This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Summing to Mono = Horrible guitars

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Melodeath, Mar 8, 2010.

1. danimoraniz

danimoraniz New Metal Member

I agree with you my friend! And I know it depends on the song itself but there might be some similarities or tricks we could replicate.. that's my point with that video.

2. danimoraniz

Totally true! I did that M/S listening and in fact there's just guitars, fx and cymbals... but the bands I'm referencing (korn, Deftones, POD, SOAD and Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory) has the same guitar volumes on M/S fields and translates AMAZING to mono, guitars still sounds powerfull.. hence I'm guessing they used something similar to the video I posted before. Or they spread guitars in another way. I'm pretty newbie and I am searching this around internet but I can't find a specific solution.. and thank you for your help!

3. C_F_H_13

C_F_H_13 Protools Guru

I can tell you there's nothing special going on in some of those records except for mono instances of the same part in the mid channel, or really careful tones choices that stack well. Some of it is also because the guitars are rarely panned all the way wide on a lot of those records.

I worked with Korn pretty closely on and off from 2004-2007, and was pretty intimately involved with one of the albums right through to mastering. There is no studio trickery, there's no widening at all, or anything special in the mixes. It's literally just tone choices, and balancing. Terry Date literally just did console EQ / console compression, and balance. See You On The Other side in particular was all mixed analog on a console.

danimoraniz likes this.
  4. danimoraniz

Wow! That's impressive brother! I will also search up about the mono instances for the mid channel you're talking about.

So.. what pan setup do you recommend for guitars? I see a lot of new producers talking about 100 - 100. I did that and it lead me to this thread..Then I also find out my pan law was -6 and when I changed it to -3 it got a little bit better.

5. C_F_H_13

C_F_H_13 Protools Guru

This is also something to consider

danimoraniz likes this.
  6. Paulie!

Paulie! ¯\(°_o)/¯ How Do Trigger?

Just to add my opinion, I mix in mono 90% of the time. Mainly because it's 2021.. and a lot of people consume music via blue tooth speakers. I still pan in the stereo field, I just get my balance together in mono. I get my kick snare bass and vocals at a level I like, then push my guitars until they're ALMOST too loud in mono. Flip to stereo and they're usually just about right. Granted, I don't do this professionally so YMMV. But from everything I've researched over the last few years, the general consensus is mix in mono first.

danimoraniz likes this.
  7. danimoraniz

Yeah that's pretty much how I'm thinking these days.. I like your approach, thanks! I'm just a little confused on how much the guitars are suposed to be panned. On youtube some say hard pan is the way to a wider mix but then they sound very quiet in mono.