This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Studio Pass: Kurt Ballou - Free 2-day course [Live Streaming Now!]

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by jipchen, Feb 3, 2014.

1. jipchen

jipchen ForesterStudio

It's been pretty interesting so far and I'll most probably buy it. His thoughts on interacting with clients etc were great. The stream fucks up every 2-3 minutes for me so I'm annoyed like hell but the content is great
    It's live streaming now and (I think) tomorrow.
    http://www.creativelive.com/live2

2. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

This is really interesting. I wish he knew his PT shortcuts though. It's setting off my OCD watching him click around to zoom.

3. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

i have these two days off so i'm checking this out. so far this first day has been pretty basic, but that's what i expected.

4. Seizure.

Seizure. Member

I love how eyal straight went to drum programming and he actually talks about helping out people to play better...

5. ecz

ecz Member

That's not true, Eyal spent one whole day on drum recording before he started talking about programming. You just can't compare them both as they aim for a totally different end product.

I have to say I enjoyed both lessons (Eyal Levi and Kurt Ballou) very much and I don't understand all the negative comments. It's free and you get a lot of useful information.

6. Sweetnothing

Sweetnothing ¯\(º_o)/¯

Seen both of them ( eyal levi and ballou) and well, different approaches. While Levi's one felt really rushed, this one lacked some beef to it, although I loved the overhead mic technique shootout.
    Hope it gets better tomorrow though. I have the feeling that the two trailers they put out are most of the action we'll see but I hope to be wrong.

7. Seizure.

Seizure. Member

i meant on the introduction. it was basicly said, its either the drummer cant play or we program.

that being said, the end product they shoot for does make it for both easier to say the things they say, and kurts opinion matters more to me, but i do feel its a problem people are teaching other people to resort to programming instead of going more in depth on how to actually help the person thats paying you to record to perform the best. which is what you should do as a producer.

And no hating on anything i think the whole concept is awesome. I loved this!

8. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I don't see many negative comments so maybe I should clarify that I thought what I caught of this was a great and really thoughtful presentation. My PT dig was as much about making fun of myself as him.

9. AzzaDutt

AzzaDutt Member

Been watching this all today. Unfortunately my stream died when he was talking about duplicating the edited tom tracks and EQing them differently. Any chance anyone watched it and could fill me in?

10. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

He high pass the tom track and low pass the mult, then use a longer fade for the mult to keep resonnance natural while supressing most of the cymbal bleed harshness.

11. Studdy

Studdy Member

He split the tom tracks by duplicating them and putting a lo pass on the one and a hipass on the other. This way he could extend the lo, resonance of the toms without the brutal cymbal bleed.

12. The StabbinCabin

Dude my phone literally froze every single time he was going to follow up on something I was curious to know. "Okay so I have a clip here *CLICK*" and yeah hahaha

I missed most of the drum processing part today. I also missed his thing with the HM-2 alternatives.

13. The StabbinCabin

Just got a call that my grandma is in the ICU with internal bleeding- doesn't look good. If anyone could take the time afterwards to post any interesting pointers he may give, that would be appreciated.

14. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

He specifically stated yesterday that he is going to focus on NOT using samples.

15. AzzaDutt

AzzaDutt Member

Thanks both of you. That's actually a really neat idea, I'd never thought of doing that.

I'm really loving that N22 on guitars, it sounds fairly close to how I usually want my guitars sitting post EQ in the mix.

A lot of the stuff he's been talking about are pretty basic, but I've still picked up a few little bits like that tom trick which are useful.

I'll try and post up a few of the pointers I liked after it's done.

16. miguelrx10d

miguelrx10d Axe Addicted

I've always hated that SC shit on bass and kick, now I have to try it again damn it Kurt

17. joelplagues

joelplagues Member

The HM2 alternative is Enormous Door LHP(left hand path). I don't remember the other one he said though.

18. ~BURNY~

~BURNY~ Member

I used it as recently as last week. It doesn't always work for every kind of music but when it does it's great.

19. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

arion metal master

20. Sweetnothing

Sweetnothing ¯\(º_o)/¯

Enjoying it a lot today, however, if those are raw mixes I'd better dedicate my time on any other thing :p