This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Symphony X in South America

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by felipesaldes, May 13, 2011.

1. felipesaldes

felipesaldes New Metal Member

I love this band but some of their latest works have lost originality, inspiration, hard work and passion, in my opinion. So does anyone know the setlist that they'll be doing in South America, or in Chile if possible? Second and less important, are they doing the song "The Odyssey"? (I heard that monster live and I was REALLY impressed!!!!!)

2. Detective Clarence Beauregard

Considering that it's a rather short tour (six dates) that begins only a week or so after the North American tour ends, I see no reason why they wouldn't play The Odyssey (they've been doing it on the NA tour). It really all depends on who the supporting bands are, though - they're only playing The Odyssey now because Nevermore dropped off the tour and they have more time to play. They didn't play the song on the European tour, where Nevermore's presence forced Symphony X to play a shorter set.

Apparently they didn't have much time to rehearse before these latest mini-tours, so they've been playing the tunes that they know the best (a lot of Paradise Lost stuff, unfortunately). Their current North American set is:

Of Sins and Shadows
    Domination
    Serpent's Kiss
    The End of Innocence
    Paradise Lost
    Smoke and Mirrors
    Eve of Seduction
    Dehumanized
    Set the World on Fire
    The Odyssey

I also agree with you that Paradise Lost and the stuff we've heard from Iconoclast is lacking the passion and beautiful keyboard parts that The Odyssey and prior albums contained. However, numerous reviews have stated that Iconoclast will have tons of progressive and melodic stuff, so try to keep your head up!

3. metalxmetalx

metalxmetalx Member

"I love this band but some of their latest works have lost originality, inspiration, hard work and passion, in my opinion."

Guys, all these complaints about Symphony X new musical direction reminded me of this video by Twisted Sister in which Jay Jay French says: “All these new fucking bands do is bitch, and bitch and bitch: my life sucks, my girlfriend sucks, my job sucks, my boss sucks, my mother sucks. If you're that fucking depressed, go to a fucking psychiatrist and don't fucking pollute the motherfucking airwaves.”

I would like to parody it and say: “All these Symphony X fans do is bitch, and bitch, and bitch: 'Paradise Lost sucks, the new song sucks, the new album cover sucks. If you're that fucking disappointed, go somewhere else and don't fucking pollute the motherfucking forum!”:lol:

#3 metalxmetalx, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  4. felipesaldes

felipesaldes New Metal Member

It's not like that, I'm don't feel that bad nor I'm talking because I want to complain about anything, it's just a well-founded opinion.
    And Detective, thanks a lot, that answer couldn't be better!!!!!!

5. Detective Clarence Beauregard

No problem, I hope you have a good time at the Symphony X show!

6. kimdelevati

kimdelevati New Metal Member

Already seen Odyssey live, is fucking ludicrous but I'd like to see other songs this time.

They'll play with PoS here.

7. Bart Rabelo

Bart Rabelo Poet & Madman

"I love this band but some of their latest works have lost originality, inspiration, hard work and passion, in my opinion."

Sure you're entitled to have an opinion, but I completely disagree. I love all SX works since I first listened to The Divine Wings of Tragedy many, many, many years ago. Upon the release of Paradise Lost I freaked out on the album, it went straight to my "favorites" shelf. I'm looking forward that Iconoclast will follow the same fate.

BTW, concerning the Rio de Janeiro gig... If anyone cares to join, I'll have a few pints of Guiness at the Lapa Irish Pub starting at 5 pm (local time). It's very close to the venue, just e-mail or PM me for directions.

8. Xtopher

Xtopher Creation's menace

anyone going to the Bs.As. show? need to know of a place near the venue to go have some drinks. ;D
    will be the first time i visit the city, im going only for the SX gig.

9. kimdelevati

kimdelevati New Metal Member

I'll never ever say that again. I'm not gonna lie and say I loved the rest of the setlist and maybe that actually highlighted the song, but The Odyssey is REALLY incredible to see live. I just got chills the entire song ffs, but Champion of Ithaca really takes the cake.

10. Xtopher

Xtopher Creation's menace

Buenos Aires show cancelled?
    anyone know something about that?

11. L. Knight

L. Knight Through lands unkind...

What the hell? I'm from BsAs, where did you read that?????
    Are you sure you're not talking about Uruguay's show? Please don't frighten me like that!

12. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

^ It's not true unless posted by Jax.

13. Jax

Jax Forum Goddess

For those wondering, the band and crew are already in Buenos Aires, and the show will go on Saturday night as planned. We hope that everyone who'll be traveling to the show will have a safe trip!

14. L. Knight

L. Knight Through lands unkind...

Thanks Marwen, Thanks Jax!!! My heart skipped a beat on that one...
    Thought of cheking out the forum, now that "the guys" are visiting us for a third time, and as usual, I wouldn't miss it for the world (or my job ;) ).

Xtopher, I hope you can make it. There are a bunch of bars alongside the Rivadavia Avenue, near the gig. None of them are remarkable enough to recommend, but a beer is a beer :)

15. Thudd

Thudd Member

At least some of you have been able to see them live! Some of us don't care what the setlist is, we'd just like to see them play anything.

16. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

The guys from the beer thread would beg to differ. :p

17. Prog is King

Prog is King Member

^ Marwen, you made my day! So very observant of you.

:kickass: