This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Superior Drummer 2.0 Help

Discussion in 'Backline' started by User-42, May 12, 2016.

1. User-42

User-42 Title unavailable

I have been a long time user of Steven Slate Drums and have recently purchased Superior Drummer for a change. When i load up a kit and click a part (e.g snare) the sound is at full velocity and sounds great, i am clicking my velocities in at 110-115 but they don't have the same punch/smack as clicking the kit in SD. What velocities do you use, am i overlooking/missing something?

Would very much appreciate the help from all the SD wizards here

2. johnny ForTiorI

clicking the drums in SD plays them back at 127, the maximum velocity value. so 110-115 will be a softer hit.

3. User-42

User-42 Title unavailable

Yeah I thought so, so what would be the good number to set velocities? Would it be just whatever the track requires? Coming from SSD 4.0 I would just set everything around 100-115 and adjust for fills/swells etc. Seems like there is a bigger difference is sound with velocities in SD 2.0

4. Christian WUFU

Toontrack definitely seems to have more expressive range with the dynamics than SSD. For Metal I like to keep everything around 116-121 with anything higher being for rimshots, super hard hits, etc. Obviously for fills, blast beats and things of that nature the number is lower.

5. AugmentRecordings

AugmentRecordings Luc Chiasson (Merkaba)

My personal preference
    Hard hits: 125 and up
    Fills and blasts: 110-120
    Everything below for more expressive and dynamic playing (i.e. ghost notes, softer parts of a song)

The great part about toontrack is they include a ton of multisamples so despite the velocity the hits vary giving it a more organic sound. If you feel the hits are too soft the best way is to reinforce them with other samples like you would with a real drummer situation. I find Slate drums to be more geared toward sample reinforcement as I'm sure you've discovered