This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Senior Trip

Discussion in 'Amon Amarth' started by HaloSlayer, Jul 15, 2009.

1. AeonicSlumber

Sorry, but my brain explodes when someone assumes all they drink in France is wine, that nobody speaks English in Europe, and that everyone at festivals smokes pot.

French beer FTW.

2. AeonicSlumber

No Negura Bunget is doing shows and stuff.

And since Ulver's first show was in Norway, I assumed it was a one-off. Now that they're doing Brutal Assault, I hope they will at least pull an Emperor/Immortal and play NYC/LA.

3. amon666

amon666 Member

was reading Primordail's forum

http://smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=210435

they probably meant half of the band left and got new members?

4. AeonicSlumber

That blows big balls. Om is such a great record and I hope to see them live one day.

Anyways the moral of this thread is that the best fests are where the black metal is. :D

5. amon666

amon666 Member

yeah also their site is last updated back in 2003 lol lazy fuckers

6. AeonicSlumber

Would probably fly to any fest that books Deathspell Omega. ^^

7. HaloSlayer

HaloSlayer Member

What the hell are you talking about? If your post is any indication then don't worry about your IQ dropping. You can only measure IQ in real positive integers. I don't believe it can go negative.

8. HaloSlayer

HaloSlayer Member

It's interesting that this is where your mind went to, even though I never asked about anything like that. Do you have some repressed issues? And you really impressed everyone by typing in caps. Well done.

9. HaloSlayer

HaloSlayer Member

First of all I have been to Europe many times. I know that English is spoken in most of the major cities that looks for tourist money. I also know that people of any country appreciate it when you try to speak their language while visiting their country. That is why I would prefer to go to a festival where I speak that language.

Second of all you are a moron if you think that France is known for its beer. Most of the Mediterranean countries (France, Greece, Spain, and Italy) are known for their wine. That’s not to say that is all they have there. And I also know there is a lot of wine country in Germany. But Germany is still known for beer. I notice you did not actually name a French beer. You can go back and look one up but it’s too late. We all know you didn't really know any.

And finally, just because I choose to live a drug free life, it does not mean I wish to push my lifestyle on anyone. I asked about the drug use at the camps because I would prefer not to be around it. I don't wish to condemn it.

And aren't you the moron who gave an opinion but then admitted to have not even been to the festival? Why are you even posting on this thread?

10. HaloSlayer

HaloSlayer Member

Thanks man. That helps out a lot. I think we will give it a go at camping then. Is it all tents or do you think I could maybe rent a camper somewhere and bring it? I think the closest international airport is in Hamburg (since I have to fly in from the states). I bet I could rent something there.

11. HaloSlayer

HaloSlayer Member

I figured the ones in Europe were better. You have to remember that in America all we get are the festivals that encompass every type of music from rap to pop and if you are lucky they may have one or two metal bands. We do have some mini festivals such as Deathfest and Summer Slam but they are tiny, even minuscule by comparison to European festivals.

12. gnoff

gnoff Member

For the 5 years I've been it's been fairly hot or very rainy during the days, and quite cold during the nights.

Do bring some sort of boots, it tends to be muddy.

Some ppl smoke cannabis, but usually it's th ealcohol that brings most ppl down.

Showers exist of cours, but plan to go during the night, since the queues is fairly long during the day, and also hot water is mainly available during the night of the same reason.

For more Q/A see my earlier post to the Wacken forum, also I'd recommend for Wacken specific Q's to join the Wacken forum and post on the international board, since there you get ppl that are all for Wacken, more than here usually.

13. gnoff

gnoff Member

The camp site has two versions, the one just for tents and the one with cars/campers/bikes and tents.

No idea on where to rent campers, but it would probably be better than staying in a tent that I usually do.

14. Tomasz

Tomasz outdoor type

Yes, Hamburg is the nearest major airport, although you'll most likely be initially flying to some other city in europe than Hamburg. I'm sure you could rent a mini-camper such as VW pop-top or such, it'll cost you a pretty penny though. It would deffinitelly be better if you don't like tents. Problem with the tents is that when you are trying to fall asleep and all of a sudden hear somebody drunk approaching at that moment you start hoping that they won't trip and fall onto you ;). good times. Of the few times I've been to fests in europe I've seen maybe 5-6 bands max each time as it's quite exhausting to be standing in the sun all day and then night for 3 days straight. Yes, Wacken's line-up has not been very impressive in the last few years and there are other fests with better combination/range of bands. I was very impressed with Grasspop in Belgium.

15. AeonicSlumber

Your sweeping generalizations in this thread coupled with the idiotic responses to amon666 in the Cultures thread ( I mean really, to actually tell a native Jordanian how his culture works as if you are more educated in the matter than him AND then to call him on grammar mistakes... just wow) are all I need to know that you're full of shit here. Everything I've seen from you up until now has been assumptionist and ignorant.

As someone pointed out, Wacken blows ass now and Hellfest is superior. Why ANYONE would want to go to a festival with a lineup full of bands that regularly tour the world and almost no exclusive performances is beyond me. Hellfest not only has bands that rarely tour like Destroyer 666, Manowar, and Repulsion, but they also have a WAAYY more eclectic lineup than Wacken, which is now pretty much either mainstream metal(core) bands or metal bands that regularly tour the US.

And while you're entitled to make whatever choice you want, deciding not to go to a festival because of the beverage that the country is famous for (I know full well that the Mediterranean is more famous for its wine, however, to assume that they ONLY drink wine, which is basically what you said, as if Hellfest only serves wine on its festival grounds is beyond dumb and ignorant. Not only have I had great French beer, but some of the best beer in the world comes from French-speaking countries like Canada or Belgium) or because of the language (despite the fact people from all over the world come out to these... Do you seriously expect Japanese, Croatians, Canadians, Chinese, Brazilians, etc to speak German too?) is just mind-boggling... Why are you judging entire festival experiences based on nonsensical stuff that doesn't matter in the first place? These are metal shows with metal bands, not some sophisticated exhibition. By the way -- isn't this a gift for your son? Who cares about what YOU like to drink? Your son isn't of legal drinking age and I doubt that this is a factor in what he wants in a fest. When I was 17/18, alcohol was alcohol but the difference between a good show and a bad one was huge.

And no I haven't been to a Eurofest, but common sense says it would probably be a waste of money to spend hundreds of euros to see bands that tour the US regularly in intimate settings.

I love that after having called you out several times now on dumb posts, you then accuse me of being a "moron" and claim that my IQ is in negative integers but can't detect simple sarcasm. You're a champ dude!

16. AeonicSlumber

FYI, two of Hellfest's sponsors are Jagermeister and Jack Daniels. Wine companies right?

They also only serve Beck's at Wacken, so have fun drinking mediocre beer at a mediocre show broski.

17. Babydollcybergoth

When did they start serving Becks? 2 years ago they still had Warsteiner.

We brought our own tent. Tents only areas are closer to the festival area if you show up on Wednesday/early Thursday. If you have a car, then you could end up being quite far away from the festival area.
    The closest international airport is Hamburg. You can take the train up to Itzehoe and then bus or cab it to Wacken. If you're gonna rent a camper, etc, you should definitely look into it in advance. Don't expect to just show up and get what you want. Email tourism offices to get more info on stuff like that.

18. AeonicSlumber

When Becks became the exclusive beersponsor. I think that Wacken has its own beer though too(which I am sure is disgusting).

19. Babydollcybergoth

Well how about that... oh well... don't drink beer anyways so that doesn't bother me.

20. Celtik Militia

Celtik Militia Dumb French Bastard

Blasphemy.