This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Standout bass lines in Opeth

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Slunk, Apr 17, 2009.

1. The Wooden Doors

The Wooden Doors Cloak of Autumn Shroud

So true. Advent's bass work as well as the rest of Morningrise slays all the rest.

2. sotua

sotua Member

Surely you don't mean the section between 9:30 and 9:50, do you?

Because that's kinda... easy, y'know? As in "sounds cool, but not really challenging to any competent rock bassist". I wouldn't even rate it a solo, call it a busy bass line instead.

(other than that, DeFarfalla keeps it together and has a pretty nice tone that cuts through the guitars. Me likey)

3. Heir Apparent

Heir Apparent Member

Absolutely, one of my favorite bass moments in any opeth song. Actually all of Ghost Reveries is exceptional. I feel sorry for people say they can't hear Martin's play, because its fantastic on just about every song. You need to learn to focus in on just his bass tone, try listening to a record only listening for martin's playing. Its a nice experience. Either that or get nicer headphones!

4. Slaydon

Slaydon Member

Have you played it yourself?? If not then don't say it's easy. It's not just the licks, it's the musical complexity to it also. Btw, I also love Mendez's lines in "Harvest". I think the bass never sounded better there! And in Windowpane.:headbang:

5. sotua

sotua Member

It's my opinion, based on my experience after 15 years of amateur bass playing. These days between my job and my family (wife + toddler :) ) I have very little time for bass, but I'll see if I can dust it off (it literally has dust :( ) and try to figure out the part myself to see if I have to retract my previous statement. If I'm satisfied with my efforts, I might even record it and post it (for the whole forum to laugh at :D )

Completely agree. I love Mendez's playing on Damnation... I think I'm lucky I met Opeth when I was older and over the "ZOMG THAT'S SUPER FAST THAT MEANS ITZ GOOOOOOOD" prejudices of my youth, so I could fully appreciate Martin's playing. Love his lines in Ghost Reveries too, and the nasal tone of the bridge pickup fits surprisingly well with the music (I usually had very bad results with using just the bridge pickup in a metal context, however I never was professionally recorded ;) )

6. firewindraging

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bass lines in Ending Credits...... so damn groovy. Also I love the bass fills at the end heavy part in The Baying of the Hounds. There's SO many songs to choose from since they've usually been good about recording the bass so it's easy to hear.

7. Slaydon

Slaydon Member

Well, we both said entire Damnation, so that pretty much covers it.;)

8. sotua

sotua Member

Ok, this fine saturday afternoon both the wife and the baby where asleep (and I wasn't, a minor miracle :)) so I gave it a try.

http://mp3upload.ca/files/12947/advent

(click on "Listen" to stream it without downloading)

I hope you'll forgive my poor intonation (keeping good fretless skills requires constant practice, which requires a lot of time, which I sure as hell don't have), but the idea is there.

I will then stand by my claim that it's easy (since I can play a passable version of it after ten minutes, and I hadn't touched the bass in several months), and also I'll go further and say that there's not a lot of complexity involved there - walking up and down a few notes from a scale.

It still does, however, sound cool :headbang:

9. Ninfix

Ninfix Gamer of life

7:10 on Under The Weeping Moon

10. To rid you disease

^

thats a horrible bass riff imo.

11. Slaydon

Slaydon Member

Almost, but not quite.;) The original part is a little faster. So, you haven't really proven that it is easy to play that, technically. Whatever the truth, it is first and foremost a cool bass part.:headbang:

12. Ninfix

Ninfix Gamer of life

I think it's very cool. It's kinda creepy, 'cause it's so ugly :headbang:

13. sotua

sotua Member

Of course "not quite" (as I was the first to admit :) ) but if a less-than-weekend warrior like me can produce a passable facsimile of it, I'm sure someone who actually practices daily (as in a real rock bass player) can nail it without much effort.

All in all, the only thing we've proven is that it's damn cool :headbang:

14. MoonlightOrchid

MoonlightOrchid Bi-product

The song from my siggy :Spin:

15. NicholasDWolfwood

personally, considering the guy hasn't played in a long time, he played it pretty nicely. a few bpm slow, maybe - I haven't got the cd with me to compare. and a bit sloppy, maybe, since fretless intonation is a bitch is get back into after not touching it. but it's really not a hard part.