This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stupid Questions - and things you were afraid to ask

Discussion in 'LORD' started by pipsqeek, May 19, 2006.

1. Bucko

Bucko Member

Snap, that what we did Mick, my eldest boy Zac, took the memory card out and loaded the pics onto his Pc and he burnt them to disc, have'nt tried to upload them to my Pc yet ... cheers

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

There might be vista drivers downloadable from the Nikon website...

3. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Normally on the few close-up looks ive taken at a sport muffler/tip on a car, you can see the weld between the tip and the muffler. Usually on a brand-spanker it is chrome. On mine (which aint all that new or old) its black and rough. It looks to me like it is corroded, but when i run my finger along it, no debris comes off... Is this just a different form of welding that is done on parts that arent so visible?

And also, is there anything i have to be careful of using to clean heavily tinted windows? Windex is ok, right?

4. Toby

Toby Cheesegrater Of Chastity

Are you talking about the weld itself? Cause exhaust gasses might react with or diffuse into anything it's directly in contact with, but I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about there.

5. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Can't tell but it may have been re-welded? I wouldn't worry about it. Put some detergent around it, get someone to start the car and block the exhaust, you will see bubbles if there are any holes.

I don't think anyone will pick you up on it until the holes become visible.

s

6. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I think in that price range ARIA guitars are fairly nice.

I think Takemine guitars in that range aren't good. Basically head down to large music shop that sells everything under the sun, try all the guitars out until you find one you like.

I spent a couple of years looking for my next guitar. Until I found it a couple of years ago. When you find the one that feels right, you'll know.

7. Rick

Rick Senior User

Not hugely worried about the perfect sound at the moment - just really want to get into some steel string acoustic work rather than Nylon or Electric. Just want something decent mid range.

8. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Yea, the weld area itself.
    Will try the bubbles - was just thinking it may 'drop-off' as i go over a speed hump or something.

9. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I wouldn't worry about it, I doubt it would drop off over a speed hump unless most of the circumference was visible holes.

s

10. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Any tips on how to get out of a parking ticket? All the info on the ticket looks right and I was overparked by 20 whole minutes, so I think I'm fucked.

11. Rick

Rick Senior User

If only the inspector had of written something like "Location: Narnia".

12. JonBonJovi

JonBonJovi Titilate

That reminds me I need to write a letter about one I got at the Botanic Gardens. The inspector did not see me sitting in the back seat feeding Jaedyn. I jumped out with bubs attatched to me just a tad too late.

13. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You can appeal if you think you have a valid reason.

If you have a spotless driving record for 10 years and you get booked you can appeal and they will let you off - guaranteed! It is a rule very few people know about but I think it may also depend on the severity, I doubt they'd let you off if you were involved in a high speed car chase. I also doubt the same with DUI. I don't know if the same rule applies to parking offences.

s

14. Fester

Fester Member

Hey, a pretty basic question here, do people have strategies for... not wasting time?
    I'm studying, in year 12 right now, and yes, I know workloads in the future will be a LOT harder, but i was just wondering, how do people deal with like, completing work they really don't want to do, but KNOW they have to? In other words, how to stay focused and motivated? I know there are no 'magical secrets' and hopefully the reply to this isn't something like "stop posting on Metal forums. Aren't I great, pointing out the obvious?" Because I know that it's somewhat wasteful when you have things that need to be done. I am trying to memorise 1500 words or so in Italian for oral exam next week, and I am just having trouble staying attached to it. Even if i've removed distractions such as the internet and other things, I will try to get learning but my mind will venture off and start thinking about other things when I'm trying to learn...

hm, maybe the question isn't so simple now that i've explained it in a paragraph... but hopefully some people on this forum could shed some light on this topic?

15. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I know what you mean. I had the same problems at Uni. The only way I survived was:

1. Remove all distractions- even parents or siblings passing by
    2. TV is a no-no but music is usually ok and it helps blot out any other noises which may distract
    3. Start all assignments asap- don't wait until a week to deadline because unexpected shit will bite your ass. I used to do this and be at distinction by exam time- but never studied for the exams so I wound up with passes or credits
    4. If your limbs ache with frustration and boredom but you still have to keep going try some short hard exercise like sit-ups or push-ups for a minute or two. I used to use weights too. Some people run but I found it creates too much sweat and takes too long. You need short, intense workouts.
    5. If the problem is that you can't even get started I don't have a cure for that one. As you said this won't be the hardest thing you have to get through- see what I say below about setting smaller goals.
    6. For memorising your Itallian, write 'em all out on paper again and again every chance you get- on the bog, on the bus, when you are having breakfast- morning is better. Try to write each pair or set with conviction and pause for 5 seconds or so between them, don't skim through them all each time. Its bleeding tedious but a good example of the kind of shit you do to cram before a major exam. 1500 words is probably too much for a last minute cram so you need your week.
    7. Set a goal to write them out a certain number of times a day and stick to it. Just like weight training, try and push yourself to do more and more as you go along.

I say write rather than read because when you write the information MUST pass through your brain- when you read you can skip stuff or your attention can wander.

Hope that helps!

16. Fester

Fester Member

Thanks a lot man, yeah it helps quite a lot, some strategies to try. I've already started, memorising it, i've got a good amoutn done, it's just I'd found I'd hit a 'limit' with learning one or 2 sections of it today (divided up into about 8), and when I tried to learn more, i just couldn't even begin to start reading it...

Music is a bit iffy for me. I have a problem where i just start to 'analyse' it, especially something like metal, I can't let it just go in the background, i'll be working out how to play the riff... It works sometimes, with music that fits a bit better into a background, say Porcupine Tree, where there's no kind of "obvious" and "apparent" melodies, rhythms and progressions if you know what I mean. And it's better than distractions for sure... but yeah metal is usually out for me. But I know this, and i know to just switch the metal off when i'm not focusing, so it's not an issue really.

17. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

^ +1 on the music thing... If I'm trying to concentrate on something and some music is playing, I'm subconsciously pulling the production apart, learning the relative note relationships, processing the lyrics, etc. I can't just listen to anything and it drives me absolutely fucking mental, so having it on as a background thing is asking for trouble for me!

18. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I'm learning a couple of languages at the moment, and I find it useful to go sit somewhere with nothing else around (tv, computer etc) like my bed or at a table. For your oral exam practice, try just jotting down a few of the topics you'll be talking about as prompts and see what you're able to recite to yourself without reading off a script.

I'd better go back to finishing off this assignment I'm doing. :)

19. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

the trick to memorising things is to associate it to something you know.

A hundred years ago a friend asked me to memorise an address - 86 Brougham Street - Maxwell Smart is agent 86 so I pictured him behind the wheel of a Brougham (Holden car). I have absolutely no use for this address (I didn't even at the time) but I still have it in my memory - AND I REALLY WISH I COULD GET RID OF IT!!!!! lol.

So create images from the words you have to learn and you will find they will stick in your memory.

As for you studying, organise a timetable in one hour blocks - just like at school, study for 45-50 minutes then take a break. Reward yourself at the end of the day - half hour of music, TV, etc. to wind down. Try not to go to bed with a head full.

If you have never exercised don't take it up during cramming it will be a distraction and could cause sleep disturbances as your body will be getting used to it. If you do exercise don't give it up either, maintain regularity.

I remember reading about vitamin supplements that may help, dunno if they work but stick to a good diet and sleep well.

s

20. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

This doesn't work for everyone. I hate associations. Then I have to remember what the association was in order for me to remember the actual fact. For me, I'd rather just remember the fact.

But I can see how this could work with people who work that way.

pips