This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

Shred Like Loomis Entries

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by Ambivalent, Jun 16, 2010.

1. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

A jelly doughnut?!

2. orbsonb

orbsonb penguins jersey guy

i can almost understand trying to show off by sweep picking all over the place. i mean, i play guitar and sweep picking is fun...but the horribly loud drums just don't make any sense to me in the context of the video.

3. Cat5Messiah

Cat5Messiah Violator of Sheep

Why on Earth would he post that? The dude needs some friends to tell him "Dude, I wouldn't post that if I were you.".

4. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

That's the problem many artists have - they ask 'critique' from their mom and their closest friends, who will usually be all enthusiastic. Friends often fall short in their duty to tell a friend that what he does is bad.

5. TheKid

TheKid OFR

OH GOD NOOOOOOO

:lol: fucking yes

My friends and bandmates are the complete opposite, esp. my bassist :( :lol:

6. Cat5Messiah

Cat5Messiah Violator of Sheep

I lol'd. Well played, sir.

7. El Stormo

El Stormo Member

Heh, noticed that, did you :D

8. Ambivalent

Ambivalent Member

Has there been any update at all with this?

9. sixstringer76

sixstringer76 S.D.M.F.

I feel the need to express myself here so bear with me...........

1. So you can sweep, this does not make a guitar player. He looks as if he is trying to play the riffs as easily as possible.

It's like when I see a guy driving around Tucson that has his truck lifted so high I can't imagine how he possibly gets in it being that the floorboard is a high up as his head. Usually when I see these guys driving around or in a parking lot I say to myself "Nice truck, sorry about your dick", nuff said.

2. This kid could out sweep me any day of the week but I play tastefully. Ever hear of Gilmour ? Cantrell ? Technique is one thing but it will never take place of feel.

3. Damn I hate an Ibanez. He has the worst tone of any vids posted here for the contest. YUCK :puke:

4. Why add all that extra shit in ? He's trying to show off because somebody along the way has lied to him and told him that he sounds good...........

10. Shpongled

Shpongled Member

It really sounds like he picked up a guitar maybe 2 years ago and did absolutely JACK SHIT with it besides sweep picking, until about 2 weeks ago.

11. orbsonb

orbsonb penguins jersey guy

yeah, his sweeps are pretty clean but other than that his technique is god awful...what the hell is he doing in the "rise! rise!" riff? it sounds like his pickups are attempting and failing to produce flatulence

12. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

Yeah, that entry made me laugh out loud quite exuberantly.

Why the Ibanez hate, Mr. Sixstringer76? They are good enough for Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Paul Gilbert, but not good enough for you? *jokes*

13. Shpongled

Shpongled Member

Imagine how his parents must have felt when all they heard for 6 hours straight every night was something akin to what you hear on that video :lol:

14. seedawakening

seedawakening Member

why do people bring more attention to the shittiest videos rather than the best entries?

15. sixstringer76

sixstringer76 S.D.M.F.

They just aren't for me. I don't like the necks on them for one thing.

16. Dead Winter

Dead Winter STAHP

You people are deaf and blind. There's a difference between sucking because you have no taste and sucking because you can't play. His tone is awful but that's because of the amp effect he's using. His sweeps are accurate and precise, yet poorly chosen and overused. His style is stale, cold, and without feeling, but he's NOT sloppy. I agree with Kevin that he's focused WAAAAAYYYY too much on sweeping and not on playing, but technically he's pretty good. His bendings are all in tune, even if sometimes they don't match the song. He's not half-assing anything. All his notes ring clear and loud.

This is what happens when you practice scales all day and not songs, and when you don't know anything about rhythm.

I fucking hate sweep picking.

17. Altitudes

Altitudes Stay Frosty

I like the thin wizard necks on Ibanez, and I like the fat necks on Gibsons. I am not too picky when it comes to neck diameter, but the thinner it is the easier it makes it to play up on higher frets.

But I do dislike painted necks.

First off... deaf and blind? I am not Helen Keller, but even see would have to look away if she was sat in front of a computer with that guy's playing. Secondly, sweep picking isn't all that hard. And lastly, bending and vibrato is probably the most important thing any guitarist should practice when it comes to playing leads.

18. Dead Winter

Dead Winter STAHP

Exactly, and his bending and vibrato isn't THAT bad, he's just bending the wrong notes.

I don't understand your argument. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Have you been drinking again? Are you on that crack-cocaine, son? Are you a doper, boy? All that heavy metal and long hair and earrings in your ears...YOU BETTER NOT BE SMOKING DOPE!!!

Sweep picking isn't all that hard...I just suck at it because I never practice it and would never use it aside from short, three string sweeps to accent a solo or lick. I tried to sit down for a week or so and a couple of hours a day actually try to practice just sweep picking, but it made me want to smash my guitar out of boredom. I'm all about strange rhythms and that kinda thing. The solos I like to play are melodic, bluesy, and powerful like AIC, Gilmour, etc. Shredding just never appealed to me. When I started taking lessons seriously, I honestly tried to get into it, but it's just something that I have absolutely no interest in doing and I always found myself going back to slow and bluesier stylings. Every time I see the perfect shredder...hands perfectly placed, very little movement, tons of control...I find my mind wandering towards what could possibly be in the fridge for me to eat.

As far as this dude, I just think he's tone deaf and has no idea about harmony or melody. He can shred, but his video reminds me of that parody of Satch's "Always With You, Never With Me" or something like that. It sounds like he's so good that he knows just the right notes NOT to hit and hits them anyway. He's obviously technically proficient, at least in playing scales up and down, but that's about it.

Can someone explain to me the circle of fifths again?

19. Shpongled

Shpongled Member

20. Shpongled

Shpongled Member