fingers Member

A few of us spoke to Harvey Goldsmith after the show, I asked about Donington but he wouldn't elaborate and to be fair he probably couldn't (contractually maybe????).

P.S. I hope that chat doesn't make the documentary :lol: as it was a guinness fueled discussion :kickass:

8. Fingers

Fingers Member

First of all a big hello and great to meet you for the first time or again in some cases to the following in no particular order (Apologies if I miss anyone) :worship:

Paxoman
    Sammi
    Lionheart
    Goss
    Wilks
    Bec (and Paul???? )
    Skinthrapper and Mrs Skinthrapper
    SaxonMckenz and Cumbrian gimp boy (The name he gave himself :zombie: )
    Midnightrider
    Saxonized and Junior Saxonized ( So glad he enjoyed it mate :) )
    Nibbs
    Harvey Goldsmith

You were all GREAT company, the laughs :lol: will live long in the memory.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the show, people have mentioned the mix etc. but I'm not that technically minded. To me I base my enjoyment on as much the reaction and the :) 's on the peoples faces around me during the gig, and of course the reaction of the band. And in my opinion it was a great night with :) 's on the band and the crowds faces alike :headbang:

Yes people got on the stage, who cares in my opinion no harm was meant. It was refreshing to be at a gig with no barrier or a row of bouncers between you and the stage.

Some moments that stand out, Nigel spotting Pax and bellowing "Paxoman" as they took a bow. Biff sticking the mic in mine and Wilks face during Denim and Leather I was so gobsmacked I nearly forgot the words :lol: . And finally everytime Biff said "what do you want to hear?" my standard response "Atilla the Hun" until he eventually responded "For gods sake man its 10 minutes long ! :lol: "

At the end of the day it was a great afternoon and evening, apologies to the boys I left behind in the Kasbah - My homing pigeon instinct kicked in, thank god I never tried to get a drink in the hotel I swear I would have fallen flat on my @rse walking in on the band etc. :lol:

Can't wait for the London and Berlin gigs. :headbang:

9. Klingonbear

Klingonbear Member

Sounds like a pretty good show! Glad you guys had a good time. 'Fraid I also notice the FOH mixes... I worked for a while as a sound engineer, so it kinda bugs me until I have a few bottles of Dog to calm the nerves.

I'll see any of you that can make it to the show at Wolves... I'll be the guy at the bar who looks like me.

Cheers!

10. TheAssMaster

TheAssMaster Member

Calm down, calm down man!!:cool:
    I did try to avoid naming you, but since you've outed yourself, and most people knew I was talking about you, it's OK! It wasn't meant to be a nasty go at you, I think that quite possibly it's a touch of the Meldrew affecting me. It'll happen to you one day, you'll turn into a miserable old git too.

Glad you had a good time, it was perfectly obvious you enjoyed the show (and the odd sherbert beforehand). And if your on-stage time is the only other thing for me to bitch about (apart from the F.O.H. sound), that can't be a bad thing. It means the band triumphed again.

As for me being a better man than you..........weeeeell, without having a weiner measuring contest, we'll have to leave that as an open question.
    No, in fact, you have a loooooong way to go before you can top my legendary antics after a couple of sherberts, you are a mere amateur. I have been a Grade A, Class 1 prick in my time, as many people often remind me, which is why I now no longer drink! Sometimes they tell me things I did 15 years ago that today are still news to me!

And as for hogging stages? Well, beat this : Birmingham, 1990 ish, Saxon finish set, assemble for final bow, Assmaster leaps onstage, relieves Mr Glockler of the sticks he is about to chuck out, and then takes the bow with the band! What a bell-end!
    Now, go away and try harder, then, and only then, will you see the top of the mountain. See you on tour soon (though not too much of you please LOL) :)

11. TheAssMaster

TheAssMaster Member

Only a truly talented band can shine through when they are being hampered by poor sound, and the fact Saxon were preaching to the converted (perverted?) was to their advantage too.
    You really don't need to be technically minded to comment on the sound - if you have "normal" hearing, your opinion is no less valid than an acoustician's. Remedying the problems is more involved, but bands play to laymen, not rooms full of critical sound engineers. If the mix is wrong, it is wrong, and Friday night was more than just a niggle here and there, or the engineer only pushing a guitar half-way through a solo, he was waaaaaaay off-base!

The worst of it is that the FOH engineer actually has a very easy job. No, seriously, it is not rocket science, and you can't really "learn" it, it's a "feel" thing. The hard part is working out and positioning speakers, setting the room eq up, setting gates, compressors and reverb etc, positioning mics.
    All that work does take a professional, but he has all afternoon to do it, and generally has a couple of bods helping him too, who are usually "apprentices" with some tech knowledge/experience.
    By the time the band come on, the engineer is on the home straight, only in exceptional circumstances should he be fighting with the sound or making drastic adjustments.

I know I whinge on and on about things, but it's only because I love this band so much, I hate to see anything hinder them. Yes, I have a professional interest in the subject, but I'm not pitching for the job. I don't go to a gig to criticise the engineer, it's too much like "work" then. Only if he is really good (Priest's sound at the NEC blew me away), or really bad, do I fell the need to comment.

SACK HIM!!!!!!!

Hmmm, I'm inking the paper this week to buy a really tasty (and bloody expensive) line array system, perhaps I should pitch for the job??!!! Maybe one day.....!

12. Bosnian Witchfinder

my mate told me it was awful?

13. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

We did also speak with Harvey after the gig - but I honestly can't remember what he said...I think he was probably pretty non-commital about it. You know what it's like, they play their cards close to their chest.

14. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

Ooops, I just answered this question before I saw your reply, Fingers - still, I'm glad it wasn't just me who couldn't remember what he said! lol

15. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

Blokes?? Ahem.....I'm not a bloke :D But I do like to be "one of the lads" :)

16. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

I hope it doesn't either!! I said to him that I hope he isn't going to make "our" Saxon look stupid!! :lol: He just smiled at me, but didn't answer! lol

17. Gig addiction

Gig addiction Member

Thanks Fingers & Sammi for answering my question (as much as you're able to)

Its gonna be interesting to see how Donington shapes up this year what with rumours of Maiden doing their own show days before Download fest & that it appears the Monsters of Rock Milton Keynes wont happen this year.
    Who knows, maybe a day of classic rock at Donington again? Certainly hope so.

18. Sammi951

Sammi951 Member

I was also talking to him for a while - If my memory serves me correctly, I think his name was Peter :)

Couldn't have put it better myself, Fingers! :worship:

I hear what you're saying - but, personally, I don't like it when fans get on the stage, I've paid to see the band. As there were no barriers when they played at Manchester, this happened A LOT, as I'm sure Paxoman and Timothy Sykes will testify, and it really got on my wick after a while! But I would much rather suffer a few 'head the balls' jumping on the stage than have barriers up, anyday :) It didn't bother me, as such, at Sheffield, because it didn't become a major problem.

Thanks to you, Wilks, Paxoman and Midnightrider (who I think was standing behind me, and therefore stopped me getting pushed about) for looking out for me - it's nice to know there are still some gentlemen around! :) I do, of course, realise that if I will insist on standing at the front (as I do! lol), then I am likely to get jostled, and I'm prepared for that to happen - but it's really nice when the people around you do give you some consideration - it isn't always the case!

19. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

Been great reading through all this stuff, glad you guys had such a great time! Gutted i couldnt make it !

:cry:

20. valanx

valanx Room of Angel

double post