This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Symphony X DVD???

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Marcel Thome, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Marcel Thome

Marcel Thome New Metal Member

Hi guys,

I'm from São Paulo, Brazil. I'm a really huge SympnhoX fan. A question I make to myself everyday is why Symphony X still do not record a DVD? I really want to know that, It would be very good having this wonderful band playing a concert.

Thanks,

Marcel

2. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

3. Legendofinfamy

Legendofinfamy New Metal Member

Russell Allen said something about wanting to do a DVD with a orchestra in an interview awhile back. I hope that it happens someday.

For now, all we have is the Gigantour footage.

4. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

I like the fact that he said they would only do it for something special, such as with an orchestra, rather than just filming a random gig for the sake of it.

5. AsoTamaki

AsoTamaki Member

I liked the fact that he said that too...back around when PL came out. Now, I just kind of roll my eyes. I'll take a random gig at this point. These dudes are in their prime so right now is the best time. Why keep waiting for some perfect circumstance that will probably never come?

6. donKyle

donKyle Member

What if because they want to do a special event for it, the DVD gets a lot of hype and then it doesn't live up to it?

7. Detective Clarence Beauregard

That's what I think might happen. Maybe it'll be one of those annoying concert DVDs that changes shots like every second or something...

8. proulxski

proulxski Welcome To Kanata Eh!

My understanding is they are waiting for the best oppurtunity to make it the most killer DVD ever... When will this happen? No freaking idea!

9. Islandstone

Islandstone Member

I think if they keep waiting for that "perfect event" it might never be a DVD...almost like it sounds like an excuse for not making the effort... they could have filmed their ProgPower USA show for example, where they played both Odyssey and Divine Wings.... just give us that fucking DVD, eh? :p :bah:

10. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

by the time they make a DVD, DVDs will be like VHS.

11. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

I dunno about USA but in Sweden even blurays are like VHS.

12. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

what do you guy use as a medium? downloads?

13. Phanto

or streaming. even my parents use netflix.
    in 5 years I think physical media will be pretty much entirely phased out in sweden. it's such a small country -- when change comes it happens fast.

14. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Wow, interesting. So do you buy licenses to view content, or is it streaming per view? I've always been a fan of physical media because the finite nature of the media assigns value to each disc/tape/etc, and having it "offline" prevents any snatch-back mechanisms. People might laugh at that concept, but if you've been following what's been happening in the e-book world, it's not all that funny. You buy a book, they then delete it from your device because it is controversial, etc. Maybe you get a refund. Not at all where I want my music experience to go. Nor books, for that matter.

Again, interesting.

15. Phanto

netflix in sweden (dunno if it differs from US?) is subscription-based. pay ~10 dollars per month and watch whatever you want. it's the same model as spotify, which is probably the most popular way to listen to music here. there's a freemium version of spotify though (plays ads every 3rd song or so -- I'm not sure because I don't use it :p).
    there was a swedish company pioneering the whole internet movie streaming thing a few years back but I can't remember what they are called. don't know if they are around anymore. netflix will probably crush them in any case.

there's internet PPV but that's usually TV network-based, for sport events and such.

the tax-financed public broadcasting service will start to broadcast everything online starting next month (obviously retaining the TV broadcasting as well). this tax used to only cover TV owners, but now they are expanding it to anyone owning any sort of device that can stream their online services. 80%+ (according to polls I've seen) thinks this is some seriously gay-ass shit. i.e. I would have to pay for the public broadcasting stuff even if I didn't watch it, just because I own a computer.

but like I said I think that's where the technology is heading.
    PC gaming is there already. next generation of gaming consoles will probably convert the entire gaming industry.
    TV-series and movies will be there very soon... what a TV is and what a computer monitor is - it doesn't really matter anymore. it's HDMI in 1080p, and in the future 4K.