This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Secret Sphere re-recorded A Time Never Come...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by 1000 Faces, Apr 14, 2015.

1. 1000 Faces

1000 Faces Member

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

Personally, I think it is their best album, tho it would be interesting to hear Luppi's take on them.

What I really need is a new copy of "Mistress of the Shadowlight", since for some reason I can't rip my copy.

3. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

Definitely their best album. Normally I am not a fan of re-recorded material, but with Michele Luppi I am certainly willing to make an exception for this one.

4. Stevie WOnder

Stevie WOnder Not so active member

+1

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

One thing I realized from the announcement: The album is currently out of print. It also isn't on Spotify. (Their catalog there starts with "Scent Of Human Desire") Makes me wonder if the original recording will see a re-release at some point.

6. 1000 Faces

1000 Faces Member

Yeah, it's been out of print for a long time, as has Mistress of the Shadowlight. Both these albums were on a small Italian label called Elevate that went belly-up pretty quickly, at which point pretty much everything it released vanished off the face of the earth, including early albums by DGM, Empty Tremor and Power of Omens. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a reissue of any of the Elevate albums, so I suspect there's some sort of contractual voodoo going on with them, since you'd think that long-running bands such as Secret Sphere and DGM would want to make sure their older music is available.

I suspect that's the point of this re-recording—to get the band's best album back in circulation by skirting whatever legalities prevent it from simply reissuing the original version. And if it happens to feature a vastly superior singer, so much the better.

7. Locust0311

Locust0311 Shopping Ape

That would explain why the Power of Omens albums go for so much on eBay. Glad I got both back in the day. If I ever get around to unloading my CD collection I'll have to check the other Elevate titles to see if they've had a similar uptick in value.

I'd be surprised if DGM ever sees fit to re-release or re-record any of those early albums. Only Fabio played on the second album and none of the current band members played on the first. Stylistically they were pretty different from where the band is now too. My memory says they sounded somewhat like early Symphony X but its been a while since I revisted them so things are pretty hazy.

8. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

They definitely have more of a neo-classical feel to them. I am still trying to track down the first one at a reasonable price, but the second album I think still stands as one of their strongest outings.