This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SLS Studios build diary

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 8, 2007.

1. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

Late to the party again, I am blown away by the fact that you are getting those drum sounds with PG stuff. I should've bought those instead of blowing money on all my Audix D series stuff! :lol: Nah the Audix stuff sounds great, but I have a long way to go before developing the mixing skills that you've clearly demonstrated. That and the fact that you know your gear like the back of your hand.

Ty's kit is a Reference, correct...? I'm looking into buying a studio kit for my place but damn those Reference kits are expensive... I'd love to see what sort of sounds you could pull off with some PG mics and an Export! :lol:

2. MetGreen

MetGreen KFC Maniac!!!

In your situation, sound replacers FTW! :)

3. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

HAHA! Yeah, I can't say I ever got a great sound out of a cheaper kit, so sample reinforcement is the go for sure. TY kit just sounds awesome, though, no matter what you put in front of it, but having said that I'm getting a better sound here than what we pulled at Studios 301 and they had Uber top-of-the-line EVERYTHING there, so it really does come down to knowing the gear and understanding the instrument's tones at the end of the day, no matter what you're using.

I do have to say that the dynamics of the PG mics aren't as good as the more expensive ones - you have more room for error with better mics, especially with transients, so you either need to be exact with where you place them, the tuning of the gear or know how to manipulate the sounds after using compression or transient designers to get the sound you're after.

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

:BUMP: How much is SLS + its world famous sound engineer per day?

5. Lord Tim

Base rate is around $2000 a week but every project is different and shorter sessions are more expensive than longer ones, depending on my workload (which is dumb right now). :)

6. Arycama

Arycama Elitist Power Metal Poser

Just spent the last hour or so reading through the thread (I fell asleep at one point) and it was a very interesting read. I'm pretty sure I know where my band is going to be recording it's first album! (When we eventually are ready/have the money)

It looks so awesome.

7. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

:err:

8. Arycama

Arycama Elitist Power Metal Poser

Oh, not because it was boring, I was just tired.

9. Lord Tim

10. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

I just liked it from inside it.

11. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I Noticed a typo on the facebook page

'The WARROR Motion Picture Soundtrack'

12. Lord Tim

13. Kämpfer

Kämpfer New Metal Member

So, is this complete now or what?

14. Lord Tim

Nope. Been too busy using it to finish it. :err:

I've had an offer to finish the vocal booth off properly for free (well, free plus materials) which I'm considering, but since the studio is more or less doing the job now, albeit not as gracefully as it could be if it was 100% done, it's fairly low on the priority list, especially since I'm still paying the rest of it off and it's not impacting on the work at all.

For all intents and purposes, the studio is done and fully operational, though. I'll tidy up the loose ends one day. :)

15. Kämpfer

Kämpfer New Metal Member

haha, sounds good!

16. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

[​IMG]

17. Lord Tim

That's right. If you don't pay your bills I'll destroy your homeworld. :)

18. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Awesome to hear some updates.

If you recall, I decided to quit my business as an IT nerd and teach music. That's been happening for 6 months now and I'm experiencing a great deal of satisfaction and success from it. In fact, I've gone from driving around to peoples homes to something huge... I just returned home a couple of grand less off.... I just signed a lease in Revesby for my music school to open before Christmas.

This is not to scale, and may not even work. But I drew this going by memory a few weeks ago when I found the place.

[​IMG]

I just got the keys 30 minutes ago. w00t!

Fuck I love having customers that want to be there, not like my IT business where I'm called in but only as a last resort when everything's too fucked to fix but I'm expected to anyway. 8 years of that and the stress finally started to affect me.

Cheers
    pip

19. Lord Tim

A couple of things to consider.

First, is sound proofing gonna be an issue there? You may need to look into double glazing at least for the windows and on the drum room, maybe a double door system to stop the leakage through the entrance. Drum rooms are a serious pain in the ass - ideally you'd be building a separate room inside the drum room that doesn't touch the outside walls and that'll help heaps with isolation. The guitar rooms shouldn't be an issue if people keep the volume down a little.

Secondly, square rooms are fraught with problems with standing waves and resonance. Again, with the guitar rooms it shouldn't be an issue so long as there's either curtains on the walls, auralex foam, or enough soft furnishings/carpet in the rooms, but the drum room will need to have some corner baffles put up, a ceiling cloud and carpet put down. For a studio I wouldn't recommend making the room so dead but in this case I'd definitely suggest deadening the room as much as possible so you can keep the noise down for practicing. That won't do anything for sound leakage, mind you, but it'll help control the reflections when you're in there.

But yeah, otherwise it's very awesome! :)

20. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

Heya Tim,

Yeah, the plan doesn't go into those details, but the rooms will not be "square", the walls will be slightly skewed.

With regards to sound proofing, each room will have sound proofing so neighbouring shops aren't annoyed. With relation to the drum room, I was talking to a few people and the suggestion that came up was an electronic kit. But either way, the drums will come later, as it's only about 5% of my current business and most of my students learning percussion are learning on a Cajon, which I import into the country myself as a partnership with another person. But your thoughts are correct and I have considered them.

Deadening the sound will be minimal only because I want a little bit of reverb in the rooms. But there will be curtains and rugs to help greatly. I don't want it to sound like a bathroom. But like a normal living room in a house. I don't want studio quality deadness either because I want some life in the sounds being played and taught. It'll be a fine balance of trying out different layouts with the deadening pads to see what works.

Thanks for the tips though, it solidifies my plans I have written on paper. It's been scary and awesome, and now is just got more scary and awesome.

Cheers
    pip