This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SONIC FORGE FESTIVAL- July 14, Melbourne (feat. LORD!)

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Atheny, May 29, 2007.

1. AmonAmarth

AmonAmarth Member

Yeah I just saw the first three also. I didn't think the list was going to go in that order. I thought Lord were going to play earlier in the night. I had to leave and didn't get to see Lord. :cry:

2. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I didn't get to see any. HAHA!!

I was all ready to go, but then I pulled my back out again. :( Stupid gay body.

Well, I hope everyone had a good time. It would have been nice to see LORD, Anarion and Daysend, but there is always next time. Kudos to everyone who put this festival together, would have been nice to see atleast one band but I guess since my back is rooted I wouldn't be able to stand for a long period of time.

On a good note I got to spend time with my mate on his birthday and also got the new Eyefear album.

Cheers Daniel for getting my patch off LT, i'll grab it off you at the Screamers gig next month. Peace out, im gonna rub deep heat in my back and go to bed. :cry:

3. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Yeah, the patch is with me as I write.
    It was a bugger about Daysend not making it, I think alot of people would have stayed for them. I would have liked to see them too, I like to match hype to what I actually think about bands.
    I made some short comments throughout the night on the bands which I enjoyed (we decided that bands who were not that good, we would use as a chance to go outside and get some air/ food/ whatever). So here's my roundup:

First up were Leicohtica. I was looknig forward to seeing them perform after the things we'd heard on this forum. Unfortunately, due to a pretty average sound, alot of it was "lost in translation", ie, I don't think it came across that well live, and the vocals were pretty buried. The wall of guitars were muddy and we got an earfull of how great the drumemrs kick work was. A shame since later on when the CD was playing it sounded quite good.

I hadn't seen Be'lakor yet. Shame on me. They put on an enjoabe show, had fun and played some great songs. Their rhythm section was pretty solid, their melodies were In Flames-tastic while the keys added a nice touch. There wasn't anything I hadn't expected, but they play their chosen style well.

I'd seen Darkest Dawn supporting Testament (I think). This time around I liked what I heard more. Tight drumming, a driving rhythm section and an interesting use of a third guitarist. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoyed the music, the stage was way too overcorwded- three guitarists and two vocalists- a dude (who sang clean and growled) and a felmale who also sang clean and growled. Personal preference to their styles, I think they would be better off to stick to just the female. I look forward to seeing what they do in the future.

Oh- Moredhel! I'm now a fan. An unexpected surprise, they didn't sound that good based on their myspace clips, but live was a whole different story. Intense songwriting, no time wasted in "building the song"- just one killer riff after another. The vocals were once again lost in the mix, but the music carried the band well. I couldn't help but smile when the singer asked everyone to come forward, as they went into the next song lunging into a mosh in absolute unission. I thought the stage would topple haha! Can't wait for their next show.

Empyrean- simply put: not my thing. We went out for a break.

Next up, NeO. I was looking forward to this, another first time for me. Unfortunately, as with Leicohtica, their sound suffered alot during the heavier moments (possibly aided by the fact that I wasn't familiar with the material). On the plus side, the softer moments were great. Awsome atmosphere and captivating playing. Luckily, being NeO, this made up about 40% of the show, so not too much harm done.

Omnium- see Empyrean

I'd last seen Anarion in March, and I really think that they show what they're made of better with a 30 minute set than they do in a 2.5 hour set! They seem to have improved since March and really put energy into the songs where needed, though the majority of the spotlight goes to Rick (lead vox, lead guitar). Being a fan for a few years now, I was happy to hear an old song played, even though it was their last song for the night :p

Dreadnaught were suprisingly good. While their singers style is not entirely my cup of tea, I did get use to it and they put on a tight show and had some of the better sound going for them of all the bands on the night. Lots of energy, and their rock/ metal style was a nice break from the death thrash which dominated the early afternoon.

Five star prison cell intrigued me when I visited their myspace, but they seemed pretty different live. They lost my attention easily when I saw that the LORD merch stand was being put up :p

Terrorust- saw them with Nile. That was bad enough, but they seemed to pull alot of people. Good on them.

