This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Smooth distortion tone presence

Discussion in 'Production' started by deffpony, Jul 3, 2012.

1. deffpony

deffpony Member

So I have been able to get a very close Sturgis tone. The problem is the distortion on my tone retains too much fizz. Joeys tones have such a smooth overdriven presence and no matter how hard I try I can't get it close. Is it a matter of extra drastic eq because my eq is pretty intense. Or is it due to other post production techniques used by Joey.

2. CalumJC

CalumJC Member

fizz on pod farm tends to be at 4k. small q cut at that freq should do the trick, the rest is just to taste.

3. deffpony

deffpony Member

Yea I know, ive made cuts all over the place. But the thing im really asking here is if that tone can be attributed to really good eq'ing or if there is some kind of saturation smoothing or other post production technique

4. oz_golf

oz_golf Member

it's also depend on the guitar you're using and the pramp and interface... and importantly, the guitar both track left and right. I can get Joey sound in pod without cutting 4k when I have the right eq on both side and the bass blend up and pump in the middle.

5. timislegend

timislegend Member

i think the key to that tone is that you have to be joey.

he obviously wants to keep the more detailed techniques to himself, much like any successful artist. so i am sure -yes- there is probably some eq, some limiting and some other tricks.

maybe he uses a de-esser on his guitars to subdue the fizzy top end instead of q'ing it... who knows? all i know is, if i had a particular technique that made me more unique to other engineers (which i'm sure i do) i certainly wouldn't tell anyone how to replicate it.

6. Evilcleatus

Evilcleatus That's What She Said

My guess is a de-esser or it's done in mastering instead of on the individual gtr tracks

7. droppedrecords

droppedrecords New Metal Member

He definitely makes them sound tits when he does his mastering.

Joey sturgis mastering is what we should be hounding him about :)