This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

So, what song got you started into Katatonia?

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by Jester-Race, Feb 5, 2010.

1. einars

einars Walking by a wire

July. And I got into it because of similiar happenings in my life which also occured... wait for it... in the month of july.

2. Osiris' Eyes

Osiris' Eyes El Duderino

Instantly became a fan back in 1998 when I first heard Deadhouse...Discouraged Ones was just the beginning for me!!!

3. Grumble Grumble

Grumble Grumble We die We all...

DISPOSSESSION

I was heading back from a children of bodom show with my good friend Justin back in november of 2005, and he put on last fair deal gone down, i was surprised by the mellowness of this song. I ask him what this is he says "katatonia with a K" and here we are today, i have a katatonia tattoo, a drum stick a lot of cds/shirts/vinyls and what my friends say is "an unhealthy obsession" with them.

To this day i still lliterally get chills from the opening riff of that song, also its odd, it sounds so warm compared to everything else they've ever done. I've always found dispossession to be a different sounding song compared to their entire catalog.

4. Brensly

Brensly Member

Deliberation was the first song I heard, which made me search for more Katatonia songs. Sweet Nurse was the one that got me really hooked though :)

5. season1234

season1234 Member

Funeral Wedding, 1995. Got the CD through an underground metal mailorder in the USA, was looking for emotional & melodic doom/death after getting into My Dying Bride and Anathema a few years before. Been hooked ever since and have been amazed to see the band evolve and change so much over the years, I am so grateful for their music!

6. Ruun

Ruun German Scum

7. DarkGift

DarkGift ov Doom

i think it was brave. i only listened to BMD for a long time before i really got into their other albums.

8. Bleak Eyes

Bleak Eyes Irrelevant

Funeral Wedding is an absolute gem. In fact, I think I need to give that a listen now, haha.

9. GmT-Curwen

GmT-Curwen Wildhoney

Seven Screaming Souls, I picked first the whole DDoS :p
    But the song that clicked in my mind and made me a fan was In Silence Enshrined, which is still my favourite song.

10. ghost_of_the_dawn

ghost_of_the_dawn Electric InsomniA

the same as I ... it was dark enough to fell with !!!

11. the mourner13

In Silence Enshrined is really one hell of a piece!! I remember being a fan of this song for so long... Now I had to give it another listen:))

12. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

Hmm i'd have to say Leaders. I picked up TGCD on a whim and was hooked from then on.

13. Ace

Ace Member

My Twin/ I am Nothing

14. MadTinus

MadTinus Language enthusiast

I read about them. There was this reviewer (Wim Baelus) for Dutch Aardschok magazine who specialized in the darker more obscure genres. I would follow his advices often and discovered many bands thanks to him (Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced..). He described Katatonia in some reviews of other bands (linked them to Dissection, which I then was heavily into), the description of dark, doomy, Swedish and melodic really appealed to me, so as soon as I found the Jhva Elohim Meth... The Revival MCD in an Amsterdam record shop, I bought it, I bought DoDS soon after. Must have been 1993/1994, I was 17 or 18. I would always go to this record shop in Amsterdam for their extensive selection of obscure stuff, they carried what no other store carried, sadly this store had to close its doors a few years ago. I still own many cd's I bought there through the years..

15. hookman

hookman New Metal Member

Passing bird for me. Though I also heard criminals and ghost of the sun around the same time

16. OPETH_DT

OPETH_DT Member

I bought "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Brave Murder Day" at the same time back in 2001, because I had heard about the two styles and initially wanted to see how each one worked both on their own merit, and then going back and picking up on similarities, tone and vibe-wise. Since then, I've purchased every studio album and a few singles. I can't remember if a particular song stood out for me, because I liked how each album flowed.

17. desiredusername

Inside the City of Glass

18. Lisra

Lisra starlight spectre

That must have been an interesting journey, since they have no song that is anyway like it.

19. nechestriah

nechestriah New Metal Member

That sampler was the same one that got me into Katatonia in the first place... I didn't jump out of my chair the first time I heard it, but I liked the sound, and they have progressively grown on me ever since. I think around Tonight's Decision is when I really fell in love.

20. Kagunslinger

Kagunslinger New Metal Member

First song that got me into them was "without god". After that, I checked out the entire Dance of December souls album, and I was sold. Even though I am a fan of the entire discography, DODC is still my all time favorite.