This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

SX new album update

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Phanto, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

From the update thread (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...news-updated-14-jul-update-new-cd-more-3.html)
    "A little bit of everything" could be good.

2. EyeballKid

EyeballKid Shyamalan'd

As long that little bit includes some songs with quiet passages, keyboard interplay, and lyrics that don't demand to be shouted by "bastards", I'm in!

3. Durakonis

Durakonis Zudviz

I always like or love the band's compositions and how they perform them for the albums. I guess they'll never disappoint me on that regard. Hopefully I'll love the sound of the upcoming album, just as i did in Iconoclast. I'll expect to hear a sound in the vein of Iconoclast, but also something surprising and fresh.

4. UnholyCrusada

UnholyCrusada Member

If it's really going to be diverse, then I'm all for it. I don't mind the newer approach as much as some people here seem to, but an entire album's worth of it gets dull fast. And really, at the end of the day Iconoclast just sounded like Paradise Lost again but with a different theme and worse lyrics.

Also, I remember Romeo said way back that for the next album they were considering perhaps doing another 20+ minute epic, so fingers crossed for that.

5. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I'm looking forward to a little bit of bluegrass and a little bit of ambient black metal.

6. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

Sounds great, wow I can't believe it's been 12 years already since they released a record.

There were a couple things on The Odyssey that worried me but it sounds like they'll be getting back to that classic sound now!

7. Durakonis

Durakonis Zudviz

Wow, this is strange. My understanding of the "sound" thing is totally different i guess. Do you like the keyboard solo tones in TDWOT? Or the drum tone on The Odyssey? When it comes to the sound, i look to the overall effect of it on me. The classic SX albums are more appealing to me also, but not soundwise.

8. AsoTamaki

AsoTamaki Member

Awesome! I'm pretty excited about the fan club CD. There was nothing from Twilight or V on the last one so hopefully, there's some stuff from those days still to be heard. Can you imagine how amazing it will be to finally hear "new" music from the "real" SX even if it's just demos with alternate verses and choruses? Man...

As for the new album, I guess it's cool to hear an update. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that it would be this far along. Looks like 2015 could happen after all. Not gonna pay any mind to that "little bit of everything" quote though. Could easily just mean that in addition to the Iconoclast style "progressive" metal, there's a ballad similar to "The Sacrifice" and an epic orchestral piece like "Oculus". We shall see...

9. donKyle

donKyle Member

Not gonna get my hopes up, but we'll see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few more years lol

10. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

Agreed on the "little bit of everything," that's just one of those idiotic things bands say, like "this is our best album yet," "we're returning to our roots on this one," or "this one's heavier," it means absolutely nothing.

It'll be shit, hahahahahahaah

11. donKyle

donKyle Member

I could see them doing a little bluegrass, but i highly doubt it would actually happen. The ambient black metal would be pretty cool, but I don't think Russ has the chops to be a vocalist during something like that, so it'd probably have to be instrumental. And with the way the production quality has been on the past few albums, idk if it would even sound good

12. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I was kidding. But it'd be better than another album like Iconoclast.

13. uhhhhmmmm4

uhhhhmmmm4 Jesus Machine

It really better not be. How do we get ahold of the fanclub cds?

14. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

join the club, I gather.

15. Liampie

Liampie Member

Sadly I agree with this... I refuse to get overly excited about anything but the actual music. I'm really glad that there's some news on the band and that there's a new album coming, whether it be a decent album or another PL/Iconoclast. I expected them to take a few more years.

16. LavagesOfTime

LavagesOfTime evangelist of Threshold

That's very true, the latest albums sound way much better than the previous. Iconoclast and Paradise Lost have little diversity in keyboards sounds, but the production is totally on another level (drums and guitars in particular).

With this said, the "little bit of everything" makes me think of Paradise Lost, that album actually had it.

17. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

PL and IC are crushed so heavily in the dynamics that they're nearly unlistenable to me.

18. Durakonis

Durakonis Zudviz

I wouldn't put PL and IC in the same category personally. As LavagesOfTime put it, PL is a self-inspirational album, that is very much inspired from SX's former catalog. I don't listen to it very much either. But Iconoclast is way more inventive. Its sound production is much more intense and clean. I like TDWOT and V's compositions way better, but i prefer the band to sort of follow IC's sound character. If all the compositions had been as epic and metal as the song Iconoclast, the album would be an epic legend now IMO.

19. manticore999

manticore999 Member

I'll be thrilled if Russ just goes back to actually singing, instead of the 'gruff vocals' or whatever the hell it's called. 2 albums of that got really old after the 2nd song. I'd like more symphonic passages too. You know, like when they were 'Symphony' X.

20. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

agreed. There are far too many metalcore bands already, and none of them are doing anything gutsy.