This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Similar Bands

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by DeFy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. gkelter

gkelter Trashed, Lost & Strungout

Risto is the best keyboardist I've heard. He's a lot more accurate than Jens Johansen. Also, he's 16. What the fuck?

2. I've been Bodomized

Yea I was thinking the same thing, its amazing how well he plays. His accuracy is amazing, and he "shreds" like a mother.. Hah. I'm loving this kid. His pictures in black and white looks like Macauly Caulkin. Too good...

3. DeFy

DeFy MAJESTIK MASSACRE

4. DeFy

DeFy MAJESTIK MASSACRE

5. Hejira_Omeed

Hejira_Omeed Member

Thales are great, I just got their demos recently in the mail and they kick ass. I don't really think they sound like bodom though.

6. I've been Bodomized

Am I the only one who thinks that the style in Kalmah, Wintersun, and Skyfire is not anything like COB? Same type of metal perhaps, but totally different styles of playing. Come on.. Jari and Alexi? Pfft... Totally different. Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't really hear COB in alot of these bands, sure neoclassical riffs here, or just the attitude of COB (Yes Imperanon and some bands have vocals similar to Alexi.. But are they really that original? Besides me thinking they're awesome and the yaows are cool it's not such a big deal). Other than that most bands have more generic rhythm and perhaps some crazy leads or are solo driven. So I dunno.. Maybe it's jsut me like I said.

7. Hejira_Omeed

Hejira_Omeed Member

I like Kalmah and Imperanonm but I can understand why people call them Children Of Bodom rip offs, Imperanon more so than Kalmah. As for Wintersun, I think they kick ass and I dont think they're a Bodom rip off at all. They have the same kind of style that as Children of Bodom but they still sound original, to me at least.

8. Hrafn

Hrafn Vettenetter

Out of all those, Norther is definately my fave.

9. Midnightblueshade

Midnightblueshade Wanderer in darkness

10. spirit crusher

Jari>Alexi, in every technical and song writing aspect. Just my opinion. However, Jari is completely different.

11. HauknessX

HauknessX Member

jaris guitar tone makes his solos seem much smoother and u can hear every note perfectly, while alexi seems to have a lot of distortion and treble so it doesnt sound as good. i dont know who is better than who but they are both insane song writers for sure.

12. Deadman5hadow

Deadman5hadow Member

I just discovered a similar band which named Nothgard especially in their latest album : The sinner's Sake

13. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

All these bands, even Kalmah, Norther, Ensiferum and Wintersun, can't stand the heat when compared to COB. They didn't produce enough original material that was good, and had too much filler material. There's a reason why one of them excelled and others didn't. They're nice bands and all of them have great bits to them, but they don't sound dark enough and their records had too much crap in them. They're epic and satisfying warm-up bands for the true bands. And I won't even start with the aspiring new bands. With COB you can honestly hear there's wild creativity and richness of brutally honest material, they weren't born to play around, but to actually make great records. Having a few cool songs just isn't enough.

Of course, you'd think if absolutely shit bands like Megadeth became successful, why didn't they. Maybe it's because of producing original material. It's strange, but a trained ear can sense when a band isn't a source of dark art, but rather a lover of dark art that mimics others and maybe puts in a style of their own. The aspiring new bands however are just fans of real bands, trying desperately to come up with one cool melody or riff. It's cool to praise and love Kalmah, Norther, Ensiferum and Wintersun, but placing them above COB is a bit much.

#53 (__Joonas__), Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  14. (__Joonas__)

18:40 - whoo, metal's not dead.

This is quite similar to COB in a way.

#54 (__Joonas__), Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  15. Sany

Sany Member

Make sure to check out Gyze, they played also with Bodom ;)

16. mrKRB64

mrKRB64 Member

I've been listening to Imperanon again lately- wish they would have made another album :(

17. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

They did make a demo. Have you heard it? Imperanon 2006 demo should give some results on YouTube.

18. drawnacrol

drawnacrol 7Slinger

I saw Tracedawn wasn't mentioned, awesome Finnish band, they shook the Bodom sound in later albums but the debut had some heavily influence:

19. (__Joonas__)

I don't think they deserve to be mocked as copying COB, they have quite a distinct style. Nice keyboard solos! It's just... something's missing, despite all the effort. If only they improved the flow of song material it would be better. Also to decide what is the big riff and the big melody of this song.