This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Survey: which way do you lean on each political issue?

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by zabu of nΩd, Sep 13, 2008.

1. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Proceed to Ultraslamming

This made me laugh a lot.

As usual I agree with everything Dodens said. I'm glad it was him not me fielding that argument because I'm a little fuzzier when arguing about economic things. I don't have too much more to add, but I just urge the people against "the forced redistribution of wealth" whether making everything fair and free (this isn't possible in reality but just pretend) is more important than alleviating people's suffering.

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Impossible, though not a horrible idea. It would really tricky how to go about doing that. Would the government take certain amounts based on income or take a the same amount from everyone who makes over set wage?

3. waif

waif Member

I'm not saying capitalism sucks or anything. But really, money does not trickle down in any significant way. Contrary to popular belief, rich people don't go around blowing massive wads of cash. Instead, the people who sit at the top of the corporate food chain continue collecting part of the money spent by the lower classes and sticking it away. This is why the top 1% controls 40% of the wealth (trusting Dodens' numbers, if not quite accurate they're more or less accurate). And so vastly more money trickles up than down. Can we agree on this?
    So, if you tax the rich and put that money into social programs that help the poor, only then does the money "trickle down"

4. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

Uh in case you hadn't noticed we've been talking about tax policy for a while now.

5. cookiecutter

As far as I know supply side economics has never been shown to benefit the majority of people. I'm a little fuzzy on all this stuff though.

6. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

I don't really consider what happens now to be forceful redistribution of wealth. Something like saying someone has a house that is too big, so they are mandating that they have to let other people live with them is forceful redistribution of wealth. Though, I don't think having 70% tax rates are beneficial either.

7. cookiecutter

I wasn't aware either of those things was being discussed. Strawman perhaps

8. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

Redistribution of wealth was. Taxing at 70% wasn't

9. cookiecutter

Yeah, but you were using the term redistribution to refer to what we were discussing (higher taxes on the rich) and then you were talking about it meaning bullshit house sharing or whatever you said.

10. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

here's my opinions on issues

HEALTHCARE
    guy named Bill breaks his arm and gets an x-ray, 2nd guy named Bill breaks his arm and gets an x-ray, and the 2 x-rays are indistinguishable
    identical injuries get identical medical treatment, period, even if one guy named Bill is Bill Gates and the other guy named Bill is broke
    worry about who pays for it on the back end, even if it means Bill Gates goes from being the richest guy in the world to being the 10th richest guy in the world

TAXATION AND BUDGET DEFICIT
    get rid of the "budget deficit" by hiking taxes on the richest 1 percent
    hike taxes on the richest 10 percent high enough to lower taxes on the lowest 20 percent

ARAB / ISRAELI / IRAQ / IRAN
    get all Americans completely totally out of the Middle-East and get to the point where America can just say "The Middle-East is not our problem anymore, we're not involved anymore"

ABORTION
    i still believe in Mandatory Abortion

GUN CONTROL
    make all school teachers required to be armed, so that the teachers could just shoot the mass-shooter so that the mass-school-shootings become impossible

EDUCATION
    nationally standardize education so that every kindergarten class in the entire country has the exact same same curriculum, every 1st grade class every 2nd grade class, every 3rd grade class, has the exact same curriculum for the entire fucking country
    the curriculum differences between one state and another are weirdly vast, the different states learning completely totally different things and its weird and stupid and detrimental to the students

11. MasterpieceMesias

MasterpieceMesias Professional Asshole

Coming from someone who's staunchly pro-2nd amendment, arming teachers probably wouldn't do what you think it'd do. Considering how many underpaid, stressed and overworked teachers there are in America, it would only be a matter of time before one of them IS the mass shooter.

You laugh, but weirder shit has happened here in the US of A

zerostatic likes this.
  12. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

Ahhhhh, thanks to blurry for this nostalgic glimpse into the past, a mildly embarrassing window of time when, in my political adolescence, I thought libertarianism was the pinnacle of intellectualism. Oh young Ein, there's so much I wish I could tell you.

CiG likes this.
  13. no country for old wainds

i thought i'd be embarrassed by my posts here too, but i'm actually very happy with my contributions.

MasterpieceMesias likes this.
  14. MasterpieceMesias

MasterpieceMesias Professional Asshole

Personally, I'm a huge proponent of Cheeseburgerism, but that's just me. I cannot speak for anyone else

15. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Exactly. Maybe such an environment would encourage more kids to bring weapons to school themselves. Plus, half the time surely the mass shooter would happen to be more coordinated than the teacher and thus win the gun battle. Always enjoy another cooked take from our resident meth addict though.

16. CiG

CiG Meat Pie or Die

17. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

now that i'm actually thinking about it
    even without implementing my idea of arming the teachers
    it's really is just a matter of time before a teacher becomes the school shooter
    just to be completely clear, i'm specifically referring to fucked up country that has these crazy things
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fried+beer
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=deep+fried+jello
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fried+ice+cream