Can you guess which band has decades of experiance within it, has had the chance to support great international acts and know the meaning of "performing"?
    You got it, our very own LORD! Energetic, tight, and full of really bad jokes-
    "why've you all gone quiet? Someone call me a cunt or something"- LT
    I haven't smiled during a show that much in way too long. Can't wait for the return during their tour.

A great 12 hours of metal, and a good chance to have foudn some great bands, and finally catch up on others.
    The turnout faltered at times, but overall I think it would have been a success. Congrats to all involved!

4. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

If I'd known what you looked like (I've probably seen photos, but my memory...) I would have introduced myself, Nebulous. Oh well....

I had a massive Friday night out, so I was pretty fucked all day yesterday and couldn't bring myself to get out of the house until a couple of hours after I'd intended to. I'd wanted to to there for NeO, but, didn't make it until Anarion.

Anarion were good, as always. They seem to be going a bit heavier these days, as opposed to their leather and swords stuff that they did early on.

It was great to see Dreadnaught again for the first time in a couple of years. They've always been one of my favourite bands, and their set really did rock.

Five Star Prison Cell - not something I'd listen to very often, but good luck to them. They were better suited to this gig than the Arch Enemy support they did a couple of years back!

Terrorust - I'd probably like them more if I heard an album, as live the guitars were indistinct, and it seemed like a wall of noise at times.

Lord - excellent. One thing I'd kinda forgotten about, sorta, was the energy at Lord shows. I think that's one major reason (in addition to the music, of course) that I was so impressed when I first saw Dungeon 6 years ago. I'm very much looking forward to the show down here later in the year.

I didn't see anyone from the forum other than Goreripper until after the show, but it was nice to catch up with a few people briefly before I went home to recover!

5. Atheny

Atheny Member

First of all a huge thank you to LORD and all the other bands who performed at Sonic Forge Festival yesterday, and all the fans who came along!

It was obviously massively disappointing (and hugely stressful), to have Daysend forced to pull out at the last minute (we got confirmation that Wayne (Daysend Drummer) needed surgery and they definitely weren't coming about 1:15pm), but despite that, we were very happy with how things went overall. I had so many members of bands, and fans come up to me regarding at how great the day was; so that was fantastic to hear.

My highlight was definitely performing with NeO, and getting such a great response, and also just getting a chance to meet so many new people, help some bands get some more exposure, and once everything was taken care of....drink til the early hours... :)

6. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Oh man, I think you NeO blokes, along with Terrorust and Dreadnaught had the biggest turnout. It was a great thing to see at a local gig.

Winmar- you didn't happen to be wearing a LORD symbol shirt? I bought one at the gig and was wearing it for the evening part. Untill then I was in my Iced Earth "Stormrider" coverart shirt.
    I was actually abit dissapointed that Anarion didn't play more older stuff. It had a certain flair to it that the newer material doesn't.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

Be'lakor were awesome as usual, but unfortunately I can't really comment on much else (see Mawdyson's post) haha.

What was the final turnout like Tim? Was it what you were hoping for?

8. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

+1

Did anyone else spend way too much money last night? I managed to spend $150 on food, drinks a LORD shirt and chipping in for my mates parking at the Prince! I was still tempted to pick up some more merch :(

9. Coma1

Coma1 Member

So it was a huge success from me too, all us guys in Leicohtica had a ball.. sound issues aside we had good fun and then proceeded to run amok... We want to thkan everyone who came and watched us and we enjoyed it immensely...

My night was topped off by going back to the hotel after all the fantastic bands to get some sleep, only to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to a blinding flash to find Andy had been taking pictures of me and us other leicohticans while we where asleep. Bound to be some great shots there :headbang:

10. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

Speaking of which...

[​IMG]

I dont know how the hell I got in there. It was like a nazi fortress! Its all a little blurry anyway.

11. Coma1

Coma1 Member

dont forget i have a picture of you trying to 'pout' buddy :lol:

12. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Nah I was wearing an Alarum shirt with a jacket over the top. Hmmm I don't think I noticed a Lord symbol shirt, but then I didn't notice people who'd been there all evening until I was on the way out!

Yeah you're right, the newer Anarion stuff doesn't have the same flair. I like the heaviness of it, but they don't do as many solos etc now, or so it seems.

13. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Hm, can't say I remember any Alarum shirts. Maybe at the next LORD gig, though it wouldn't help you if I said that I was wearing my LORD shirt at that gig haha.

14. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Fuckk... whose idea was it to give me a bottle of JD as a rider? :erk: :ill:

Not doing too great now but had a pretty fun time, despite the freezing weather and smallish crowd.

I mentioned this to Atheny on the night that doing a fest is a fucking hard job to keep everyone happy with how it's all running. There's so much to consider from so many different angles and the one that affected us most was the sound on stage.

We had a pretty tough time of it. Obviously with fast change overs and borrowed gear, it's a bit of a crap-shoot as to what kind of sound we'll end up with and because it's a fest, there's so many different bands and not enough time to get anything prepared properly for each act, especially (ironically) the headliners at the end of the day.

I had really no foldback at all, TY's foldback was playing musical chairs with what he was actually hearing in there, my amp was too loud, Mark's was too woofy+bright so it sounded quiet even though it was actually louder than mine... lots of problems. The gear itself was top notch (and we very much appreciate the bands for letting us use it) but getting it to work with our gear is where the problem lies. So yeah, we did it fairly tough on stage because of that.

Glad you guys got into it, though! We did have a good time regardless and we'll definitely be back later in the year with a fresh set (yay!) and our own show. :)

Hope Wayne's doing OK too! Poor guy!

15. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

Wooo! Still drinking! :D

I enjoyed the night for the most part. There were a couple moments where I wasn't in the best of moods (and I apologise to those people who had to experience it) but overall I had a lot of fun.

Our stage sound was honestly awful, but as Tim said... given the circumstances, we did pretty well :)

A big cheers goes out to all you guys who came out to see us play as well as the legends from Terrorust and Five Star Prision Cell who lent us gear. Leicohtica who helped take care of the merch (when our 'designated' person/people just disappeared... <sarcasm> THANKS </sarcasm>), I honestly owe you guys a drink!

I saw most of the bands that played on the day. The biggest highlights for me were Leicohtica's syncronised headbanging, Emperian's huge sound (was VERY impressed! First time I'd seen those guys live...sober!), NeO (first live experience - very ambient! Loved it!), Dreadnaught who were tighter than...well... you know what, and Terrorust who as usual OWNED.

Great night and boy did I get slaughtered after!

Also, Chris.... it wasn't 3:30... it was around 5:30am ;) The only reason I know that is because we were booted from The Espy at 3:30am and we stumbled around St Kilda for a couple hours haha.

Lastly, a big thanks to Atheny who put the show on! Although there were a few bumps along the way, you did well considering it was the first show of that type. Thank you :)

16. Jet City Woman

Jet City Woman The Drumming Monkey

Hope you all had a great time! Sorry I couldn't be there

Hopefully see LORD in Sept/Oct if all goes to plan...

17. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

So, anyone going to post up a setlist?

18. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

LORD setlist was the usual fare:

Resurrection
    Steelheart
    Insanity's Fall
    Footsteps In The Sand
    The Legend Of Huma
    The Richest Man
    Guitar Duel
    Lost In The Light
    Various drum and bass solos
    I Am Death

We're as bored with that set as you guys are, though, so expect some new stuff later in the year. :)

19. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

I had a damn good day, bit pissed at the security guards, though they were only doing their jobs.

Wish i'd had more money, would have liked to buy some more stuff, including beer.

The end of the night was a disaster. haha, Daniel - i got stuck with no way home till about 4am when dad ended up picking me up after I had been kicked out of three cabs and missed a nightrider.

good thing dad was still awake, he was at a few other gigs.

Really enjoyed leichotica, even though i couldn't hear them that well, Be'Lakor were amazing, NeO were amazing, even though I hardly know the songs, i was surprised at Mordhel, they were sweet, Empyrean were pretty damn good, Anarion were like always, entertaining and of course, Lord was awesome.

Good to meet (finally) Pethical and Hubster, also Rob, i spoke to at the very end.
    It was also good to catch up with Dan and his mate and various other people i spoke to and saw.

20. mawdyson

mawdyson Member

I liked Leicohtica too. Awesome to see some more sevenstring bands around. Their singer is sending me a free album this week. :headbang: