This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Symphony X > Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Victory is mine, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victory is mine

Victory is mine New Metal Member

I've noticed that a fair few people on this forum appear to think that Dream Theater are even in the same league as Symphony X, let alone (God forbid) better! I think that Dream Theater are in fact very talented musicians, it's just that everything they can do, someone from Symphony X can do better...

Petrucci's a good guitarist but i can't help feeling that they've gone downhill slightly in Train of Thought from the days of Scenes from a Memory and 6 Degrees. It's just unecessarily heavy and all the songs are very similar and a chore to listen to. Plus their name's spelt the wrong way.

2. karelrulez

karelrulez Member

Well.. back to the old tradition, Symphony X vs Dream Theater!

I like both bands almost equal. But Symphony X stands out to me because of Russell Allen. I can listen to them live without worrying if Russell can hit the high notes. LaBrie really makes me cringe when I hear DT live. That said, I think Dream Theater is more diverse, some really nice groovy parts or even some bluesy solo's by Petrucci always works for me.

3. soundgarden

soundgarden I know how to be cool !

Lately I have been listening to Dream Theater less and less. I would still put Petrucci in the same league as Romeo though.

I did not like Train of Thought that much either.

4. Jeremy Krull

Jeremy Krull Destroyer of the C-List

this is a no-contest.

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Member

Duh.

6. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

i'd say they're equal, but thats my opinion

7. Ayreon Guardian X

Ayreon Guardian X Ultimate Metal Lurker

In the Vallenwood tree-houses of Solace, on the pl
    I'd say that they are both awesome in their own right...and I'd also say that they don't sound very much alike, besides both being very complex metal....I also tend to like Russell more than Labrie, but Labrie is a good singer, no doubt about it! Awake and anything from Scenes to present-day is good, if not spectacular (Train of Thought goes a little bit overkill on the heaviness...).....all in all, both are excellent bands, but I tend to prefer Symphony X!

8. Rose Immortal

Rose Immortal Spirit of Hope

I kinda have to go musician-by-musician for this one.

Russell Allen v. James LaBrie I know a lot of people disagree here, but I like both voices about as much as each other, even though they're totally different. Allen is easily one of the most versatile, talented vocalists I've ever heard, and he does it without losing the emotive aspect of singing. LaBrie I like for different reasons--his voice is very unusual, and in a lot of ways easier for me to sing along with. (Although too much of that snarling from Awake hurts my throat! For an example of that, see the Bands/Projects thread. ;) ) However, having never heard either band live I can't say anything about how they each do in concert.

Michael Romeo v. John Petrucci: Tough call. On one hand, Romeo is clearly the faster, cleverer player...on the other, I have not heard as much acoustic work out of him as I have from Petrucci, and I wish I did. Ultimately I think Romeo is better just slightly, but Petrucci has his high points, too.

John Myung v. Thomas Miller v. Michael LePond: Too bad you don't hear much of Myung in later DT albums, because he's let rip with some riffs in places that reminded me a lot of Thomas Miller, who's easily one of the best bassists I've ever heard...absolutely inhuman! Between those two, I can't tell who the winner would be...I'd have to hear the two duke it out onstage to know which is better. LePond...well, he just doesn't seem to be as prominent in the mix as Miller would be, although he is very skilled indeed. Myung may just have the edge over him.

Michael Pinnella v. Kevin Moore v. Jordan Rudess: If I knew anything about Sherinian I'd add him here, but I don't. I would say that in technical terms, Pinnella demonstrates his much more than Kevin Moore. However, Moore does seem to know how to USE what skills he has to greatest effect, overall I like him as much as Pinnella. But Jordan Rudess...sorry, but Pinnella DOMINATES Rudess. Rudess is all chops and no composition or feeling AND I think he's at least in great part responsible for tarnishing DT's former glory. Pinnella, on the other hand, is highly skilled, but the arrangements he helps create have a sweeping, emotional quality. I'd like to see Rudess make a whole orchestra come to life!!!

Jason Rullo v. Mike Portnoy: Easy--Rullo wins this hands-down. Better sense of rhythm, more interesting riffs (or whatever you call them when it's percussion you're talking about), and better mixing of the drumset into the overall sound. (Now, Walling had the same annoying kind of mix Portnoy uses...however, his skill makes up for it by STILL solidly beating Portnoy to a pulp.)

Overall, I think that Portnoy and Rudess are the weak points that keep me from enjoying all of DT's output as opposed to just some of it. Symphony X is the better band, but Dream Theater does have some talent that shouldn't be ignored. Symphony X blows the current stuff out of the water--but the Kevin Moore-influenced DT is tougher competition by a lot.

9. karelrulez

karelrulez Member

I'd like to see a 'The Mars Volta vs. Dream Theater' poll over at the DT boards. My god they're obsessed with that band over there.

10. ProgMetalFan

ProgMetalFan In the attic

The Mars Volta is amazing. One of the freshest sounds to emerge in recent years. The new album is a monster. The Mars Volta > Dream Theater

11. Insidious Tangerine

Insidious Tangerine New Metal Member

Everyone who's replied to this thread is a fool. Seriously, sure, Labrie, who may not be very good live NOW (jesus, at least give him SOME credit, he's like 50!), but really, watch Live In Tokyo to see why DT is leagues better

You can't even put Rullo on the same level as Portnoy. All I've heard from Rullo is basic metal drumming. I can't believe how much better Portnoy is. His work with OSI was amazing. You can't possibly have heard OSI and think
    Rullo is better. (Of course, both drummers pale in comparison to the best of them all, Mark Zonder).

Petrucci far exceeds Romeo. Not only is he more versatile (Yes, there's actually more to guitar playing than tapping) he writes way more interesting riffs. And isn't that what really matters.
    Oh yeah, listen to Lie and The Great Debate for awesome solos.

Admittedly Allen is a lot better than Labrie, but most people who listen to DT don't do so for James's voice, and many even dislike it (Myself included, to some extent).

Kevin Moore's probably one of my favorite keyboardists. Absolutely PWNS Pinella. Kevin shows how you can not be very technically accomplished but still compose moving pieces of music. I think JR's about equal to Pinella, though he's way more technically adept.

You can't even compare Myung and LePond. YtseJam people? Eveything Myung writes kills.

Both bands have horrible lyrics. DT's are lifeless and trite, but on the other hand, I think SX's are cheesy and trite. I really think fantasy lyrics suck.

Plus I think SX is HIGHLY influenced by DT (Its so obvious, jsut listen to I&W) to the point of ALMOST being one of the "DT ripoffs" that make Jarzombek from Watchtower hate modern "Progressive" metal.

12. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

these kinds of comparisons are pointless. while one listener may favor technical complexity, another may favor a certain expression. not to mention that what is "good" is entirely subjective.

i don't think either band is better than the other to my ears. SX is more fantasy, more 80s influenced than DT which is more hardrock, shred. i like both. no need to bash either band.

13. Yngvai X

Yngvai X Dark Emperor

Does that include you? :D

14. kazahana

kazahana ha ha!

Of course! I now see the error of my ways. It's not about what I personally prefer. Thank you so much for pointing out to me that I should enjoy listening to Dream Theater more because you say so.

15. Victory is mine

Victory is mine New Metal Member

Ok here I speak from experience, I've seen Dream Theater live and the vocals were fine most of the time but bordered on the painful whenever LaBrie had to put in some effort. Russel rules, bring on the Allen Lande Project!

SO Petrucci is more versatile huh? Name one thing he uses in his solos that MJR doesn't. Certainly there are no techniques (tapping, sweeping, legato, tremelo picking, wah) to speak of, and whilst Petrucci may lean more inthe jazz / blues direction, Romeo has neoclassical on his side (BIG plus). In terms of technical ability and speed I don't think either guitarist has a lead on the other, I just really, really prefer MJR's song writing.

Ummmm, actually no... Petrucci's now obvious like of the 7-string means that the guitar and other instruments don't blend together at all, you can really hear all the instruments together but then the guitar's all on it's own chugging away at that 0.52 string and just really sounds at odds with the rest of the music.

16. control-denied777

Labrie's voice is unique,u cant compare him with anyone, and just because u like russel that doesnt mean he is better.Plus i love both bands equally; their style are totally different so stop comparing :erk:

17. Rose Immortal

Rose Immortal Spirit of Hope

Actually, I've only heard one DT song that sounds like Symphony X, and that's "Under a Glass Moon". I wouldn't be surprised if it did inspire SymX, but I think that they used something like that as a jumping-off point to create their own very distinct sound that you'd never in a million years mistake for Dream Theater or a Dream Theater-clone.

Oh, and you seem to have completely missed the fact that I have respect for both bands. It's only Jordan Rudess I have little respect for. ;)

18. Insidious Tangerine

Insidious Tangerine New Metal Member

god I can't believe how much I rule. But still not as much as Dream Theater.

19. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

:lol: :worship: :tickled: :Spin:

20. Metropolis Part 2

Metropolis Part 2 DT and POS Fanboy!

I think Dream Theater is miles better than Symphony X, you know why?

Dream Theater has better musicians, better songwriting, less chug chug guitar riffs(except in Train of Thought), a much more powerful singer with more range and most of all they don't have a generic guitar riff player. I love both bands but Dream Theater is far better than Symphony X in my book. Hell, I can name 10 bands that are better than Symphony X, but I can not name one that has better songwriting, better playing and a more complete drummer like Mike Portnoy.

And I like Dream Theater's style better, so yea..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.